Unhelpful CMHT appointment - considering private

C

cocacola487

I have struggled with my mental health for all my life and have been in and out of therapy for the past 7 years. I am currently on 100mg of sertraline to help my low moods and anxiety which is really helping.

Basically i am more than certain I have a personality disorder, or bipolar. I relate to every single borderline personality symptom quite strongly, and I would be here all day if I were to write out all my problems so im sure you can believe me.

After 7 years and a change in doctors I finally got referred and accepted by the CMHT in Sheffield. I was really really looking forward to my appointment and seen it as my last chance and really hoped for a diagnosis to understand myself . However the assessment went awful and left me feeling a lot worse.

The nurse basically told me I have most traits of BPD but she is not qualified to diagnose me, so even if I do have it, I wont get diagnosed purely for the reason of just getting a diagnosis. She said I would need to be seen by a medic, and would only be referred to one if i was in a "crisis" which apparently im not. At this point I broke down, which is not common for me as I hate the idea of crying in front of strangers. I told her I was terrified of what I was going to do to myself or others and I dont know what to do and im scared. At this point she referred me to a community help group for BPD (even though she wouldnt diagnose me??) I feel completely devestated and let down :cry:

I am now considering trying to get a diagnosis through a private sector, I know that I don't need to be "labelled" to get help, but for me personally, this would be the best help I could get, as I could finally start to understand myself. I have absolutely no knowledge in the mental health private sectors but I am hopefully looking for one that I can go to in hope for a diagnosis. I am a student in Sheffield but am prepared to travel anywhere for the best quality, although I know it may be expensive, I am looking for something as cheap as possible, but please if you have ANY suggestions cheap or expensive please let me know as I will pay the extra money if it means getting the help i need.

If anyone has ANY advice or experience on getting a diagnosis through a private mental health sector I would really appreciate the help. I am quite desperate right now so even if you can offer anything that may be good information for me please dont feel shy :)

thank you so much!

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. I'm afraid I know nothing of private consultant psychiatrists and don't know of any on here. I think there must be some in London but otherwise I don't know. Can you not ask for a referral to the MH sector for this? The doctor is supposed to refer people on if requested. I guess they are inundated with referrals and that is why they are a little circumspect with this.

There is nothing like diagnosing yourself to get into a muddle. I think we tailor our understanding to fit lists and omit things that don't fit without realising it. I hope you get someone on here who can help you.

P

Pollypop

Hi. You sound to have been really let down by the mental health system.
I understand completely the amount of frustration and anxiety you are
having.
I have been in a similar situation with CMHS. (although not with

Has your GP ever referred you to a psychiatrist?

I was so badly treated by areas of myCMHT that I went private.

I am attending The Priory in Altringham, Cheadle.
They deal with a vast amount of mental health issues.

You can either choose who you want to see or give details of
your problems and they will choose the relevant area for you. I got
Details on google.

The fee for my Dr is £250 for the first session of an hour.
You can then keep in touch by phone (email the secretary)
Further appointments are £125 for half an hour.

I don’t know if any of this is useful but contact me again if you
want more details.

I do hope you can find something that suits you.

Wishing you well, x

P

Pollypop

UnhelpfulCMHT appointment considering private

Hi. You sound to have been really let down by the mental health system.
I understand completely the amount of frustration and anxiety you are
having.
I have been in a similar situation with CMHS. (although not with

Has your GP ever referred you to a psychiatrist?

I was so badly treated by areas of myCMHT that I went private.

I am attending The Priory in Altringham, Cheadle.
They deal with a vast amount of mental health issues.

You can either choose who you want to see or give details of
your problems and they will choose the relevant area for you. I got
Details on google.

The fee for my Dr is £250 for the first session of an hour.
You can then keep in touch by phone (email the secretary)
Further appointments are £125 for half an hour.

I don’t know if any of this is useful but contact me again if you
want more details.

I do hope you can find something that suits you.

Wishing you well, x

M

mrspoon

When I was able to go private some years ago thanks to my parents health insurance.It was basically see your GP and explain your issue and ask for the name of a psychiatrist and explain you can pay ,either through insurance or self pay. I got to see one within the week. I was seen at the priory hospital chelmsford. A warning though, and again just my experience of private health care. 1 I was misdiagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia put on high doses of anti psychotic drugs basically 3 years of my life were wasted and it maybe contributed to me ending up in a care home as I was taking drugs I should not have been taking. No one questioned my diagnosis as the psychiatrist had a very good reputation.2 If they decide you need to go into the priory as an inpatient they are the complete opposite of the NHS it was difficult to get out until your money runs out,I tried to leave but was threatened with a section, once my parents insurance ran out they kicked me out anyway.

Iam not suggesting you couldn't be misdiagnosed on the NHS or wrongly put on anti psychotics, but just be aware that what you might get private won't be any better than your admittedly rubbish experience with the NHS.

C

cocacola487

Hi

wow thank you all so much for taking the time to read and reply with help, im overwhelmed!

calypso, thank you for your reply :) im not quite sure what you mean by the referral part, do you mean I could ask my GP to refer me to a private mental health team? I have a doctors appointment on tuesday so I was going to ask him for some suggestions. I agree with you with the self diagnosis etc, I totally understand why people tell me I don't need a diagnosis to get help, and I agree!! I just feel like im at a point of my life where I am happy with my medication, and also trying to get on with my life, and a diagnosis would help me personally, for myself, to feel better, which is something i dont normally put first. It would also help a lot with uni/work, it gets a bit embarrassing/ upsetting having to find proof of my mental health history for certain aspects of life, it would be a lot easier to have an official diagnosis to prove my struggle

Pollypop, thank you and yes that is so much help! No my GP has never referred me to a psychiatrist, even after 7 years of on and off therapy (that failed) this is the first time I have been seen by CMHT after trying and going to the doctors literally 100s of times, this is why i feel so let down as I worked so hard to get here :( WHat would I say to my GP to be referred to a psychiatrist, i dont have much knowledge on this? Do you have any idea if I can go private just to get a diagnosis, for example just pay for one assessment? I'm not really looking into a treatment plan as I do feel comfortable with the medication im on atm and the help i have been offered, i just feel like a diagnosis would be the only thing to make me actually okay in myself!

mrspoon, thank you for your reply! I will definitely mention your points to my GP on tuesday! Since writing this post i am having second thoughts about going private as I have found mixed experiences, I think the thing that appealed to me was the time frame, as everything through the NHS takes so long, and i feel like i have been so so patient for the past 7 years and been through so much which a lot of people would complain about, for them to still let me down I just feel like I've had enough :( I am not really looking to be an inpatient as such, as I don't think I need that and there are definitely people who need that more than me, I am stable, I just worry what will happen in the future if I dont get a diagnosis, as I feel like at this point in my life I can be stable, but im worried something will go wrong and that'll be when i properly flip, and i feel like having a diagnosis will help me understand my emotions and prepare myself for when I know I'm going to have an "episode"

again thank you all so much for your help and kind words, it really means the world to me that people have actually taken the time to help me :)

x

M

mrspoon

My advice would be to keep on at the GP and keep going down the cmht route. Unfortunately it can be a case of he/she who shouts loudest. These days resources are tight and unfortunately cmht's don't seem to really move until you have become a risk to yourself and/or others diagnosis seems to matter less to them these days I have a PD and complex trauma and I get much more support now than when they thought I had schizophrenia ,it's about firefighting there are people with paranoid schizophrenia who get very little support , especially danger to others means they will probably do something ,whether it is appropriate or not is another matter ,and it's not when you tell them you are a risk to others its'when they decide you are.Ironically the more I seem to deny Iam a risk the more support I get! It's weird how they work.

. .

I actually think poor help with the cmht is worse than no help! Because they make promises which they don't keep to,they make judgements about you that might be wrong and you end up leaving them worse than you were when you were taken on. You do need to ask yourself if they are helping you.

I would be tempted in your position to ask for a second opinion privately but the other problem can be, if you show the likes of the GP/the cmht an ability to pay for private health care they could knock your even further down their lists as a priority and bare in mind private mh care can get very costly espeically over the medium to long term and as I have pointed out it varies in quality just like the care on the NHS.

Imperfect though it is I would stick with the cmht's.

C

cocacola487

I replied to this and am confused where my reply has went, it may be being reviewed, ill give it an hour to go through and if it doesnt ill type it again. Just didn't want you thinking im being rude by not replying!

thank you :)

C

cocacola487

ugh, by the looks of things i must of just deleted it by accident or something so will type a similar reply again...

thank you so much for replying again! this is SUCH a big help!

i think i am going to take your advice and stick with CMHT and just keep pushing! I have been patient in the past so can stick through it!

What you have said about little help being worse than no help is completely true and exactly how i feel :( i wish i could go back to before I had CAT and didn't realise i had a deeper problem than anxiety, but i guess that would create a problem in itself.

i am still going to mention the possibility of going private to my GP on tuesday, however i am going to emphasise how much this will only be the last option for me as i can not at all afford this and would have to work very hard in order just to pay for one session, therefore it will only be if i am completely desperate and still being let down by CMHT!

I hope everything is good with you too!

:hug5:

Cazcat

Cazcat

I think that the fact that the CPN agreed that you may have BPD and referred you to a BPD group actually work in your favour. They are right that they can not diagnose you as they are not qualified but it gives you more evidence to take to your GP when asking them to refer you to a psychiatrist. Also check out the NICE guidelines for BPD Borderline personality disorder: recognition and management | Guidance and guidelines | NICE as these set out what care you should be receiving. Keep making a fuss about this as it is a case of those who shout loudest get more help. And if you are not happy with the service you are receiving you can make a complaint via PALS (patient advice and liaison service)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tigergirl Services 8
N Services 6
N Services 2
N Services 3
mami5 Services 5