• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

uhhhhh ive got quite the cocktail of mental illnesses hello everybody

2008camryhybrid

Heyyyyy I just need someone else who understands what I am going through and maybe a little bit of reassurance. Recently I was diagnosed with PTSD (from trauma when I was 16) and Bipolar II. I really don't know how to feel about it. It feels good in some sense that I have a label like it's kinda validating but on the other hand I feel so uncomfy. Anyone else in a similar situation?? :/

A

Am33

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You are more than any label which is just a temporary condition you are suffering from. A few decades ago if a doctor told someone they had cancer it was a death sentence to most people . Today its not so there are many treatments and most survive from it . So we shouldn't let labels define us which is a mental box. What ever horrible thing that's happened to us in our past no longer exists ,time has moved on .It still in our minds though and we can keep reliving it over and over unless we go in and erase it .Just as you can photoshop anything out of a picture we can do that with our minds any past trauma .There are techniques to do that we have that power and it will no longer effect us as much.

Beorn the Bear

Beorn the Bear

I see it as more than just a label. I see it as a diagnosis which allows a tailored treatment plan to be formed specifically for you.

I was mis-diagnosed some years ago and the medication I was prescribed sent me off the deep end.
So while it might feel unnerving, its really a good thing 🙂

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi 2008camryhybrid welcome to the forum :welcome:

You're not alone in having multiple diagnoses, I have Bipolar 2 as well as general anxiety and social anxiety. I kind of like having a label to put on my conditions but at the same time it can feel like a stigma with certain people and in certain situations like applying for a job.

G

Grace in defeat

Hi, welcome to the forum. Labels can have positives and negatives. Mixed feelings aren't exactly fun, but a lot of people go through this. On the positive side, a label can help you make more sense of your feelings and there are some treatments which you can only access once the label is in place. For example, I doubt you could join a bipolar support group without a diagnosis. But it can also feel restrictive or even just wrong and our feelings aren't always the same.

I do see labels as being optional in a sense. They're there if you need them, but you don't have to accept or use the labels if you feel uncomfortable with them, either generally or in a particular situation. You're usually under no obligation to declare a label as it is basically private medical information and few people have a right to your private medical information. There will be times when it might be better to declare it so everyone's aware from the start and you can put a plan in place to deal with any problems, but it is usually entirely your choice (I say 'usually' as there might be times when you're legally obliged to give complete medical information, such as when you apply for a driving licence or take certain jobs, or there are situations where you're entitled to certain protection and support if you declare it in advance).

And it's certainly the case that some diagnoses can be incorrect (the same set of criteria could indicate more than one condition) or that you change over time. A lot of diagnoses are based on having a certain number of criteria and it's possible to have some criteria temporarily or only in certain situations, such as the very unnatural situation of the doctor-patient relationship, which can be emotionally very challenging and some of the usual rules of interaction often don't apply.

As they're new diagnoses, they're bound to feel a bit odd at the moment because it's a change, even if it's something you expected. It's an uncomfy feeling, definitely, but it's okay and normal to feel like that. You have time now to sit with the diagnosis and see how it feels and how you relate to it, get to know yourself within the diagnosis and find out if it really feels like you. You might decide it's not you or you might find that the validation it brings makes a real difference and the uncomfy feelings you're having now will fade.