• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Unable to fit in the workplace and going self employed.

D

Destination Moon

My intuition has often been at me to pursue a singing career, make my own jewellery, write songs, poetry and story's. Almost like a psychic intuition telling me. What I am planning to do. though I haven't done any gigs for a few years now. Hope I can get back to it eventually. I just feel I want to do my own thing. So I plan to go self employed making my own jewellery if the jealous neighbours don't distracted me this time. I know life is to short and I need to work but I felt most jobs I tried wasn't right for me. I feel I could make money from making and selling my jewellery.

I did a couple a of hospitality jobs years ago but I messed up in them and I felt to anxious to try them again. I felt being a waitress wasn't for me I wasn't cut out for it. So for years I was at a loss of what to do. I tried working in various charity shops which I didn't really like. I tried café work didn't like it. Not wanting to do cleaning work either. I was going though a hard time last year with my uncle's dementia. I couldn't think straight with the neighbours harassing and work coachers trying to bully me into certain job's. I was considering on going back to the hospitality work last year but I felt I was coming close to having a nervous breakdown and I wasn't fit to work. Has anyone else felt like this where they couldn't fit in anywhere?

P

Princess Zelda

Yeah I had a problem where job center kept pushing me to find work. I finally tried a job and it ended after two weeks (and I didn't show up everyday) because I ended up having a breakdown so bad I had to go back to the hospital. So I ended up quitting the job, telling them I couldn't do it anymore. Then there's my problem with math. I have dyscalculia so I have trouble telling time and counting money. This already scares me from getting any kind of job.

Because I only had one job so far in my life, I feel kind of embarrassed, but I remind myself that I need to take care of my health first. I also understand not fitting in.

Good luck with everything! :hug:

R

rawlinsc

I can understand the math learning disability is really hard. I tutor people with learning disabilities.

P

Princess Zelda

Oh, Destination Moon, have you tried selling jewelry on Etsy? They have a lot of handmade stuff there and a lot of people sell jewelry there.

Froggie Frog

Froggie Frog

Jewellery making is fantastic! What kind of jewelry do you make? Do you like metal work? Definitely pursue a career in singing, music is very healing!
At the minute I work retail, the jobs challenging, it's very hard to communicate effectively with my co workers but I feel like going to work, pushing myself even if I don't want to go somehow helps. I also have difficulty with counting money but being trained in on a till really helps with this!
I think more often or not fitting in is really challenging but don't give up! You'll find a career path that suits you!
:grouphug:

D

Destination Moon

Oh, Destination Moon, have you tried selling jewelry on Etsy? They have a lot of handmade stuff there and a lot of people sell jewelry there.
I haven't got around to it yet. I have been too distracted with other thing's going on. Hope I can soon.

D

Destination Moon

Jewellery making is fantastic! What kind of jewelry do you make? Do you like metal work? Definitely pursue a career in singing, music is very healing!
At the minute I work retail, the jobs challenging, it's very hard to communicate effectively with my co workers but I feel like going to work, pushing myself even if I don't want to go somehow helps. I also have difficulty with counting money but being trained in on a till really helps with this!
I think more often or not fitting in is really challenging but don't give up! You'll find a career path that suits you!
:grouphug:
I am making pearl and bead jewellery. I hope to learn how to make seed bead and Swarovski I hope I will pursue a career in singing when this lockdown ends. Whenever that will be.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

If you can find even a half decent job, it puts structure and some other positive elements in to your life.

The worst time I've ever had with depression was just after I started working for myself, which was probably the most ill-conceived thing I ever did. All that glitters is not gold!

D

Dal

Yeah I had a problem where job center kept pushing me to find work. I finally tried a job and it ended after two weeks (and I didn't show up everyday) because I ended up having a breakdown so bad I had to go back to the hospital. So I ended up quitting the job, telling them I couldn't do it anymore. Then there's my problem with math. I have dyscalculia so I have trouble telling time and counting money. This already scares me from getting any kind of job.

Because I only had one job so far in my life, I feel kind of embarrassed, but I remind myself that I need to take care of my health first. I also understand not fitting in.

Good luck with everything! :hug:
I don't know if you are going to look for work at any time soon or later, but maybe try looking at Market Research as a recruiter. This is what I do. Part time, up to 28hrs a week. I don't have to do math (I'm bad at that myself).
As long as you don't have anxiety about talking on the phone to others, it could be fine to try.

But yes, try to take care of your health first.

P

Princess Zelda

I don't know if you are going to look for work at any time soon or later, but maybe try looking at Market Research as a recruiter. This is what I do. Part time, up to 28hrs a week. I don't have to do math (I'm bad at that myself).
As long as you don't have anxiety about talking on the phone to others, it could be fine to try.

But yes, try to take care of your health first.
Thank you! I'll try looking into that if I ever need to look for a job. I deal with anxiety, so I'm not sure if I could talk to people. For now I just stay at home not doing much with my life lol. But again, thank you!

U

user9898

Not being able to fit in is a very common problem for us with mental health problems. Becoming self-employed or working from home seems like the best solution but in reality it's very hard to achieve, at least I haven't found a way.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It is extremely difficult to make any money from handmade jewelry because you are competing with cheaper parts and labor all over the world and there are so many other people here already making their own beaded jewelry. I would just encourage you to look for a job that suits you better and pursue the jewelry making on the side.

mom j

mom j

I am making pearl and bead jewellery. I hope to learn how to make seed bead and Swarovski I hope I will pursue a career in singing when this lockdown ends. Whenever that will be.
Hi, I found your profile because I was reading about your uncle in another one of your threads. I was going to ask a couple of questions about your uncle's situation, but did not want to do that if you had already shared more stuff about him in other posts. So I went to see if you had talked much about him and now I discovered you are a singer. That is beautiful! Make sure you are grabbing up your social account links and youtube account so when you get famous you will have it all set in place. If I were you, I would be crooning away and filming it and posting it online. You will be able to make others enjoy your talents and make them happy. And you know what they say about making others feel happy.... Good luck!