• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

unhappiness and depression

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Does anyone think that they can go hand in hand or are you one or the other?? I ask cos I am unhappy with certain aspects of my life, my body is one, the fact that I never seem to be able to attract anyone, the feeling so unsettled with life and just desperate to acheive more than I have but completly unable to do so. However this goes in hand feeling completley unworthy and worthless but is this the depression or just cos I an unsatisfied with my life and maybe my current existance is what is my deserved pathway. I sometimes feel so selfish feeling the way I do and hate myself for being so. sorry for the rambelings people

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
I think the two things kind of merge into each other for me

Does anyone think that they can go hand in hand or are you one or the other?? I ask cos I am unhappy with certain aspects of my life, my body is one, the fact that I never seem to be able to attract anyone, the feeling so unsettled with life and just desperate to acheive more than I have but completly unable to do so. However this goes in hand feeling completley unworthy and worthless but is this the depression or just cos I an unsatisfied with my life and maybe my current existance is what is my deserved pathway. I sometimes feel so selfish feeling the way I do and hate myself for being so. sorry for the rambelings people
Hi,
I think that sometimes Im unhappy, and everybody can be unhappy, but when you're depressed, its more an unhappyness that wont go away (for a while).

Im female, and I cant seem to attract a man at the moment, and I wonder why, but I think its probably because Im not having many opportunities at the moment to meet men/ or rather men seeking a friend/ special friend... My friends and family keep trying to tell me to go on a dating site... but I think that because Im a little low at the moment, I ,ight just go on a date and cry!
Ive a feelign that wouldnt help me much.

I expect you will meet someone special- but they'll probably come along when you're concentrating on another part of your life.:)

Last edited:
yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I think the first thing to remember is to try and start liking 'yourself'.

Whether you suffer from anxiety or depression or both,it's important to try and achieve some kind of routine.
Gentle exercises during the day can be very helpful.

:)

D

Dollit

Whether you have depression or not everybody gets unhappy or dissatisfied with their life at some time or another. Had this discussion with a friend this morning actually. We were talking about how your 20s are the most confusing time of your life and how nothing seems to fit sometimes (not that I'm in my 20s but he is and I remember them very well).

Depression tends to be a whole self experience - body, mind and soul. Unhappiness is, for me anyway, about recognizing discontent and doing something about the thing that causes the discontent. :tea:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Whether you have depression or not everybody gets unhappy or dissatisfied with their life at some time or another. Had this discussion with a friend this morning actually. We were talking about how your 20s are the most confusing time of your life and how nothing seems to fit sometimes (not that I'm in my 20s but he is and I remember them very well).

Depression tends to be a whole self experience - body, mind and soul. Unhappiness is, for me anyway, about recognizing discontent and doing something about the thing that causes the discontent. :tea:
You make a really good point Dollit.

I think that trying to look for the positive things in a day can be really helpful.
Achievable targets,that's what I aim for :)

D

Dollit

I have to remember the three things that I can't change are people, places and things though I've had a hard time with that today - a nosy neighbour, the supermarket and the leaky mop bucket. I've had some bad, bad experiences in the past but I refuse to let them into my present or my future and deal with memories as they arise. I won't be a victim but I can understand how easy it is to get locked into a place when you think you can't move on from. I think we have to learn which are choices and which are immovable objects in our life and then the difference between being unhappy about one aspect of your life and being depressed becomes apparent. Things can change and if you're open to change life can be easier. Is that total waffle?

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I have to remember the three things that I can't change are people, places and things though I've had a hard time with that today - a nosy neighbour, the supermarket and the leaky mop bucket. I've had some bad, bad experiences in the past but I refuse to let them into my present or my future and deal with memories as they arise. I won't be a victim but I can understand how easy it is to get locked into a place when you think you can't move on from. I think we have to learn which are choices and which are immovable objects in our life and then the difference between being unhappy about one aspect of your life and being depressed becomes apparent. Things can change and if you're open to change life can be easier. Is that total waffle?
No it's not total waffle Dollit.

You obviously find ways of separating the 'good' and the 'bad' (if I can put it that way) which is a fantastic armoury to possess.

:)

D

Dollit

I have a GP friend who says my sense of logic is a blessing and a curse! I know what he means but it does help to be able to divide things. Especially with mental health problems. We have to separate ourselves from the illness and know which is which. The only to move forward.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I have a GP friend who says my sense of logic is a blessing and a curse! I know what he means but it does help to be able to divide things. Especially with mental health problems. We have to separate ourselves from the illness and know which is which. The only to move forward.
I can understand that.
I accept that I have up and down parts of the day and have come to terms with having to 'grab with both hands' the good parts and to cut myself off at the bad parts of the day.

D

Dollit

Exactly and at that point you can differentiate what makes you unhappy and what is actually depression. A logical process. (Don't I sound like Data?) :D

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Exactly and at that point you can differentiate what makes you unhappy and what is actually depression. A logical process. (Don't I sound like Data?) :D
Data is cool ;)

This is what my gp told me Dollit.
It's about constructiveness and routine :)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Some very good points made here .

Life is one big learning curve :)