• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Understanding...

amathus

amathus

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”

(Joanne Kathleen Rowley)

We all ask for a 'public understanding', of Mental Health Issues, but do we understand each other?...
..is it helpful to know where each of us is coming from?

What do you think?

meteos.

A

Apotheosis

do we understand each other?...
What do you think?
To be blunt NO.

I watched the program on UK asylums last night;

Among the views were -

'Care in the community' was the most Freedom giving thing for people with MH difficulties in the last Century.

'Care in the community' was the worst mistake of the last Century in relation to the care of the 'mentally ill'.

Neuroleptic Drugs were a major breakthrough in the care of the mentally unwell.

The introduction of Neuroleptic Drugs caused huge amounts of suffering for people; & was a huge step backwards.

Asylums were a better way of treating people.

We have greatly moved on from the Asylum system.

You get the idea - whenever & wherever there are MH issues; people dealing with MH issues, & the people connected to their care - it is very difficult for anyone to really agree on anything. From within the groups of those suffering mental distress - no one can agree. This is imo another reflection, to a degree of the attitudes & disagreements of society; but is also a fact of the highly individual & complex nature of people; & incredibly complex & largely unknown nature of the human brain/psyche.

Psychiatry is a genuine science, psychiatry is a made up nonsense, MH diagnoses are genuine medical conditions, MH diagnoses are a made up nonsense, Meds are good, meds are bad, locking people up is good, locking people up is bad, psycho-surgery is good, psycho-surgery is bad, depth psychology is good & very highly effective, depth psychology is bad & ineffective, psycho-spiritual methodology is highly effective, psycho-spiritual methodology is nonsense, MH difficulties have a Biological basis, MH difficulties Don't have a biological basis, people can recover med free, people don't recover med free.......& on & on & on.....

You get the picture.

Last edited:
A

Ainsworth

erm interesting

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”

(Joanne Kathleen Rowley)

We all ask for a 'public understanding', of Mental Health Issues, but do we understand each other?...
..is it helpful to know where each of us is coming from?

What do you think?

meteos.
I think in a way we do understand others but not as well as we should or even able to. no-one holds all the answers. MH ranges are wide and what one thing means to one doesnt mean the same to others, for example depression, quite a high percentage of people have had some type experience of this but all of those range into a different scale or degree in the way it affects them or even how long it lasts for.

lots can idenify with what i write or the manner in how i say things, they 'get it' without me having them explain it back to me. they see, hear and feel the emotion, pain and behaviour (pattern) which is a good and bad thing. good they understand but bad they also feel this.

Understanding = acceptance..... to me isnt the be all, i have lots of people around me that dont understand because they dont think in the same way as me, they try to understand but even though they find that difficult they still accept me.

i dont need to be accepted by everyone just the people who share my life. public opinion on my MH issues doesnt interest me because it can come from a blinkered place and lack of interest from being placed in a box by them with us all being the same, which of course isnt the case.

where i would like more understanding is with the people who treat us, they really (for some reason) dont understand. i know my p-doc didnt with me and that is when i do feel alone and forgotten and that the life i lead is acceptable to them, which of course it isnt.

S

*Sapphire*

Being a good friend to me is not someone who stands back and lets you carry on if they think you are not coping with things very well.

My best friends are the ones that accept my issues but not my destructive behaviors. They challenge me when they think I might be falling into an old unhelpful thiking pattern.

I would be sad if my friends felt that they HAD to accept me the way I am.

If they just sat back and watched and said it was fine, where would the catalyst for change come from?

The worse thing a friend could say to me is "go on make yourself sick, or have an alcoholoc drink if you feel bad, I know it's not good for you but....."

I think too many people in the world are just standing back and saying things are fine, look at the death of Michael Jackson, fooled into thinking by those around him that he was fine, when in fact they were probably too scared for some reason to tell him the truth. That cost him his life....

S

*Sapphire*

I was going to mention this earlier, but I was stuck for the word.

I think acceptance and tolerance are two very different things.