• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

trying to get help

S

silversmile

Hey, im new to this site
My name is Ian and im suffering from an eating disorder. Im a prolific bulimic, i tend to binge and purge about 6/7 times a day and yet i can't find any help for my condition. I don't want to suffer this mental disorder any long as five years suffering is too long. There are sooo many dangers to it, and lots of damages that can come from having one, yet no-one seems willing to help

i know most anorexics and bulimics tend to want to lose weight but i personally want to gain weight.
Just writing on this forum to see if i can find anyone else whom, like me, has or is suffering from an eating disorder and wants help to get better

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Silversmile and welcome to the forum. :welcome:
Sorry it's taken so long for someone to reply.
I can only give my own personal experience with bulimia. I had it for 20 years and I was physically very ill from it. I was developing heart problems among other things.
I had a smart doctor who was up-to-date on different psychiatric medications.
He had seen in trials that Fluoxetine helped some people with compulsion problems.
I was put on this med at a starting dosage of 20mg a day, and over several weeks the dosage was raised to a maximum of 80mg a day.
I was on it for about 2 years, and then gradually the dosage was again lowered weekly until I was weaned off of it.
That was 10 years ago and I've not had one single episode of bulimia since. The 'need' is gone. My weight is normal and the ill-effects of bulimia are no longer present.
I hope this helps you. :)

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi and :welcome: Siversmile to MHF :) You will find lots of help and support here :hug:

connect

connect

Admin
Hi Silversmile and :welcome:,

beat (a charity for beating eating disorders - www.b-eat.co.uk ) maintains lists resources for helping with eating disorders (http://www.b-eat.co.uk/HelpandSupport ). Their HelpFinder directory (http://www.b-eat.co.uk/HelpandSupport/HelpFinder ) is a searchable database of professional help services in the UK and abroad.
They also have a helpline:

08456 341414
[email protected]
Monday to Friday 10:30am - 8:30pm
Saturdays 1:00pm - 4:30pm
Sunday ~ Closed
Bank Holidays 11:30am - 2:30pm​

Maybe they can provide some assistance with finding help :grouphug:

M

matsri

do not tell ureself ure going to starv coz then ull want it more than u would if u just let ureself eat

D

Dollit

I don't understand, what has an teen anti-drug site has to do with bulimia?