• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

unemployed for a while and very depressed

V

VincentPriceJr

i quit my last job over a year ago and have been trying to find a new job since. I have found several that have been willing to interview me but...I'm afraid to go through with it. I think there are a few reasons for this:

1. I think I'm afraid to go back to work. My last job made me so unhappy that I am amazed I lasted as long as I did and didn't have a complete nervous breakdown, and I don't want that to happen again.

and on that note

2. every job I could get where I live seems...kinda terrible.

3. I don't know how I can move to somewhere where I could find a better job. you might say to save money to afford to move, but i've been down that road before, and it just lead to me being trapped in a job i hate, isolated from all of my friends, and eventually the last glimmer of hope that i could ever have something better was slowly extinguished.

I got referred to a job program by my therapist, and everything they've gotten me to apply for either sounds terrible or, on the rare occasion i we find something good, never contacts me. I ended up not going to an interview for a job that sounded absolutely terrible, and now I have no idea what to say to the job coach when he calls and asks how the interview went. I feel like we may have jumped the gun on starting this program honestly.

I went to college and my mental health went completely into the toilet during my last year and I only barely graduated. This completely derailed me and I have no idea how to get back on track. I'm not even sure I know what the track is!

There has to be something more than this. Life can't just be "going from bad job to bad job while being isolated from everyone." Because if it is, what even is the point?

A

aisha23

I can't work and it really sucks knowing that I will never be able to support myself

hugs!

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I don't work either; working with a mental illness can be hard.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

I know it's scary, but having a job can be really important. That sense of routine can help with mental wellbeing a lot, and a lot of places have really supportive environments and teams, as lots of people can relate to mental health issues! Plus, having that income is important to ensure you live a more comfortable life as well. It's scary, but facing your fears can really make your life better here - easier said than done of course, but you'll thank yourself for taking that leap :)

L

Lab rat

I can relate to all of this. I don’t know how I would cope if I relied on work to exist. Mental illness can make it impossible to work and we all need a safety net. For me it’s knowing that I only have 9 more years of it until I turn 55 and then it’s done with.