• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Type 3 Diabetes and dementia

jajingna

jajingna

I was concerned about insulin resistance, and possibly developing type 2 diabetes, so I made some diet changes. It seems also that insulin resistance is linked to dementia and that diabetics are at greater risk for Alzheimer's and such. Some researchers now believe in a type 3 diabetes in which the brain becomes insulin resistant, which may lead to cognitive impairment.

This is a short video about it:

P

Prycejosh1987

There was this Indian guy that was very muscly, i saw him again a few years later and he looked really skinny. He said he has diabetes. Diabetes can kill, its scary, my granddad suffered massively from it.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, it's scary stuff. Things like insulin resistance, fatty liver disease, diabetes, and other metabolic illnesses are becoming more and more common worldwide. A major reason is all the processed foods in our modern diet, the abundance of added sugar and the use of man-made fats put into food products.

N

natalie

This is news to me, I always knew that there was borderline diabetes, level 1, and level 2, now my father is on diabetes mediction, metforming. I hadn't thouight tha tthere is a level 3???.

Best regards both.

jajingna

jajingna

Type 3 is not an official type of diabetes, the research is still young. It is more of a hypothesis I guess, but appears to have some evidence that supports it. Basically, it's about chronically (could be for decades) elevated levels of insulin in the bloodstream, sometimes they call it hyperinsulinemia, that can lead to all sorts of health problems. One of these is thought to be dementia.