Trying to get Federal Disability Tax Credit: Suggestions, experiences?

S

Silly_Putty

I have major PTSD symptoms which include anxiety and depression. My psychologist completed his portion of the form, I did mine. However, CRA rejected my initial application T2201 siting their "policy" that I must be:

markedly restricted if, they are unable or takes an inordinate amount of time to do one or more of the basic activities of daily living, even with therapy (other than life-sustaining therapy) and the use of appropriate devices and medication. This restriction must be present all or substantially all the time (at least 90% of the time).

About 10 or so years ago, I had other mental health issues but not nearly as severe as it is now. I had the same psychologist and applied for the tax credit. It was granted.

Since I am cognitively impaired, I have no idea how to proceed. If someone asks me questions, I can answer them but articulating them is another matter.

Ideally, it would be great if I had a template that I could use to satisfy CRA's requirements. Additionally, I am in the process of applying for CPP Disability benefits too.

I find it very sickening to me how the government is making it more difficult, not easier for those who suffer from mental health issues to obtain benefits. Is it any wonder there are so many more homeless people and suicides?

I'm now further frustrated and stressed with this latest hurdle in my life. Perhaps I need to consult with a lawyer who specializes in disability rights and benefits? I am in BC if that matters.

Thank you to all in advance who are able to offer suggestions, insights, and experiences.

Last edited:
Cazcat

Cazcat

I'm not familiar with the systems in Canada, but I know now in the UK it seems most people get turned down at their first application and have to appeal. Are there any mental health charities that could help you with your wording?

S

Silly_Putty

There might be. Even though I once was really good at using Google, trying this time gave me websites that would charge many thousands of dollars to help you.

Recently, in the news this issue was brought to light, especially how people who used to receive the disability tax credit for over 10 years are now required to re-apply. The new application is being rejected despite having it being granted in the past.

I think they denial of the application seems to becoming universal. Articulating and the wording used would likely apply most everywhere, but it seems obtaining that information is extremely difficult if not impossible.

orchidrose

orchidrose

I had this happen to me too. I’m in BC. The process of filling out the forms was such a hassle but I felt relieved and hopeful once it was done. When I received the denied application back I felt like my disability was ignored and like it was insignificant. It was so frustrating. I totally understand. I wish I had some advice for you, but I’m in the same boat.

P

PositivelyCrazy

I was told not to expect my Disability Tax Credit to be renewed

This will be the last year I'm covered by my T2201, and my p/doc warned me there's almost no chance it will be renewed - and he is awesome when it comes to working the system in my favour. My impression is that if you're not hospitalized or catatonic, and you're able to leave your house and walk around... you shouldn't get your hopes up. Not fair, but...

Anyway... it wasn't as valuable as I thought it would be. For 2017, the "tax credit" was $8,113, but it's not refundable, and only a fraction of it is actually deducted from the taxes you owe. i'm self-(under)employed, and rarely make enough to need the deduction anyway, so I usually transferred it to my mother.

The only way to get an actual refund is by claiming it as part of the Working Income Tax Benefit (Schedule 6). I got back about $1,000/yr from that... nowhere near what I'd originally expected!