• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Two Books That Should Be Required Reading

E

ettiene.dyer

The two books are:

1. "Mad In America" by Robert Whitaker. Mr. Whitiaker began his research with an open mind and a hard look at the history of mental health care. Although mostly an US history with some European ties, it details without flinching the forced march that the mentally ill have undertaken, with brief periods of real help, from the beginnings of America, to present day. EVERYONE associated with mental illness should read this book. Packed with research, told almost like a mystery novel, I came away with my research and experience being validated with new insights and inspiration and hope, that I wlll not have to take pills for life, and help could be available if we demand it.

2. "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker. An over view of studies and case histories regarding basis of the introduction of neuroleptics and other so called psych "medicines". How entrenched psychiartry holds onto its "magic bullet" concepts of drugs that do more harm than good and make the few rich at the expense of the ill.

During my research I avoided these books because I was told they were anti-psychiatry. But my research lead me to the point where I saw Wizards of OZ and what is really going on. Instead pummeling people with a bunch of forum posts, I recommend these books.

If you do not read them, you are being willfully ignorant. The word has to get out there for real change and real help to happen.

F

firemonkee57

I'd have more time for Whitaker if he was able to take a more measured and intelligent position on psychiatry, acknowledging it as flawed and,yes, in need of some reform rather than irredeemably bad.
His website and its contributors hardly give a balanced picture of the merits and demerits of modern day psychiatry.
To buy into Whitaker wholesale you have to,to a large extent, disengage your ability to think, and buy into a fanatical antipsychiatry position that as bad as a fanatical, and blinkered,pro psychiatry one.

O

one-less

I've heard of the whole anti psychiatry thing but only loosely looked into it. Will consider these as I'm unsure of how I feel about it.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What about 'Spot The Dog' I found that inspirational!! Every time I read about his trip to the park it makes me wanna go :)

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What about 'Spot The Dog' I found that inspirational!! Every time I read about his trip to the park it makes me wanna go :)
My other half gets me to play spot the dog when we go out. He says I get half a point for a small dog and a whole point for a large dog. It's based on who spots the dog first, and I usually win.

He says he treats me like a 5 year old because most of the time I act like one :)

E

ettiene.dyer

I'd have more time for Whitaker if he was able to take a more measured and intelligent position on psychiatry,
You obviously have not read any of his books firemonkey57, I know you well, you took the hook, line, and sinker of psychiatry.

Read them then respond, you would not be writing what you are, if you had.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'm been wilfully ignorant and i'm proud of it, since when has anti psychiatry been a balanced view

F

firemonkee57

i'm been wilfully ignorant and i'm proud of it, since when has anti psychiatry been a balanced view
Neither antipsychiatry(as opposed to critical of psychiatry) or it's blinkered pro psychiatry counterpart are balanced in their views.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Neither antipsychiatry(as opposed to critical of psychiatry) or it's blinkered pro psychiatry counterpart are balanced in their views.
To become balanced both camps must offer their arses for a depot injection.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i haven't had a depot injection for decades but still get this pain in my arse when i'm under stress, one dealer said he knew what that was the psychiatrist when i had one and the gp say it's scar tissue, i wonder if theres a broken bit of needle in there somewhere, i can't get an x ray to check it seems, sometimes wonder if they're sneaking up on me and giving me injections without me knowing it