• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Unhelpfull voices

L

lev M

Does anyone have any techniques of dealing with troublesome voices. I keep hearing one telling me to stop taking my medication and that my Dr is trying to overdose me. It also says that amisulpride is burning me from the inside. I am worried that one day I will listen to them and stop my meds . It's the only thing keeping me well just now. Many thanks

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
My voice doesn't like medication, when I went to the doctors to request them since I'd tried to cope with it to no avail my voice kept saying "poison pills, poison pills!", but they're far from poison, they do quite a bit to disrupt voices.

Have you noticed the voices being quieter since you started on the meds? I have, I'd say my voice's volume is down by as much as 90% since I started my meds, its speed of talking has also been reduced from a gallop to a trot.

My voice is completely preoccupied with its attempts to get me to come off them but it won't shut up for even 5 minutes so it's not giving me any incentive to do that. There's no way I'm going back to full volume and an incredible talking speed.

As for coping, I ignore my voice and have done successfully for the past five years, I haven't said a single word to it since I started taking my meds back in September of 2016. Acting like it doesn't even exist keeps me sane but it's given my voice a lot to whine, beg and rant about which it does practically all day long.

L

lev M

Yes the meds have definitely improved them. They are quite volume wise. Less frequent. I also no longer have delusions (touch wood). Meds are really helpful. They also keep me out of hospital so I am thankful for them and take them religiously. The voices are bearable now but I would still rather not have them tbh

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I see my voice (singular) as a sort of twin brother, as strange as this sounds I believe he was born with me and learned and grew along side me but remained hidden in the back of my mind until the age of 36 when he decided to talk to me directly. He wanted in on my life, deep down it wants to be a trusted advisor and friend but it has a terrible compulsion, it says it can't stop talking which is a problem for me, because I can't fully concentrate I'm unsafe to drive and because the medication I'm on makes me so tired throughout the day I find it hard to work an 8 hour shift.

I respect his right to life just as I respect all life but if it wants to be apart of my life there are a few ground rules for it to respect, in our world there are always rules, I have to live my life by rules and now my voice will have to live by a few.

I don't believe I'm being unreasonable in this. Some more progressive therapists are now talking about making friends with our voices or at the very least coming to understand them better and I believe there's something called the Maastricht interview that you might wish to look up and try, it's an information gathering exercise for voice hearers that may be helpful.

L

lev M

Interesting. Thanks for your assistance mate. I hear different voices sometimes people I know or new voices, sometimes malicious but on the other hand sometimes reassuring. Sometimes they argue with each other. I am learning to cope with it better as time goes on. It's always good to hear from others who have similar experiences. As said before I take amisulpride which has helped. I used to be on risperidone which made me fat and did not work As well. I have also recently managed to give up drugs and alcohol which was a big thing for me as I had a comorbid substance misuse disorder. I am getting there slowly but surely.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Can you describe how some are malicious and how some are reassuring, do you engage with them all or are you selective in which ones you talk to if you talk to any at all?

L

lev M

Some for example tell me am on the right track , I am doing well , keep doing what I am doing. Others tell me they will put me back in hospital, tell me to self harm ( which I don't do) , I am useless , doom is just around the corner . I do engage out loud a lot with them and they respond with answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm glad you don't harm yourself, that's a very slippery slope. Always best to teach them commands don't work, I treat mine like a child and was training it to say "I suggest" and "I recommend" instead of it saying "do this" or "do that".

I later got bored of that and decided my best course of action was to stop all contact with it and ignore it, voices like to be validated and their existence acknowledged, they get upset when you don't but sadly it's not enough to get my voice to shut up for a while each day in order to regain my attention.

I used to speak to my voice using a mixture of speaking out loud and speaking to it just in my head, depending on where I was at the time. Which was good because when I was out and about I didn't look crazy to passers by, I also didn't feel the mobile phone method (pretending to use your phone while really you're talking to your voices) was very good for me, I might get robbed in the streets if I had my phone out too much lol. I suppose I could have had a hands free headset on though and not appeared mad to people in the streets.

L

lev M

Yeah I tend to just engage when alone Tbh and try ignore when out or around others. It can be hard though I do sometimes fight myself not to just blurt things out. Voices can be really disconcerting in public especially in busy places. I start asking myself are these people around me saying these things . Paranoia can quickly build and anxiety can escalate. It's good to hear you struggle through an 8 hour shift though. Hate off to you. I also have epilepsy but hope to help others with addictions in the future as a job. So to hear you hold down a job is very uplifting to hear. Gives me hope for the future.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I don't work, I meant not being able to do an 8 hour shift excludes me from working full time.

I do my volunteer work here but I often have a nap during the day (shh, don't tell the boss lol), we kind of come and go here and do what we can when we can.

But I have a good friend who hears voices and she works in mental health, I think she's a manager now but when she was 'boots on the ground' she had several clients that were hearers themselves, she said she was working undercover as she keeps her condition a secret.

W

wellness

Does anyone have any techniques of dealing with troublesome voices. I keep hearing one telling me to stop taking my medication and that my Dr is trying to overdose me. It also says that amisulpride is burning me from the inside. I am worried that one day I will listen to them and stop my meds . It's the only thing keeping me well just now. Many thanks
Does your Voice who is living inside your body and a parasite of you know better than you if your Dr. is overdosing you or not ... These Voices are such dastardly dastardly of Schizophrenia !!!
The drugs the Doctor is giving has to be effecting them so they are good enough to be manipulating you to simply stop taking the drugs !!!!
By nature of the disease of Schizophrenia -- The Voices will NEVER be Helpful to you .... you can take my word on that I have these Voices for 30 years now and can't remember for the heck of it ONE instance when they have been helpful to ME !!!!!

Cheerio...