Two Pots? Experiences of peer workers within mental health services

F

firemonkee57

Among the many Aesop’s fables, is the story of the Two Pots. The fable goes something like this:

Two pots had been left on the bank of a river, one of brass, and one of earthenware. When the tide rose they both floated off down the stream. Now the earthenware pot tried its best to keep aloof from the brass one, which cried out: “For nothing, friend, I will not strike you.”

“But I may come in contact with you,” said the other, “if I come too close; and whether I hit you, or you hit me, I shall suffer for it.”

And the moral of this story is: ‘equal partnership is best, and especially that the poor or powerless should avoid the company of the powerful’.

Is this a moral to consider for the emerging story of peer support in mainstream mental health services?

Experiences of peer workers within mental health services

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
peer support is popular it's a cheap work force and for these user worker proffessionals it's jobs for the boys

It's just the trustee system in the old bins put into the community when they moved the hospital out into the commmunity

The peer workers i have had have been awful patronising and constantly building themselves up by putting me down

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what about services liking to attract black workers, know such issues are likely to get the pc lot off on their racism high horse