• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

TV advert

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
A story from the Mental Health Foundation.....

>>England's first mental health awareness television campaign has been launched today on ITV Anglia.

The advertisement, which aims to empower individuals to protect and improve their own mental health, will run five times a day until October 11, to coincide with World Mental Health Day on October 10.

The campaign, launched by the Mental Health Foundation and The Care Services Improvement Partnership (CSIP), is directed at the general public, linking positive lifestyle choices such as healthy eating, exercise and maintaining friendships with better mental wellbeing.

Dr Andrew McCulloch, chief executive of the Mental Health Foundation, said: "This campaign is a fantastic way to get a positive message out about our mental health, and how people can look after and improve their mental well-being.

"Too often, people are led to believe that mental health is an issue about other people - and don't realise that we all have mental health and we all need to look after it.

"We're delighted to be involved in this groundbreaking project with CSIP Eastern and ITV Anglia, which is the kind of public mental health promotion work we want to see happening more often in the future."

Susannah Howard, programme director at CSIP Eastern, said: "We are running this campaign as part of a wider initiative to promote and reinforce awareness of mental health in the East of England.

"Far too often, people are unaware that there are very simple things that can make a real difference to the way that they feel and their overall mental well-being.

"The Mental Health Foundation has produced some excellent materials on this theme and we are delighted that they have supported our regional campaign."

Viewers of the television commercial will be directed to www.well-beingeast.co.uk, which features five short film clips dealing with mental well-being themes.

The advertisement will be broadcast throughout the day and in the evening including in between shows such as Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

The Mental Health Foundation is a charity that uses research and practical projects to help people survive, recover from and prevent mental health problems. For more information visit www.mentalhealth.org.uk.

CSIP Eastern works across all sectors to promote well-being and quality of life for people living in the East of England. For more information visit www.eastern.csip.org.uk.<<

I'm not in the Anglia region....did anyone see any/all of these ads? (the campaign's finished now but I only got this story today :rolleyes:).

Nick.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I'm surprised that this is a first for England - here in Scotland the "See Me" campaign has been running for several years, and has recently been relaunched. I am seeing it through different eyes this time. The latest round of adverts are focussing on the positive effects friends and family can have on people with MH problems.

http://www.seemescotland.org.uk/

I have seen the TV adverts quite often and there are posters on bus shelters etc - so pretty high profile.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
From what I've read and heard healthcare and wellbeing seem to be treated with a much higher regard in Scotland.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yup I think Scotland is some ahead in this respect.

Nick.

A

Apotheosis

Re - Well Being East Commercial -
I saw one of the adverts - "A fat unhealthy looking person" slouched on a sofa; & being given a plate of hamburger & chips. Then there are some thought bubbles of him playing Frisbee, eating a good meal, & on the phone.

Of course certain things assist recovery & aid better mental health. But if this campaign is promoting anti stigma, then I think it fails miserable. I found the advert patronising, discriminatory & playing down severe mental illness. To me it just said that - mentally ill people are fat lazy bums, who can't be bothered to eat properly; & if they got up & exercised, ate well & made friends; then everything would be OK! It riled me so much that I complained to the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority). They wrote me a letter back saying they disagreed with me. That's because we live in a society where discrimination & stigma & mis understanding is so rife & endemic within the population; that these attitudes are seen as normal. God help us.

Have a look at the Ad here - & tell me this isn't the most patronising rubbish you have ever seen.

http://www.well-beingeast.co.uk/tvfilms.php5

The Scottish Anti-Stigma commercials however are rather good.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

I think something more educational would of been better, thats shit

A

Apotheosis

They should have taken some inspiration from Peter Kay

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dls_Iw6DZcQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dls_Iw6DZcQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
According to the See Me website, they have been working with "down South" and there will be England-wide adverts from January. Maybe that will be an improvement!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Absolutely right Apotheosis - the advert is a disgrace and everything you say - patronising shite. What is really disquieting is that the Mental Health Foundation were involved in this fiasco.

Sorry you got nowhere with ASA but it was good that you complained.

Nick.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

oOoOo what a pile of dog shit :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
It is true though people have such strong stereotypes of mental illness and it's sickening! My manager actually said to me I don't look like the type to have bipolar... so we're all supposed to look the same as well? :mad: FFS!

You did right to complain most definitely it's just a shame you can't take it further if they're not willing to help!!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
The message of the advert to me is mentally ill people with a bit of support can get sort themselves out get a job etc, it should have been funded by the benefit office