• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Unable to work?

hanging_in_there

hanging_in_there

Hey everyone

I've touched on this subject with some of you before, but I just wondered who is unable to work due to their MH? How do you cope and do you have to depend on benefits?

I've had MH problems most of my life and now it's looking as though I could have Rapid Cycling Bipolar 2. I am under a CMHT at the moment, but the time between appointments is long and at the moment I'm waiting on a medication change to Venlafaxine and I'm a little worried it may be the wrong med if I actually have bipolar. At the moment I am taking Nortriptyline and I'm finding that my mood swings from week to week. Either feeling quite energetic and confident with hope for the future or severely depressed and unable to eat or get out of bed.

It is dawning on me that maybe I won't be able to hold down a decent job again and if that is the case how I'll cope trying to survive benefits. I am due to be reassessed for LCWRA in December and am getting worried. I don't even know if reassessments tend to take place on time?

I just wondered how you guys cope with this situation and if you can reassure me at all. I have lots of medical evidence but still get scared they won't believe me.

Thank you 💚

Passionflower

Passionflower

I don't work as I have treatment resistant Schizophrenia, anxiety and depression. I live off PIP and money I inherited from my parents.

hanging_in_there

hanging_in_there

I don't work as I have treatment resistant Schizophrenia, anxiety and depression. I live off PIP and money I inherited from my parents.
Thanks for your reply Passionflower. It must be difficult to manage those conditions. I do feel to an extent my conditions are treatment resistant too. Do you worry about PIP assessments? I do. I'm glad you are able to get by with PIP and the inheritance money.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I do worry about having a PIP assessment, but thankfully I haven't had one yet.

I

Imager

My situation is very similar. I feel like a fraud claiming benefits but i have no other option.

I

Imager

Yes I get middle rate but I'm appealing as I have physical problems on top of paranoia, psychosis, depression and social phobia. Every day is a struggle. I have severe tinnitus, asthma and suffer regular migraine attacks.

A

always2020

I would recommend a college to help to return to work if you are well enough.

I

Imager

I would recommend a college to help to return to work if you are well enough.
I've tried to do that 3 times since I was young and each time I've relapsed and left the course with my head bowed. Likewise every job since I was 21.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
on the one hand your expected to work and look for work the other side is the work capability assessment requires you to prove your incapable of all work

mental health workers put pressure on the poor sods in mental health groups, to be into work and recovery and it's sad because they have little chance of work