• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Unipolar Mania anyone else have it?

D

Doc

I am a 32 year old male and I have a professional career making a good living. I joined this forum because between the Ages of 29-31 I had four or five episodes of mania with psychosis ( 3 requiring hospital stays) with delusions and hyper religiosity. I was diagnosed as bipolar 1 but I have never had a depressive episode in my life. I have never been depressed, but I have been anxious in times of great stress in college but I do not have anxiety at all. I don’t do any drugs or drink alcohol. The episodes all happened in the summer months and lasted weeks. During those times I was extremely euphoric and I would not sleep or be tired. I also would eat infrequently or not at all. The psychosis was coupled with delusions or grandiose thinking. Primarily being a prophet of God and such. Also I would see patterns in things that had no pattern such as a commercial coming on the tv answering a question that I was thinking at the time and that was just one time. Paranoia was for the most part absent except for the first manic episode where there was a bit for 2-3 days. The psychosis has happened all of a sudden before. It also has been a gradual escalation over a week. The manic episodes last for 1-4 weeks. The only thing that bothers me is that my diagnosis does not fit because of the lack of depression stages. I found out that there is something called unipolar manic which makes more sense. I also read that unipolar mania does not respond to lithium. The doctors attempted to use lithium but mine didn’t respond. Does anyone have similar experience to this? Mania without depression? I have not had an episode in a year and I feel Normal now, but sometime mania comes out of nowhere for me. The mania does feel awesome but it sure is a burden with my career and being hospitalized. Thanks in advance!

O

On Fire

I would think antipsychotic medication like Aripiprazole, which is also licenced for maintenance of bipolar type 1, might be more helpful than an mood stabilizer.

O

On Fire

Are you currently taking any medication? What medication do you get prescribed in hospital?

D

Doc

I have a strong tendency to get stiff and restless on many antipsychotics as a side effect to the point that ordinary daily life becomes impossible. Giodon works but I get stiff on it a little and the psychiatrist just discontinued it. Haldol and Abilify I have been on but horrendous side effects they both induced Parkinson’s like symptoms. Currently I’m only on depakote and seroquel and that seems to work.

D

Doc

Additionally I read that in a few studies the third ventricle of the brain is dilated in bipolar 1 but not in unipolar mania. I have had an MRI and my third ventricle is normal.

D

Doc

Also I’m wondering if anyone else has hyper religious mania and what that experience was like for you. Thanks!

D

Dice

Hi Doc. As I understand it you don't need to have depression to be diagnosed with Bipolar 1, despite the apparent misnomer at play, because mania is only a feature of bipolar 1 and nothing else. You only need one episode for a diagnosis as well, so having multiple espisodes as you had is a certainty for them to diagnose you with it, and rightly so by the sounds of things. You can have years of remission between episodes and may never have another one again for all anyone knows. But either way, if there's anything you've been told to follow or avoid, I'd take that advice on board and always keep in mind that you have this thing and to manage your life accordingly to best look after yourself and keep it at bay.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Bipolar Forum 4
JessisMe Bipolar Forum 2
JessisMe Bipolar Forum 8
D Bipolar Forum 5
wraziel Bipolar Forum 2