• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

TW Ptsd emotional and drug abuse

fireandairo

fireandairo

TW i am going to talk about my own experiences with my past and i hope someone can tell me what they think.

At 17 years old, i met my first "real" boyfriend. He was an avid weed smoker, i mean 15-20 joints a day and at this time, i was young, impressionable and definitely wanted to seem like a cool stoner girl. So, naturally, i smoked everyday with him ignirant to the abuse.

What makes this story 10x worse is that at the time of meeting him, he was in the early stages of paraboid schizophrenia. I did not know this at the time as i had no awareness of the illness myself. However, there were things that seemed odd but as I was so young I brushed them off bc I thought he was the "one". Long story short, he emotionally abused me, accused me of cheating everyday, called me horrible names and refused my help. He would even get paranoid about me looking at strangers in public.

He was also an avid drug user and because i wanted to impress him, i took cocaine and ketamine often with him (which he asked me several times to buy for him to which i would). At the time i thought this was normal. Looking back, i have not only caused trauma for myself but now a list of mental health problems i didnt think i would ever get. I was very ignorant.

One time he had a schizophrenic episode to which he locked me in his room and cellotaped the doors so i couldnt leave. He was seeing people that werent there and thought he was going to die. This was very traumatic for me as i was so young and had no clue how to help. I stayed up all night with him until 11 am when the crisis team came to evaluate.

I was told several times it wasn't healthy for me but the abuse and manipulation kept bringing me back.

Its been 2 years now and i dont really think about him, however, i notice my anxiety has gotten worse, I struggled for a long time to watch tv and relax doing the thing's i enjoy, i was a slave to his abuse. I sometimes have flashbacks of the events but nothing too extreme, however its affected my motivation, happiness and anxiety.

Could i be suffering from ptsd? I never thought I could be until i read more about it online.

Thankyou

Architect

Architect

Yes you are suffering and probably need a break from drug use and abuse. You should think about talking to someone who can help like a relative or friend who can help you. Drugs can make it seem easier in the short term but long term use can lead to serious problems like you described your ex-boyfriend was suffering from.
Taking a break from drugs use really works and you should get high on life and reality instead. When I'm ill and can concentrate enough I enjoy reading as it takes my mind off mental stuff.
Personally if you haven't done so I would see a doctor perhaps ask to be admitted to hospital it really helps ease the pressure and gives you free time to relax and concentrate on yourself and your own well being.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Is this part of PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
O PTSD and blocking most events out Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
S Support with Partner Who Seems to Be Struggling with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C PTSD cheating/physical abuse.. partner doesn’t support me.. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
K I have OCD and PTSD, a recent guy on the internet is triggering me to have bad panic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C How long does PTSD last? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
O PTSD and feeling “fake” or “dead”? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
M Feeling guilty for being diagnosed with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
lizard56 Do I have PTSD? Please help! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
9 PTSD Suffocating ***TRIGGER - Discusses abuse *** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10
K Mind-Body Workbook for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
micas Do I have PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B PTSD because of traumatic psychiatric hospital experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 13
H Past relationship and ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
A Alcohol anaesthetised PTSD... Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S Is this PTSD or just trauma? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S PTSD from emotionally abusive relationship...do I leave now things are getting better? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 26
B What is considered a traumatic event to be considered PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
P Told dont need ptsd, agoraphobia diagnosis because autism diagnosis. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 9
L Negative criticism PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B Depakine, olanzapine for ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
H PTSD involving Emergency contraception **Trigger warning - sexual assault Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
Jess96 Complex PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
M Is it worth it to file lawsuit for past bullying leading to PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
S PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 15
L Is PTSD related to a bad childhood and in result the reason for adult tantrums? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
M I have diagnosis ptsd. but my symptoms are auditory visual tactile an olfactory hallucinations, paranoia, mania, delusions and suicidal ideation. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
S PTSD from infidelity/lying Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
wraziel I hate my carreer PTSD???? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
Boudicca PTSD from a Bus accident I was in 10 years ago. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
B Have I really got PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
W Living alongside PTSD and EUPD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 0
J Ptsd after natural disaster Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
A PTSD - EMDR Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 7
L Help-is this PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
M does anyone with ptsd experience this? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 20
F Just found a picture of the man who gave me ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 7
M Loving-kindness meditation can decrease PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
sad_heart20 how ptsd affects me every night Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
TheDarkPassenger Maybe ptsd? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 22