• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Two of my hearing voices articles

P

peterpoets

I used to get negative and intrusive voices, when I was in a situation where I was isolated, and under a lot of stress, but I changed my situation, I am am now surrounded by some family and sometimes friends. I basically ignored the negative voices (with the help of Stelazine then Olanzapine), and focused and built up good mutually respectful, positive, and trusting relationships with the positive voices, by engaging in dialogue with them. I hear the positive voices nearly every day now, and they care for me and help me to think better. I enclose two of my articles on hearing voices for you all, and which might help you to better understand what I experience with them.

Love and hugs

peterpoets

Hearing Voices and Creativity

The voices I hear and perceive, are female voices, and some of them are positive, educative, friendly, and supportive. I'm glad that I hear these voices, because they are very much a part of my true nature, they improve my knowledge, social skills, and communication, and keep me in touch with the creative and learning spirit.

All voices are in a sense all aspects of every human being, as we all internalise our social and interpersonal experiences to some extent, but they are also very real and definitive differences in society, and which can become internalised by the individual voice hearer to meet his or her needs and requirements.

Some of my female voices can act as a muse, who are able to both inspire, respect, and appreciate the emotional and intellectual skill and ability of a voice hearer. The very strange, but very beautiful, hypnotic and trance-like receptivity of some of my female voices, filters, transforms, and reciprocates the social and interpersonal experiences of other people into the mind, social interaction, and creative imagination.

Whether the fact that I have intellectual discussions and debates with my female voices, means that I'm not being adequately stimulated or represented intellectually in my social life is an interesting point. In some ways this is very true. From my experience, interaction, and observation, I think that a lot of psychiatrists in particular, are jealous of the knowledge and creativity of psychiatric diagnosed people, and very envious of the fact that we have a spiritual and creative realm of our personal and social experiences, which are not controlled by church and state, and which psychiatrists cannot adequately experience, accept, nor understand.

I was very interested and intrigued by what a hearing voices group facilitator said about a member of her local hearing voices group, who also had female, helpful voices, but that the voices eventually said goodbye to him when he was engaged to be married. This raises the question of whether hearing voices is caused to a great extent from love and relationship deprivation. On the one hand, I think this is true, as most members from my local hearing voices group - including myself - are single and very much need and would like relationship partners in our lives, although obviously, some people in satisfactory social relationships hear voices too.

A friend of mine who also hears voices, recently said to me that a person can still be alone in a crowd, and that maybe when he was surrounded by other people in the nineties that he was isolated after all. He added to this, agreeing with this article after reading it, by saying that he doesn't think that voices do develop through isolation at all. Whilst having a love relationship with two people in the nineties, my friend said that he heard lots of voices, and when he was very mentally unwell at the start of the nineties, he was living with friends with whom he used to party quite a lot, and he still heard voices then too. It was when he became more solitary in the last 6-7 years that his voices stopped.

I think it is a mentalism, and a very common misconception amongst a lot of mental health workers and hearing voices group facilitators, to believe that voices develop solely through emotional, intellectual, and social isolation, because whilst there is obviously a lot of truth and accuracy in this, this rather reductionist viewpoint, can also fail to understand the necessary interaction between inner and outer experiences in order to love and learn, and it can also deny and invalidate a persons inner and outer experiences of their past and present life in general.

It can also deny and invalidate the unique processes, experiences, knowledge, wisdom, and culture of psychiatric diagnosed people, and deny the healthy and creative interaction between inner and outer experience and which is required to learn, share, and exchange knowledge and love, and to function in society to our satisfactory or full potential.

It also fails to acknowledge and realise the social interaction strategies, actions, and behaviours, which are oppression, and which can be coerced and enforced upon peoples lives without our individual and general choice, agreement, consensus, or consent.

In my mental health articles, I try to write concisely and with a flow, much like a piece of music or a song, and I write in a manner that reveals glimpses of light, reveals some of my ideas and findings, but which also subtly encourages and inspires people to think for themselves. I don't by any means reveal all of my own social and interpersonal knowledge and findings, as I don't want my knowledge and findings to become elitist and institutionalised.

One difference between psychiatric diagnosed people and other people in society, is that we are often more emotionally assertive and receptive, and struggle to be more emotionally free or liberated. Because of emotionally repressive English culture though, we often have to suppress our emotional expression and receptivity with psychiatric drugs, and which reduces our imagination, creativity, emotions, desire, thinking, consciousness, and awareness.

Hearing Voices and Public Awareness

Public awareness is both a political and a mental health phrase and concept. It is also a psychological one. Whilst public awareness and social consciousness are usually described as something external to the individual mind and objective, there is also an internal and subjective experience of public awareness, and which is absorbed and exists in a dialectical relationship to the intellectual mind, feeling, and thinking.

I sometimes have discussions and debates with my positive voices, and one main function of these voices, is that they ask me questions about things that is based upon common sense and public thinking, and which I would otherwise not think of asking myself. The positive voices, critique and ask me to clarify some of the things I have written in my mental health articles, for the benefit of both subjective and objective public and intellectual understanding.

The questions the positive voices ask me, are unlike intellectual thinking, not of an individual nature, but are much more of a collective way of thinking, and when I am asked these questions by my positive voices, I am asked by a group of many positive voices, and these questions are then asked or represented individually by one, two, or three voices at different intervals.

As an intellectual, I am a lateral and not a common thinker, but I need this inner public awareness in order to think more in terms of how the actual public might or could respond to my ideas, discoveries, and writing, and to both bring knowledge to the public, and to bring some of my thinking, consciousness, and awareness more down to earth.

My positive voices often ask me very common sense but very relevant questions, and which again, I would otherwise not think of asking myself. Ideally, I need this kind of public debate in my actual social life in response to what I experience, think, and write, but I find that the actual public are usually not willing to debate intellectually at all, or not willing to debate with intellectual people.

It is sometimes assumed by medical psychiatry that hearing voices is due to low intelligence, or due to a lower form or level of consciousness. In my experience of my own voices, and my experience and understanding of other voice hearers, I think that hearing voices can be due to both a higher and lower form of consciousness and awareness - simultaneously, and at different times.

Whilst politically in mental health, we are often told about raising public awareness and social consciousness, and whilst I very much agree with doing this, I think we also need to be realistic about it, and to realise the higher process and dialectical interaction of higher and lower consciousness psychologically and socially.

I find that I have to lower my intellectual consciousness and awareness, in order to think in terms of common sense, and to debate and discuss with my positive voices, and which are like the voices of ordinary people. As a result of this interaction between my intellectual thinking and feeling and a common sense form of debate, I am able to once again raise my consciousness and awareness and come up with more intellectual thinking, discovery, and ideas.

Attachments

P

Paul

Thanks for the posting Peter.

Would it be OK if we put up your articles on the INTERVOICE website?

I think they are well argued and powerful statements that I would like to share with our main site visitors.

I was particularly interested in your experience of medication and the help it afforded you. We are (INTERVOICE that is) planning an international congress, provisionally slated for September 2009 and one of the issues we are considering debating is the role medication plays in helping people to cope with their voices.

I was interested to find out more how medication worked for you.

Best wishes

Paul

P

peterpoets

You're very welcome on the two posts, Paul.

Yes, that is fine to put my two articles on the INTERVOICE website.

Medication - Olanzapine in particular - helped me in two ways. Firstly, it helped me to sleep, as I was suffering from tiredness and anxiety, due to so-called mania and sleep deprivation. Secondly, the drug and the sleep, got rid of the very loud negative voice I was getting at that time, and it quietened down all the other voices. The voices that were more audible were positive voices. The positive voices, all the time I was in psychiatric hospital in 2000, encouraged me to assert my rights, and were very good for me in that respect.

I've been trying to send two excellent booklets to the INTERVOICE email address, but my emails keep returning as undeliverable, and it looks like someone there has blocked me. Can you tell me why this has happened, and whether you can unblock me? My email address is: [email protected]

Kind regards

Peter

S

SuperZ

Peter,

Your paper sounds exactly like something out of this free book:
http://sacred-texts.com/eso/cdg/index.htm

It's great that you were able to change your relationship
with them. The pagan/wiccan groups call them spirit guides
or elders; ancestry. Some definitely seem to have a problem
respecting borders/boundaries.

Szzz

T

terri

THE HOLY LANGUAGE DESCRIBED BY EMMANUEL SWEDENBORG.
GG"The most ancient manner of writing was that of representing things by persons, and by words, by which was understood something altogether different from what was expressed. In such manner, indeed, that nothing was literally true just as it was written, but under these narratives something allegorical was understood. Thus they set forth the various affections under the forms of gods and goddesses, to which the heathen nations afterwards instituted Divine worship; which may be known to every scholar, since such ancient books are still extant. This method of writing they derived from the most ancient people, who lived before the flood, and who represented to themselves things heavenly and Divine, by such as are visible on the earth and in the world, and thus filled their minds and souls with joyous and delightful perceptions. The

"most ancient people as they had communication with spirits and angels, had no other speech than this, which was full of representatives, and in every expression of which there was a Spiritual sense. . . . Hence it may appear how far man afterwards removed himself from heaven: when, at this day, he does not even know that there is in the Word anything else than what appears in the letter, not even that there is a spiritual sense; and whatever is mentioned beyond the sense of the letter is called mystical, and rejected on that account. Hence also it is that communication with heaven is at this day intercepted, insomuch that few believe there is any heaven, and, what is surprising, much fewer amongst the learned and erudite than amongst the simple."

then so be it

T

terri

Peter,

Your paper sounds exactly like something out of this free book:
http://sacred-texts.com/eso/cdg/index.htm

It's great that you were able to change your relationship
with them. The pagan/wiccan groups call them spirit guides
or elders; ancestry. Some definitely seem to have a problem
respecting borders/boundaries.

Szzz
Oh Rabina

i cant stop crying watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cG7_jheC8A

Oh My God, what a song, how come they never got back together and doesn't the love flow, oh my goodness, where's my hankie. we must not half get together somehow someway somewhere one day, now must we? Yep, I'm off for linen and lace!!!

R

rabina

Terri,

I'm just seeing this for the first time now.

Well, I can't cry at you don't bring me flowers, but you go right ahead.
Cry away.

Now, I really do like drop the pilot; that's more my speed.

Thanks Terri and stop crying now.

I'll cry tomorrow for you.

Do you really use linen and lace???

rabina

T

terri

Rabina

Of course.

It's for truth.

I am English so I love lavendar also.

Linen and Old Lace and lots and lots of sweets perfumes from gosh, what wonderful roses.

Thankyou everyone,

Ah, I can't stop crying

Lots of Love

Cherished