• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Trying to get over past mistake

C

Calilforever

Once in the beginning of my high school years I tried to befriend this one person in one of my classes. The person didn't sit next to anyone so I took the seat next to them. I tried to be as friendly as I can but it's really difficult to talk to people when they don't seem to respond much back.

I feel like I did something wrong when I started to get too playful and snatched one of their belongings not in a mean way but jokingly. They got mad at me and said "Can you not." and took it back. After that I sat somewhere else in the class and didn't talk to the person again. I'm not sure why I did that when I wasn't too familiar with that person to begin with.

The only other time they spoke to me was the compliment some work I was doing. I still bad for what I did and I'm not sure how to move on.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It is hard to forget things we did wrong. I have some memories that i cannot get over.

I think we have to learn to live with them. We all make mistakes, some of us make more and bigger ones. Maybe accepting that we are human and not perfect, will help.

E

EclipticNight

I have had quite a few of these myself. In one instance i said something in the heat of the moment in high school and never spoke to the person again. A few years ago i reunited with them and i had to apologize for what i said. Turns out they did not remember at all. I could not believe it.

I'm not sure how long its been for you but chances are they already forgot about the whole thing. For me its much easier to accept knowing that to the other person it was not nearly as important as i felt it was. Like the above said, we are human and make mistakes. A good deep breath usually helps too.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Once in the beginning of my high school years I tried to befriend this one person in one of my classes. The person didn't sit next to anyone so I took the seat next to them. I tried to be as friendly as I can but it's really difficult to talk to people when they don't seem to respond much back.

I feel like I did something wrong when I started to get too playful and snatched one of their belongings not in a mean way but jokingly. They got mad at me and said "Can you not." and took it back. After that I sat somewhere else in the class and didn't talk to the person again. I'm not sure why I did that when I wasn't too familiar with that person to begin with.

The only other time they spoke to me was the compliment some work I was doing. I still bad for what I did and I'm not sure how to move on.
What a sweet, caring person you are. You were joking around and did not mean any harm. You have not done anything wrong at all. You tried to joke and they did not respond so you moved on. there is nothing bad about that. Please forgive yourself. I bet they do not even remember the incident.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Everyone makes mistakes and does things that they are not proud of. This err in behavior seems very minor compared to a lot of the really horrible, highly intentional things some
people do and don’t feel bad about at all whatsoever. I think in this case you should take it as an opportunity to decide what is and what is not acceptable or desirable behavior to you. Then forget about it and just move on. I’m sure the other person has forgotten it long ago so already you are absolved. xo, j

K

Keesha

I’ve made plenty of mistakes also. Most I’ve been consciously aware of , some I will never know.
I think ‘intention’ plays a big part here. It’s one thing to accidentally make a mistake. There is no intention there. It’s another thing to intentionally (purposefully) hurt someone and there’s a big difference between the two.

T

techguy2020

I know what that feels like, I always look back at past social situations and overthink them. But I'm getting better. Hope you are okay 😁. P.S, Good luck with everything.