• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Understanding Voices: What is hearing voices?

v01ce5

v01ce5

What is hearing voices?

Voice-hearing is associated with a range of psychiatric diagnoses, including schizophrenia, psychosis, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, dissociative identity disorder, PTSD, anorexia and severe depression. But hearing voices is not a sign that someone has a mental health problem. Some voice-hearers live well with their experiences without ever needing psychiatric help. To learn more about this experience, download ‘What is hearing voices?’

What is hearing voices (downloadable PDF)

S

ShirleyHart

I hear voices often and they often mock me and seize on my vulnerabilities. Sometimes I watch TV and believe they are talking about me although I suppose that's some kind of paranoia perhaps. The psychiatrist put me on Chlorpromazine (Largatical) to address this problem but it hasn't made much difference. Am I on the wrong medication to avoid hearing voices?

Thank you.

N

natalie

Due to my mother not being very well in labour, while she was expecting me, I developed mental health problems, and brewing up more prominent, years later right fr om the word, go, from being born. Unfortunately, it was a med drug, that the department gave mum, and that caused such problems for me, and for he r.

I'll hear voices, through in my older years, from t rauma, stress, and or tiredness, also, apart f rom hearing voice condiiton itself, i suffer with what we call in the mental health world, intrusive thoughts, these would be people feeling like, talking about me for no aparrent reason, and I suppose in a similar way, it's a bit like paranoia.

I personally take Aripipazole, or other wise known as Abilify, (I have a feeling that somebody might come along to also agr ee with me), and t his is a marvellous med, and allowing for a certain level of dose, to prevent intrusive reactions, hearing voices, and paranoia to then flare up.

I became unwell, back in 2004, and placed finally on this brillaint med, back in 2007 I personally wouldn't have any other differnt med, to counteract mental health hearing voices, etc.

However, these years, I tend to have the problems of intrusive t houghts and paranoia, much more than hearing voices.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P My schizophrenic understanding of hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 2
G Understanding Voices Hearing Voices Forum 6
E need help understanding Hearing Voices Forum 3
hORIzonFINK210 out of all things/ voices Hearing Voices Forum 3
K My 10 year old is hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 4
G Multiple voices Hearing Voices Forum 1
O hearing voices only when stressed, extremly anxious etc Hearing Voices Forum 3
W How to Deal With The Voices Interrupting Your Dream Sleep ? Hearing Voices Forum 1
P Will the voices consume my life completely? Hearing Voices Forum 3
I Hateful voices telling me to die right now. Hearing Voices Forum 20
B Is this hearing voices ? Hearing Voices Forum 4
N Heard Voices - temporarily/Sinusitus Hearing Voices Forum 6
L Unhelpfull voices Hearing Voices Forum 10
G Are you friends with the voices? Hearing Voices Forum 2
B Tensor Tympani ear control really annoys my voices... Hearing Voices Forum 0
S Picking Up The Thread - something my voices say they do Hearing Voices Forum 1
H Violent Voices - Do you have them? Hearing Voices Forum 5
Q Anyone voices ever went away permanently? Hearing Voices Forum 25
jojoe The voices are real!! Hearing Voices Forum 7
calmleaves ***TRIGGER WARNING: discusses physical, sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse*** Is it possible that i hear voices because of traumatic experiences? Hearing Voices Forum 8
M Meth induced voices Hearing Voices Forum 5
hORIzonFINK210 Recovery is so crucial to cope/voices Hearing Voices Forum 5
R Voices Have Me Concerned Hearing Voices Forum 4
B Hearing creepy voices Hearing Voices Forum 5
L My Voices *trigger, briefly mentions SH* Hearing Voices Forum 10
nenexx Fear of HEARING voices Hearing Voices Forum 34
W Voices have gone too Chronic and Berserk Hearing Voices Forum 7
Bod Voices Hearing Voices Forum 2
telepathic_one Can you manipulate the voices? Hearing Voices Forum 14
I Voices are now mad at me Hearing Voices Forum 16
D WOMANS voices Hearing Voices Forum 12
I Audible voices, intrusive thoughts ruining my life Hearing Voices Forum 12
E Will you miss the voices if they were gone completely? Hearing Voices Forum 23
D Negative voices Hearing Voices Forum 2
mischief Engaging with Voices Videos Hearing Voices Forum 4
T E_90 Does this mean hearing voices? I would just like clarification Hearing Voices Forum 5
R Poor services for Hearing Voices Hearing Voices Forum 4
doomsayers Voices telling me to do bad stuff *Trigger Warning* Hearing Voices Forum 180
Emikin HELP ME PLS VOICES BACK AGAIN Hearing Voices Forum 25
Z Methodology of 'VOICES Hearing Voices Forum 6
Takingmybrain Funny voices Hearing Voices Forum 2
doomsayers Loud voices Hearing Voices Forum 13
telepathic_one Weekend Voices Hearing Voices Forum 5
Hello513 Do your voices have strange tendencies. Hearing Voices Forum 1
E Does the voices you hear always say the same thing to you or does it change depending on how you are? Hearing Voices Forum 6
E Anyone fluent in multiple languages? Which language is your voices in? Hearing Voices Forum 3
NWiddi When to tell a potential love interest you hear voices? Hearing Voices Forum 22
A I have been hearing voices since 9 years Hearing Voices Forum 6
S Voices and reality Hearing Voices Forum 6
P The voices are gone Hearing Voices Forum 11