Trying to process why my dad killed my sister..

Luci

Luci

Hi Hopeful!
I am sorry to hear this, I cant begin to imagine how you are feeling. Explore this with your therapist, they know you and will be able to help you process this new information.
You appear to me a very loving father and place your children as priority. Use that to keep your strength and motivation up day to day. Your children will not experience the same things you have had to. You are more than able to protect them and raise them well and will do :) our strength as parents should never be underestimated!
I can relate with what you are saying with regard to 'bad' things happening to 'bad people. I believe that if youintentioanlly do wrong you or protect someone who does, you or your family will face consequences. Bad luck, bad experiences. Good, honest and fair people experience 'better' lives and circumstances. Of course life doesn't always work this way and bad people will have experiences they dont deserve and good people will suffer, but there is a greater balance and we are all rewarded or punished in the end.
With regard to your family, I agree with you. If contact with them causes you anxiety, stress and worry and no positives then they don't have a place in your life, or that of your children. I haven't spoken to my mother for over 15 years. She is toxic, selfish and does not deserve to share my joy. Life is too short so share with people who don't bring us joy and love.
I hope you find some comfort and support in your replies xx

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm really sorry for what you're going through Hopeful.I get how much of a mind fu*k it is to find out something so horrible and how hard it is to wrap your mind around it.

I know it will be hard to talk to your therapist about but really it's the best thing for you to do right now,even if you have to write it out on a piece of paper and hand it to her to read.

I was so glad I had my therapist to talk to about something similar(which btw,I think you're brave for sharing what happened here).I was able to express every thought and emotion I had about it with him and he was very supportive and helpful.My sister was going to go to the police with it,while I was trying to talk her out of it because I knew it would just bring the media into our lives and makes things worse and he helped me through that stress and worry(I was glad she didn't go to the police afterall).It was an old,unsolved case and then it popped up in the news again and there was evidence that was going to be tested and my therapist was right there for/with me through that too.I knew he genuinely cared and was concerned and that was exactly what I needed at the time.Like you,I knew I couldn't tell anyone and that made it harder to deal with not having anyone to talk to about it and I was grateful for my therapist.

Unfortuantely though I did end up having to tell my husband and my kids before the DNA results were released in the media,and it made me sick to have to tell them.Especially my kids,having to tell them something so horrible about their grandfather.It kind of opened the floodgates and I had to talk about some pretty difficult things with them.

It was such a rough time.I became obsessed with wanting to know the details,I went through all different thoughts and emotions.It took awhile but I was eventually able to make peace with it and stopped with all the questions and trying to understand why.

I know it's all so fresh and raw right now but it will get easier eventually for you too.

Hugs

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

don't feel guilty for what he did, you didn't know for the longest time, my dad did terrible things too and I loved him a lot at one point

I don't know your culture, but I'd say most family seems to have dark secrets, but it doesn't make us all evil because of one bad apple
Thank @BPDevil

I always thought that my family was the best. It’s a big disappointment really more than anything else. My dad meant high moral standards for me. I never wanted his image to exceed my expectations but not this time.

I don’t think my family has any darker secrets than this one. I hope I can move on soon.
I don’t like violence and I will never inflict pain on any person, family or not.

Thanks for your reply and you support.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi Hopeful!
I am sorry to hear this, I cant begin to imagine how you are feeling. Explore this with your therapist, they know you and will be able to help you process this new information.
You appear to me a very loving father and place your children as priority. Use that to keep your strength and motivation up day to day. Your children will not experience the same things you have had to. You are more than able to protect them and raise them well and will do :) our strength as parents should never be underestimated!
I can relate with what you are saying with regard to 'bad' things happening to 'bad people. I believe that if youintentioanlly do wrong you or protect someone who does, you or your family will face consequences. Bad luck, bad experiences. Good, honest and fair people experience 'better' lives and circumstances. Of course life doesn't always work this way and bad people will have experiences they dont deserve and good people will suffer, but there is a greater balance and we are all rewarded or punished in the end.
With regard to your family, I agree with you. If contact with them causes you anxiety, stress and worry and no positives then they don't have a place in your life, or that of your children. I haven't spoken to my mother for over 15 years. She is toxic, selfish and does not deserve to share my joy. Life is too short so share with people who don't bring us joy and love.
I hope you find some comfort and support in your replies xx
Hi @Luci

I can’t thank you enough for your comforting words and thoughts.

If it wasn’t for my kids, I don’t think that I will live around or close to anyone. I know people are not the same but I’ve feel I’ve been betrayed by my dad for some reason.

I think my mom never said anything because she was afraid of my dad. She told me once that when she lost a baby, my dad was threatening her not to raise her voice. He was telling her if he hears her cry, he will throw the body in the sewer. I don’t understand she cries when she remembers my dad and she prays for him.

I believe that because he killed my sister, the whole family suffered some kind of a curse or karma. She was 17. I don’t what she did but no matter what she did, she didn’t deserve to lose here life for it.

As for me and my kids, I don’t even use threats against them or say things that will hurt their feelings. I’ve experienced so much to know that saying disrespectful things to children can effect their self esteem and confidence.

Thanks once again. You guys have been so kind and so supportive.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

I'm really sorry for what you're going through Hopeful.I get how much of a mind fu*k it is to find out something so horrible and how hard it is to wrap your mind around it.

I know it will be hard to talk to your therapist about but really it's the best thing for you to do right now,even if you have to write it out on a piece of paper and hand it to her to read.

I was so glad I had my therapist to talk to about something similar(which btw,I think you're brave for sharing what happened here).I was able to express every thought and emotion I had about it with him and he was very supportive and helpful.My sister was going to go to the police with it,while I was trying to talk her out of it because I knew it would just bring the media into our lives and makes things worse and he helped me through that stress and worry(I was glad she didn't go to the police afterall).It was an old,unsolved case and then it popped up in the news again and there was evidence that was going to be tested and my therapist was right there for/with me through that too.I knew he genuinely cared and was concerned and that was exactly what I needed at the time.Like you,I knew I couldn't tell anyone and that made it harder to deal with not having anyone to talk to about it and I was grateful for my therapist.

Unfortuantely though I did end up having to tell my husband and my kids before the DNA results were released in the media,and it made me sick to have to tell them.Especially my kids,having to tell them something so horrible about their grandfather.It kind of opened the floodgates and I had to talk about some pretty difficult things with them.

It was such a rough time.I became obsessed with wanting to know the details,I went through all different thoughts and emotions.It took awhile but I was eventually able to make peace with it and stopped with all the questions and trying to understand why.

I know it's all so fresh and raw right now but it will get easier eventually for you too.

Hugs
Thank you @SunnyDaze

I am sorry that you had to go through a similar situation/experience. It’s very difficult to deal with. I had to get some details from my sister this morning because I couldn’t put my mind to rest. She gave hints, not the whole thing but I got a clear picture of how he did it.

I feel this unbearable heaviness in my chest every time I think about it. I need to stop thinking about before it destroys me completely. I wish it’s Monday already. I think I will be able to talk to my therapist about it but it sure will be difficult.

I am sorry that your kids had to go through that experience. My kids will not know anything about it. They have a peaceful life now and I want them to enjoy it.

I am going to try my best to occupy myself with something till Monday.

Much appreciation for your time and effort to help me.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

just dropping by to give more love x I am glad you are getting good support xxxxxx
You’ve been so generous with your kindness and support Lu.
It’s overwhelming and touching to receive this much support from you all and you guys don’t even know me.

I wish you all the best in life.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

I want to thank you all for your help and support. Today is when I got out of the house and forgot about it this. I was so obsessed with what happened.
The feeling of agitation, anger, desperation was awful. I think my OCD was high since I heard that.

I occupied myself with the kids going on a bike ride and finishing some studio setup work.

Thanks again and peace and blessings to you all.

claude

claude

Best of luck today hopeful. I will be thinking of you. I hope you can speak to your therapist today and that the agitation eases. I pray that in time you can make a kind of peace with this awful tragedy and enjoy your life with your kids in honour of your sister. You are clearly a wonderful kind and thoughtful father, they are lucky to have you and I wish you all the best.
Let us know on here if we can support you on the way :hug:

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Thank you so much @claude
I really appreciate your kindness and prayers. Hearing the positive feedback does help me greatly.

Later on today, I will get to speak with my therapist. I afeel positive and not worried today.

I live for my kids 🙂. They are the most important thing in my life. I am very careful and attentive to their upbringing.

Thanks again and I wish you a happy healthy life.

Peace and blessings to you.