• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Uncontrollable smiling at bad times or during bad situations

J

juju94

Hi. I promised myself that I wouldn’t post again today, but I really need to talk about this because I’d like to get some help and tips on how to get over this. Before I start, this may be triggering to some and this is includes some serious things. This is very shameful for me to post and talk about, and let me specify that I don’t find any of these funny or cute at all, despite what my mind is telling me. So I find myself uncontrollably laughing, smiling, and smirking at bad times. I have no clue why it happens and it bothers me so much. Yesterday my family was telling me that someone they work with has a son and he got seriously injured as he crashed his car. When they told me this I almost laughed and I started to smile. When I noticed it I covered my mouth so they wouldn’t think I’m weird. I felt so bad for it because I didn’t find it funny or anything. Then just today I was watching a video about celebrities getting mad, and this ex-celebrity was in it. It was revealed later on that this celebrity was not nice to children, and they sexually assaulted them (and I’m sure we all know what I mean) I thought about it because whenever I see this celebrity that’s all that comes to mind, and when I did I think it happened yet again. I think I smiled/smirked at it, but I don’t remember. I don’t find this funny or anything at all! What if I did smile or smirk at it?! What does that say about me?! It’s like my mind does it because it knows it drives me insane. I hate when this happens and I don’t know how to get over it. Has this happened to anyone else before? If not that’s okay too, I just really want some help with this.. I feel so absolutely horrible. Thank-you for reading and I’m sorry this was so long.

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don’t know why you’re laughing during inappropriate times but I don’t think you’re a bad person because you feel guilty about it.

If it makes you feel any better I was laughing at this guy that had a stuttering problem and I didn’t feel bad about it. The fact that you feel bad about it tells me you’re not a bad person. Don’t beat yourself up.

J

juju94

I don’t know why you’re laughing during inappropriate times but I don’t think you’re a bad person because you feel guilty about it.

If it makes you feel any better I was laughing at this guy that had a stuttering problem and I didn’t feel bad about it. The fact that you feel bad about it tells me you’re not a bad person. Don’t beat yourself up.
Thank-you for your help. Yeah, I honestly don’t know why I laugh or smile either it’s this weird thing I have I guess. Maybe this whole ocd thing has messed me up pretty bad idk. But thank-you for your help.

W

Weeping_Willow

I have done this since childhood and it is embarrassing. My boyfriend sometimes does the same thing. I always wonder if it like OCD intrusive thoughts that come on because we know they are bad.

G

goodgollymiss

I used to laugh after I was scared or something bad happened. It's almost like having a split personality or dyslexia

Zero One

Zero One

Hi. I promised myself that I wouldn’t post again today, but I really need to talk about this because I’d like to get some help and tips on how to get over this.
I have this. I think they are tics. They have been happening more at inappropriate times since my husband made fun of them. The other day I said something to him in anger and immediately started laughing and I did not want to laugh, I was so annoyed. Usually they happen in context with a joke in my mind (I have psychosis), but they took on a different shade since he made fun of them.

B

Black Despondency

I have what I consider to be a sort of emotional coping mechanism of laughing, smiling or smirking. Rather than dive into possibly extreme negative emotions, I feel like I get some time to process what was said or happened. I don't have much control over my reaction to terrible news or events I sometimes end up laughing or any of the other listed reactions while trying to suppress my reaction. On a positive note, I personally anyways find when when I'm threatened physically the reactions of laughing, smiling and smirking tend to kind of freak people out. Having a nervous laugh is kind of similar and considered not too unusual. I don't think I experience many other positive emotions than being amused, so I think my brain has decided that this is one of it's less self destructive methods of coping with emotions. If you feel the need to explain your reactions telling people you have a nervous laugh might help smooth things out. I need to go to sleep. :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

E

Elisante

Taking a break
Happens to me too (if someone gets hurt, if I get hurt, if I fail at something or if someone is crying). I don't think it has to do with OCD. Or any other mental illness for that matter. It's a natural response to nervousness. You should not feel bad, if you were a bad person you wouldn't care. If you say something immediately after smirking (like how sorry you are for the news you just heard) people won't notice.
If you laugh at very bad circumstances though it might mean that you can't properly express your emotions.

K

karl7

Hi. I promised myself that I wouldn’t post again today, but I really need to talk about this because I’d like to get some help and tips on how to get over this. Before I start, this may be triggering to some and this is includes some serious things. This is very shameful for me to post and talk about, and let me specify that I don’t find any of these funny or cute at all, despite what my mind is telling me. So I find myself uncontrollably laughing, smiling, and smirking at bad times. I have no clue why it happens and it bothers me so much. Yesterday my family was telling me that someone they work with has a son and he got seriously injured as he crashed his car. When they told me this I almost laughed and I started to smile. When I noticed it I covered my mouth so they wouldn’t think I’m weird. I felt so bad for it because I didn’t find it funny or anything. Then just today I was watching a video about celebrities getting mad, and this ex-celebrity was in it. It was revealed later on that this celebrity was not nice to children, and they sexually assaulted them (and I’m sure we all know what I mean) I thought about it because whenever I see this celebrity that’s all that comes to mind, and when I did I think it happened yet again. I think I smiled/smirked at it, but I don’t remember. I don’t find this funny or anything at all! What if I did smile or smirk at it?! What does that say about me?! It’s like my mind does it because it knows it drives me insane. I hate when this happens and I don’t know how to get over it. Has this happened to anyone else before? If not that’s okay too, I just really want some help with this.. I feel so absolutely horrible. Thank-you for reading and I’m sorry this was so long.
this inappropriate smiling happens to me too.....on occasions i hear something bad a smirk can come across my face.......i can assure you in no way do i mean to smile......it tends to happen with my parents.....i do say it to them that this does not reflect how i feel.....its just inappropriate.......I DO NOT WANT IT......i am a compassionate person.....i personally beleive this happens to me as some sort of schizophrenic intrusive thought/action......

anyway what im saying to the original poster, you should nt feel shame, you state clearly that you do not want this and are disturbed by it.....thats a good refelction on your character