Understanding emotional states

Pixie37

Pixie37

I've been given more homework from my nurse who is working with me on my BPD.

I've been given a sheet called HOW CAN WE UNDERSTAND EMOTIONAL STATES?

So at the top is:

HYPERAROUSAL = Overwhelmed, panicky, racing thoughts, feel unsafe, anger, impulsive.

In the middle is:

"WINDOW" = Feel calm can think clearly, relate to each other, can remember things.

And at the bottom:

HYPOAROUSAL = Numb, can't think, empty, "DEAD", disconnected.

It's kind of like my high and lows. I've found it helpful to identify exactly what i go through when i am in hyperarousal and hypoarousal. So i just thought i'd share this with you all. (y)

maxitab

maxitab

Pixie, this is good information and I am copying it so thank you. I know you are working very closely with your nurse - she sounds like she really knows about BPD and helps lots, thank goodness.

If you like this stuff she is doing with you, you might find the stuff on the www.dbtselfhelp.com site helpful too. Not to do anything different to what your nurse said but there are sheets of stuff that are very similar to what you have posted, that you can download for your own use.......have a look, you never know.

Oh, and well done!

A

Ainsworth

wow brilliant, your nurse sounds great. is it a CPN? they wouldnt give me one of those (well saw one once), funding issues :(

mummychickpea

mummychickpea

your nurse sounds great pixie, and the classification sounds just like it is ... and I hadn't thought of it that way

What are we supposed to do when we are not in window mode? How to live and you know, function?

Pixie37

Pixie37

Pixie, this is good information and I am copying it so thank you. I know you are working very closely with your nurse - she sounds like she really knows about BPD and helps lots, thank goodness.

If you like this stuff she is doing with you, you might find the stuff on the www.dbtselfhelp.com site helpful too. Not to do anything different to what your nurse said but there are sheets of stuff that are very similar to what you have posted, that you can download for your own use.......have a look, you never know.

Oh, and well done!
Thanks i will check it out x

Pixie37

Pixie37

wow brilliant, your nurse sounds great. is it a CPN? they wouldnt give me one of those (well saw one once), funding issues :(
Yeah my nurse is good. Shes not a cpn. Shes a nurse at day hospital. Sorry you don't have a nurse :hug:

Pixie37

Pixie37

What are we supposed to do when we are not in window mode? How to live and you know, function?
My nurse has told me the next step from this will be to find out what TRIGGERS ME to go into hyperarousal and hypoarousal.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Ahh Pixie that is really good, and if i read correctly i go from hyper to hypo over the course of the month... with the window lasting about two weeks... very interesting stuff. im currently numb from being in a crises a couple of weeks ago.

maxitab

maxitab

Hi Pixie, this all sounds good and positive and very like the stuff I have done in Therapy too......just remember, not all triggers are conscious......you may be sometimes reacting and not know you what it is that set it off.

In the main though, I too found it very helpful to know the various sates and, when I could, to know what set them off.....

amathus

amathus

Hi Pixie this is interesting and helpful info...I've not heard of those three headings before but I can really relate to them...
I look forward to the next instalment.

Perhaps we should start an online group and find stuff for each other to follow....

qf.

Pixie37

Pixie37

Ahh Pixie that is really good, and if i read correctly i go from hyper to hypo over the course of the month... with the window lasting about two weeks... very interesting stuff. im currently numb from being in a crises a couple of weeks ago.
Yeah i think i'm in the window today having been in hypo.

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hi Pixie, this all sounds good and positive and very like the stuff I have done in Therapy too......just remember, not all triggers are conscious......you may be sometimes reacting and not know you what it is that set it off.

In the main though, I too found it very helpful to know the various sates and, when I could, to know what set them off.....
Yeah my nurse said "you'll know some of the triggers, at times you don't we'll have to rewind" Sometimes i just wake up in a state. Its going to be helpful but scary.

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hi Pixie this is interesting and helpful info...I've not heard of those three headings before but I can really relate to them...
I look forward to the next instalment.

Perhaps we should start an online group and find stuff for each other to follow....

qf.
I'm really glad you've found it helpful too :) and yeah thats a good idea!

mummychickpea

mummychickpea

I downloaded a mood diary recently on my phone ... was hoping to use it to track and see if I can trace my ups and downs. Since I got it, I have been too down to use it LOL

It's meant for bipolar patients I think ... but it seemed useful

When I feel up to it will look at it again and see if I can recommend it.

Am thinking of tracking my hyper-hypo-window moments .... might help me feel I'm doing something

Health visitor told my husband to send my son to nursery/kindergarten. I am very upset about that. Taking him away from me. He's only 2.

Waaah.

C

cfb107

I've been given more homework from my nurse who is working with me on my BPD.

I've been given a sheet called HOW CAN WE UNDERSTAND EMOTIONAL STATES?

So at the top is:

HYPERAROUSAL = Overwhelmed, panicky, racing thoughts, feel unsafe, anger, impulsive.

In the middle is:

"WINDOW" = Feel calm can think clearly, relate to each other, can remember things.

And at the bottom:

HYPOAROUSAL = Numb, can't think, empty, "DEAD", disconnected.

It's kind of like my high and lows. I've found it helpful to identify exactly what i go through when i am in hyperarousal and hypoarousal. So i just thought i'd share this with you all. (y)
Really interesting stuff, P; I relate to this!!!

Pixie37

Pixie37

I'm glad you've got something from this too cfb :)

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
This categorising is very much what I do, though, I have identified 9 categories (or states of mind)

These look very similar to some of mine, plus or minus one thing.

The worst is when the former and latter collide. Thankfully rare for me, perhaps only a few times per year. Generally [I think based on my writing], these are triggered when too many things ALL happen at once, and brain goes into overload with too many things that I can't deal with RIGHT THEN!

C

clairelouise

Pixie, that was so uplifting to read what you and your nurse have been working on and really useful to me. I can relate to it exactly and something I will be monitoring and discussing with my CPN on Tuesday. Thank you. Can you keep posting helpful work you do with your nurse so we can all have a go at doing it ourselves? x

M

madsheep

I tried explaining all this to my OH. Even sent him a picture of the screen. He replied with a blank face bless him. He said that he can never tell which state I'm in because they all seem the same to him. And yet I am now kind of able to tell whats going on. I havent had a 'Window' moment for a long time. Just been bouncing from hyper to hypo. Its exausting. But thanks for posting it up. Maybe I will get there with it in the end. :)