• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Unipolar mania? (Or hypomania?) Anyone?

U

unipolar maniac

Dear Attempted Humility
First let me say your screen name is perfect. Humility is huge. Ever since I was very young I knew I was blessed with Joy, among many other things, and it always seemed to make people jealous. In my heart I always knew that humility was key to understanding everything. I prayed for humility most of my life, and the answer seems to have been a difficult road. The road of humility is not an easy road.
I believe you have unipolar hympomania and a very interesting case, like mine. I'm 35 now. I have been unipolar manic since 18. I love how you say you have not been unhappy for more than 10-15 minutes since then. My personal experience has been the same. Using the example from my dog bite last night, I shed maybe two tears and then was over it. I was just a little scared for a second, but the bite caused no pain.
I'm pleased to hear that you have maintained a low level consistent state of euphoria. I am shooting for the same. My medication softens everything a little bit, it is just about findind the perfect dose. Too much medication causes me to feel pain, hunger, fatigue. Just the right amount of medication allows for me to feel joyful, painfree, but with adequate amounts of hunger and fatigue...just enough to keep me sleeping and eating enough.
I'm pretty intense too. I purposefully dumb myself down and dial down the volume on my intensity constantly. I'm so pleased to hear you have never gone full manic. My advice is that you do not need full mania. Your spirit has figured out a way to dwell in your physical body without the need for manic outburts. My spirit, on the other hand, seems furious with me for being a doormat, and acting dumber than I am.
I hear that you are easily bored. I am as well, meditation helps with this immensely. I learn really quickly, almost as if I have ESP, so I play dumb all of the time. I do not purposefully forget things though, I have severe memory problems. I like your perspective on memory, and fluidity of ideas.
I believe you and can relate. I think your condition is diagnosable. I believe you have the same thing as me. I call it Unipolar Mania. For you, as you pointed out, perhaps Unipolar Hypomania is a better description. I do not recommend medication. Just meditation. Kudos and congratulations on discovering a joyful, painfree, exuberant, spirited life!

U

unipolar maniac

To The Joker

There is a new kind of bipolar disorder called Bipolar type 3? No depression only manic episodes? How do I get my diagnosis changed. Does the diagnosis matter? I take Zyprexa and it seems to work perfectly. Yes you can go high without going below neutral after. I understand that in this brain mechanism the type 3 never depletes his serotonin receptors, it protect you after the mania. I feel that I have manic episodes to protect me from something. Similar to the way that one goes into shock when necessary. In fact have had countless injuries that were major in scale and severity, having never felt any of the pain. As I type I have several unexplained injuries. They are unexplained because I did not feel them happen. I hear you have a degree in neurology, psychology, sociology and chemistry. What is going on in my brain? I feel no pain, no fatigue, no hunger. I feel euphoric like I have massive amounts of delauded in my vains. I know what that feels like because I was once given some for my severe burns. I am ecstatic all of the time. I feel as if I also have some kind of ESP and control over my own body. What is going on? Please explain.

F

FirstHandWitness

I know this is an old thread, but my husband undoubtedly suffers from unipolar hypomania.
There is no elation for him. It is cycles of irritability, anxiety, racing thoughts, lack of sleep and hyperactivity that after several weeks will culminate in some significant act of self (or family) destructive behavior.
His first severe, diagnosable episode was in his early thirties, but he has suffered from milder cycles for much longer. Over the past year he has gone through about 6 cycles that lasted about 4-5 weeks long broken up by about 2-3 weeks of normal behavior before another cycle started.
There is nothing desirable about any of it, it's destroying our marriage and I'm afraid it will impact our kids if he can't get it under control soon.

J

JohnPaul

I have "Unipolar Mania"

I have been diagnosed as Manic-Depressive or Bi-Polar yet I have never experienced depression. I only get manic. I was hospitalized several times for months in 70's. Last time in hospital was 1980. Since 1982, I have only taken medication when I or my wife sense a manic episode may start. The medication helps me sleep. It is now Risperidone 1 MG. My primary Care renews it every year to insure potency. I have taken about 12 pills in last 3 years

I have tried to find out more about my type of BiPolar or Uni-Polar illness. That is how I ended up on this forum. I can relate to a lot of witnesses who describe their Mania but don't relate to the their subsequent depression. My Aunt had Bipolar but she got severe bouts of depression.

It is rather pressing to realize that no one has bothered to follow up on my case after being admitted to two different major hospitals. There are studies but individuals are not followed properly. (IMO)

Last edited:
R

Raphaeli Z.

I was diagnosed Bipolar as a teen. Bipolar II in my 20's. My Doc and I just call me hypomanic and he treats me as an individual case because none of the popular forms or prescribed treatments apply. He has me on a great regimen and it works for me.

So, recently I wanted to find 'my people' just to relate because manics/hypomanics/Unipolar Manis, seem like the step children of Bipolar. I feel like the BIPOLAR community, sufferers, Dr's, Original Trailblazers put greater value and weight in the depression. That focus is why I have never had a foundation, really good understanding of my own disorder because I don't have depression. Hypomania is my normal state and I can have severe manic episodes, infrequently.

Does anyone identify as manics/hypomanics/Unipolar Manics? I'm interested in discussing it. I've never related to another mania dominant much less met another one.

R

Raphaeli Z.

I know this is an old post but I'm researching my disorder of 25 years and I suffer mania without depressive periods. The lowest my mood goes, I call normal people energy and it only lasts a week, 10 days most. I sleep 7-8 hours a night instead 3-5 when I do sleep, I'm always at a high pace - talking, working, reading. I can be extremely productive. I am medicated but not to the point I don't have my mania, it is just controlled so I don't have episodes. My worst, I didn't sleep for 7 days and was highly manic for many weeks, stabilizing on a new medication at 3 months.

I'd discuss if you're still interested. I'm looking for people like me but I have a lot of knowledge about Bipolar. Not only personal experience. I have my degree in Psychology and I've worked in the Mental Health field almost a decade.

Let me know.

Thanks.

F

flob-e

Unipolar Manic, not Biolar !!!!!

I know this is an old post but I'm researching my disorder of 25 years and I suffer mania without depressive periods. The lowest my mood goes, I call normal people energy and it only lasts a week, 10 days most. I sleep 7-8 hours a night instead 3-5 when I do sleep, I'm always at a high pace - talking, working, reading. I can be extremely productive. I am medicated but not to the point I don't have my mania, it is just controlled so I don't have episodes. My worst, I didn't sleep for 7 days and was highly manic for many weeks, stabilizing on a new medication at 3 months.

I'd discuss if you're still interested. I'm looking for people like me but I have a lot of knowledge about Bipolar. Not only personal experience. I have my degree in Psychology and I've worked in the Mental Health field almost a decade.

Let me know.

Thanks.
Hi, I would be interested to discuss with you. My boyfriend had been diagnosis Bipolar 8 years ago after acting manic. Since that time he ended up to hospital nearly every year after, always for being manic. He never experienced depression episodes and felt very low only when he was given Risperdal. He felt great all his life and couldn't understand why the doctors wanted him to feel low. He stopped the medication several times until last year when he manic episode went too far (by using drugs mainly). He got force to take medication, they give him abilify by injection to make sure he takes it. Today the mania is gone but also his personality, he lost quite a bit his confidence and his enthusiasm. He is blaming the medication but the doctors tell him it his is illness that make him fell low. Me and I have been trying to get explanations from them, why did he never experienced depression if he is bipolar ? Why the only time he was feeling low was on strong medication ? They've been ignoring us.
Today I strongly believe that he is not BIpolar but Unipolar Manic and I would like to help him find himself again. Maybe with lower doses of medication ? How is it possible to handle Manic episodes while keeping this hypomanic attitude which he calls his personality.

Thanks if anyone can help !!