• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Two bad experiences

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Was called in to see my GP yesterday. She has got to write a report about me for a job I was going to take up but couldn't due to a relapse. I was in there for half hour dragging up stuff from when I first got ill 25 years ago. It was seriously a bad experience, I started to panic and sweat profusely. I just wanted to get the hell outta there let me tell you. So after al these questions and answers her answer try these homeopathic pills. I was gobsmacked with it all. There I am obviously in a state and this was her answer. I still can't get it out of my mind all those bad memories and experiences that were dragged up I feel pretty edgy.

Bad experience number 2 is a sort of feeling you don't belong. I don't know if it's me but I had to pop into my permitted work place today I was doing full time there before I relapsed and I felt totally as if I had no right to be there, like I was looking at it from someplace else. I don't know if any of you get this but all I wanna do right now is get in my car and just disappear I feel I've had enough of it all.

M

mikey_d

Founding Member
Bad Experience

I can relate to your second experience in some, not that I was able to return to work after it made me ill. I totally avoided going near my place of work or even places where I could bump into my colleagues. It would just make meincredibly anxious. I have been told it was a phobic anxiety. Which seemed to over simplfy my problems.

Brimble

Brimble

Founding Member
social anxiety

Hi Mad Hatter and Mikey

Yes I feel out of place often! Always want to run and hide from folks.

I had a job where I loved the product (books) and kept trying to fit in despite being very socially anxious. I reasoned that I had as much right to see and care for the collection as anyone else but holding on was too hard. Now I absolutely avoid old workplaces - terrified of seeing old colleagues - even those who were/are OK.

It is hard for most folks to understand social anxiety, I don't feel anxious with my GP however, I feel a bit protective of him, as he has tried to support and believe in me against all the government pressure, especially when I was in receipt of IB. The DWP doctor made me anxious though! His grasp of English was tentative and he invented stuff in my capability assessment. Indignant I went to appeal and won but the DWP persisted with the pressure on my GP. So be aware Mad Hatter that your GP is being stressed out too!!

Social anxiety makes me physically sick, I have to rush to the loo and chuck up sometimes. Other than that I can shake, babble and blush until I escape social situations. I always note the exits so I can run if necessary - at the very least I try to keep by a door so I can escape very quickly.

When anxious I keep thinking " I don't belong here" and that is even within my own family. I don't know who I am or where I belong really!

Glad to read you guys feel the same sometimes - dont feel so alone now!

Brim

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Its a pity we cant have a gathering of all of us that suffer with this. Then we could empathise with each other, but then again no one would probably turn up;):D

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Social Anxiety

Hi Everyone, Social anxiety is a curse, in my case its a sympton of other deeper problems, although thats not the case for everybody. I've been seeing a psychologist for over a year for CBT to help with this issue and others, but still suffer daily from it. When out I do deep breathing, say positive affirmations to myself in order to calm down, but the panicky feelings are always there, they are so debilitating. Has anyone any tips that has helped them to cope?:scared:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
One that i use is when im in a supermarket and my breathing begins to get funny, i go to the freezer section and put my hands in. It looks a bit weird but i think its the shock of the cold on your skin that calms you.

Its worth a try

Brimble

Brimble

Founding Member
Hi Daffy!

I know it is so very odd to fear people, maybe its people overload as I've always been in customer service. You'll be astonished to know I work in a football stadium too! I can hide in an impersonal crowd and I like watching the football. I can handle all the supporters happily - smile them in and out and promote the skills of the team.:)

I do all that is required in terms of dealing with the public but draw the line at having to cope with the staff up and down’s too. I tend to be a bit remote once work is over and shut myself away a bit to recover from the smiling!! Even when we are (unusually) 3 goals down I will keep advocating belief in the team.

How do you get along with/in the social world? As you can see I hide whilst operating!

Brim

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi Daffy, thanks for that, since i'm at that 'funny age' that tip could provide dual purpose relief!!:)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Roxy,hehe hadnt thought of that. Im beyond all that but it could have come in useful:D

Brimble,I worked for a very large company in open plan offices and could just about cope with that, cos you can hide in a crowd. When i got promtoed tho and there were only 6 of us in an office I found communicating difficult. I then had to start going to meetings and then later chair the meetings which i found harder and harder. My work was good but my social skill were non existant. I was also expected to go to social gatherings and eventually the stress of it all became too much and i havnt worked for 5 years now.

I think if i was younger i may have been able to go back to work but i dont think its feasable now