• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Unable to start a relationship

S

SB

I have quite bad generalized anxiety, and have had some horrific events happen over the past few years, meaning it has been worse then its ever been. I wanted to ask people who also experience generalised anxiety wether anyone has the same problem as me regarding relationships.

I pursued a girl to point where I turned down a dream job abroad so I had a chance of going out with her. I succedded and it turned out she was really in to me. However when we started going out I had a personal tragedy happen and started a very stressful job which I am close to dropping out of. The job causes a huge amount of anxiety. I moved away (not too far) and decided to meet up with her on weekends, we had only just started going out at this point. However every time it came close to going to see her on the weekend, I felt a huge sense of dread and felt very uncomfortable around her and started to doubt if she was for me. I didn't really give it a chance to the point where we never actually kissed. We are from a conservative background but even I knew that was wierd! She tried to become closer to me but I resisted. After a few months she broke up with me, because I could not make up my mind wether I wanted to be with her.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I know it sounds really wierd and I can't work out why I felt such huge anxiety before seeing her when we were officially going out, to the point where I didn't want to even kiss her or hold her hand. There was some added pressure that in my culture things tend to advance quite quickly and I did feel as though I couldn't just go out with her without the expectation of moving everything forward.

The only other person I dated I had the same problem, and I think I can just to scared to commit.

Mayfair

Mayfair

:welcome: to the forums steve,

I don't have any advice for this situation though.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
My_Second_Chance A New Start! People 2
S 32 years old and looking for a new start People 3
B Trust Issues with Relationship and Friendship People 33
Sylphrena Relationship problems People 3
W Still Afraid A bit To Try And Meet People Anywhere And Have A Relationship With In Any Form People 11
B Gf wants to be alone and no longer in our relationship. People 3
Sunshine13 Relationship Separation Anxiety People 1
V Is my relationship making me depressed? People 3
P I'm gay boy and I've been in relationship with bi man for over 3 years but constantly i live in this prison of not doing anything together People 4
E My relationship People 15
E Relationship on Break People 10
F Need help with a relationship. People 30
T Need relationship advice People 4
B Rapid cycling bipolar 1 fiance victim of 10 year relationship with covert narcissist People 2
H Relationship hopes for rest of my life are actually zero !!! People 7
Poison_Ivy1997 New relationship, having trust issues People 1
W Difficult to continue relationship (inc. ghosting) with Dad People 2
C BiPolar Relationship Help. Please. People 1
W Don’t know how to fix personal problems in relationship People 3
MotherLion Finding the strength to move on from bad relationship People 3
F Relationship patterns, intimate and non intimate, why? People 2
D Paranoia in relationship People 1
U Relationship ended because partner needs to be alone People 1
S Toxic relationship People 2
A I can't cope with my relationship People 2
H What do you want out of a relationship? People 31
V Struggling to cope with end of relationship People 1
S Relationship advice.... im an anxious wreck People 4
H fixing relationship People 1
H relationship with my supporter!!! People 1
D Girlfriend's anxiety is putting stress and demands on our relationship. What is the right thing to do? People 3
H I think my relationship with foreign girlfriend is falling out. I need advice to save it. Please!! People 1
B Rebuilding trust in a broken relationship. People 4
B Ive never been in a relationship People 16
M Have I ruined my relationship or is he playing with my emotions. People 4
T I don't think I'm relationship material People 2
D Relationship with family member is making me ill People 8
ThinkingCat sexless relationship People 10
P my childhood and how its affected my relationship with parents People 9
cpuusage Relationship Stages With A Narcissist Or Borderline And Triangulation People 4
X I'm an adult man and I want to live with my parents and have an intimate relationship with them instead of dating. Does anyone else here feel this way People 39
H Paranoid in my relationship? People 1
M Should I keep up my long-distance relationship with a suicidal bipolar person (whom I no longer love)? People 3
H How do I progress in my great relationship without pushing away my overly affectionate boyfriend? People 1
C I feel like I'm never going to be able to have any kind of relationship again... People 2
K Depression in new relationship People 10
Funnyday Relationship wanted People 1
E Relationship Trauma - Dealing with Extreme Projection People 1
D My girlfriend has ended our relationship. People 29
L I'm not used to having a 'normal' relationship. People 2