Uncontrollable intrusive thoughts

M

mack187

Not entirely sure this is the right thread but I get these very random and uncontrollable intrusive thoughts, only really once or twice a month and lasting about a minute.

It comes on suddenly and out of nowhere and it's thoughts like how weird it is that we're alive and I'll obsess on a particular word and how weird it is and then I try to cycle through words and concepts very quickly to find something I can make sense of and bring me out of it.

It's like all I can do is freeze and just try to get through it but I can't stop the thoughts and then they suddenly go away, it's actually really scary when it happens because they come from nowhere and honestly I feel like my heart is going to stop when I'm in an episode of this.

I have suffered depression & anxiety for over 20 years so feel it could be related.

albie

albie

I like to see how weird it is we exist. That's my entire philosophy. I cherish those moments when the world freaks me out in this regard. I have also been having problems with words being stolen. Hard to explain but now and then a word will be stolen and will then belong to a guy I hate. Whenever I see that word I am forced to think of that guy. It's really crushing.

ThatSinkingFeeling

ThatSinkingFeeling

Mack your experiences sound very similar to some of mine. You should look into Intrusive Thoughts OCD and speak to a professionak if they are causing distress. I find for myself that there's thoughts stemming from a particular issue (ie someone says something which I misinterpret and then obsess over and get repeating phrases & images about) or random things like sounds snd images and words. I've had to receive treatment and change medication a few times whenever it gets worse. I find that once I can make sense of it and gain some control, even if only a little, then it's not so scary. Stay safe.

N

Notaround713

I have had intrusive thoughts daily for the last 16 months and it’s literally the most frightening thing that’s ever happened in my life. Definitely a traumatic event, I stay hopeful that the right medicine will make these sensory episodes, tactile hallucinations or whatever they are that intrudes disappear. I’ve tried several medications, I wish you luck and I’m glad yours only last briefly because it’s definitely frightening.