• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Two deaths at Cov & Warks MH Hospital when on 15 minute watch

shaky

shaky

A story that was on the TV and radio - but isn't on the website
A silicitors firm has been called in to investigate two deaths at the Caludon centre in Coventry that serves Cov and Warks patients over two deaths of inpatients who were on 15 minute watch.
One committed suicide in 2012 and an apology has been given.
The more recent one was a woman who died in the night and it wasn't noticed until 7:30am when rigor mortis had already set in.

shaky

shaky

I find this depressing as we go into hospital for our own safety. They are supposed to look after us in there. And they are not doing so.

B

BAGGPUSS

Am not surprised one bit I was on 15 minute watch and well had something going on, the nurse women came in and saw my feet at the end of the bed and ticked her box to say I was ok, after that someone found me and all the alarms went off.

they dont check on people properly all the time........ makes me fume.

rip to those two patients and the many more xx

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
I don't know what more could be done. Either sedation or restraints?

Maybe some people go into hospital for their safety, some people go in because they are forced to.

With the not checking on them properly. I think it is a fine line. Would you want someone waking you up every 15 mins to check you are still alive?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member

Maybe some people go into hospital for their safety, some people go in because they are forced to.

With the not checking on them properly. I think it is a fine line. Would you want someone waking you up every 15 mins to check you are still alive?
yes suicide watch is one of those tortures used in prison ostensively for medical reasons, a friend was in hospital and they woke him every 2 hrs

Jonwal

Jonwal

Some people need this so the ppl that want this should get it and the people that want to sleep should b left alone. It's not fair on either party to suffer the others misfortunes.

Darkred

Darkred

This is something I've mentioned before. In the hospital I'm in they sometimes don't come for 3 hours. And even then they just look at you for a whole 1 second and leave.

However, it's impossible to stop someone killing themselves if that's what they really want. 15 minutes is more then enough. They're not meant to wake you up every check they do if you're asleep they're meant to check you're still breathing.

We all know the system isn't perfect. I've been sat there drunk and no one on the checks noticed, sat there self harming no one noticed.. forgot to put something 'sharp' away before they came and it was sat in plain sight and no one noticed.

I think the problem is laziness and lack of caring. In my situation on the checks I get 'alright' and the door is closed again before I can even answer. They don't take time to check your mood or stay long enough to clock if you're really breathing under those sheets. It's one of the many reasons the system is shit.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
in my 1st bin 40yrs ago there was a sign that if anyone brought in alcohol or drugs they're treatment would be terminated, nowadays no ones voluntary and most people would be quite happy to have they're treatment terminated

Darkred

Darkred

in my 1st bin 40yrs ago there was a sign that if anyone brought in alcohol or drugs they're treatment would be terminated, nowadays no ones voluntary and most people would be quite happy to have they're treatment terminated
Completely agree. Before I came into hospital my psychiatrist put me on 'hold' so to speak cause of drinking but when I drank in hospital they moved me to a higher security :rolleyes:

S

secretsurvivor1

This is a very upsetting and worrying subject. I have been an inpatient for a few months twice now. My experience of checks was the same as DARKREDs. In my case they looked through my window, did not even come in. FOr the 1st 3 nights I couldn't figure out how to turn the light off (some new energy saving technology that if you move the light comes on again, even turning over in bed. I was trying to sleep (after many sleepless nights before my admission) with a fluorescent tube overhead which kept going from paler to bright light all night?!?
I was rocking and self-harming but they ticked that I was asleep on the checklist, and told the Psychiatrist I had had plenty of sleep.
But recently I met a woman who told me her 33 yr old daughter killed herself while on the same Psychiatric Ward I had been on. SHe was on constant supervision, but she wrote a note that explained that, when they asked her if it would be ok if they left her alone for 20 mins she believed they were challenging her to kill herself, or giving her the opportunity at least. She harmed herself and could not be resuscitated. This mother also fought the doctors in telling them she had suffered tick bites which had caused a huge skin reaction (the daughter rode horses and had dogs). She told me that the doctors laughed at her when she told them her daughter's depression was caused by LYMES DISEASE. There is now an NHS website about it to say that it can make you suicidal when you were previously happy. And an extra long course of antibiotics can cure you. But at the time the doctors were reluctant to give out antibiotics.

I am sure most of us, like me, are depressed for solid factual reasons, but it is important people realise that this disease can make a person without those problems suddenly very suicidal.

Last edited by a moderator: