• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Trying to get away from Facebook

E

EuropeanScot

I'm trying to get through everything going on right now despite my issues with depression, anxiety and emotionally unstable personality traits. I am in a Facebook group with other women who have had a child around the same time as me and it has been a big support to have some contact while being physically so isolated.
I now find myself getting so angry at people's attitudes that I need to get away from it for the sake of my mental health but I'm so scared of losing this main contact point to actual living beings outside my home.
Social contacts have been a major part of keeping my depression and anxieties at bay most of the time over the last 13 years and the lockdown has hit me hard.
Now I know someone thinks me too aggressive for arguing tonight, I'm still angry that too many people share her attitude and I don't know what I should do without the group. But there have been several points over the years when it was clear that Facebook is not a place conducive to me wellbeing.
I deactivated my account for now and I really want to stay away from it at least for a while but it's really difficult.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I deactivated my Facebook accounts last year and haven’t looked back. I don’t miss them at all really, especially when there are alternatives like this forum. I hope you will find what you are looking for here. :hug:

E

EuropeanScot

Thank you, it's probably just me and it would follow me wherever I am I'm afraid. It's the emotionally unstable personality traits that people just don't understand/like/want to deal with. It's really only an issue online, in person I don't argue much with people (apart from my husband and 4 year old son of course...)
But I hope this place is much better for the moments like now when I just don't know where to turn.

Topcat

Topcat

I'm not finding Facebook very helpful right now, it makes me feel useless.
I put nearly everyone on ignore for a short while last year instead of deactivating like usual, just to have less stuff to add to my feeling bad. The short while never ended they're all still on ignore, I haven't missed the posts. I see a handful of people's posts and the groups I belong to, but even they don't help when depressed.
Come on here and chat, I use this forum as a social site really. The posts in chill out can be a good distraction and a way to get to know people here :)

P

Purpleplum

It's just difficult because it was a habit. You even said it was making you angry so you weren't doing it for enjoyment.
You can start a new habit like on here and you can also get on other forums. If any one of them bothers you, just leave it and find another.

I don't miss Facebook. I check it periodically if I'm seriously bored. I never post anything. When I check it I'm always reminded of why I stopped in the first place.

Antimatter

Antimatter

I find facebook very negative, I use it for a couple of updates and turn it off. It can suck up hours if you allow yourself.

E

EuropeanScot

I'm not finding Facebook very helpful right now, it makes me feel useless.
I put nearly everyone on ignore for a short while last year instead of deactivating like usual, just to have less stuff to add to my feeling bad. The short while never ended they're all still on ignore, I haven't missed the posts. I see a handful of people's posts and the groups I belong to, but even they don't help when depressed.
Come on here and chat, I use this forum as a social site really. The posts in chill out can be a good distraction and a way to get to know people here :)
Great to hear it worked for you cutting down to a few people. My anxiety kicks in when I think that people will realise I blocked them. My husband is never bothered by the thought of someone he doesn't particularly like not liking him. I envy that so much because to me it feels like the end of the world (for a while).
I should really cut my losses and run. But I'm not sure I will. But I'll give it a go 🙂

JessisMe

JessisMe

Great to hear it worked for you cutting down to a few people. My anxiety kicks in when I think that people will realise I blocked them. My husband is never bothered by the thought of someone he doesn't particularly like not liking him. I envy that so much because to me it feels like the end of the world (for a while).
I should really cut my losses and run. But I'm not sure I will. But I'll give it a go 🙂
I thought opting out of Facebook would devastate me because I had been on it for years and it ended up swallowing my life. I was surprised when it really didn’t bother me not to have those people and their lives all at my fingertips for my entertainment. Instead I just felt calm and free...???

I

I_Was_Punished

i've never been able to get into Facebook and Twitter, i just don't get this social media business much at all

JessisMe

JessisMe

i've never been able to get into Facebook and Twitter, i just don't get this social media business much at all
I have had a twitter account for years now but I have only tweeted maybe a dozen times. I find Twitter so annoying!

E

EuropeanScot

It's just difficult because it was a habit. You even said it was making you angry so you weren't doing it for enjoyment.
You can start a new habit like on here and you can also get on other forums. If any one of them bothers you, just leave it and find another.

I don't miss Facebook. I check it periodically if I'm seriously bored. I never post anything. When I check it I'm always reminded of why I stopped in the first place.
It doesn't always make me angry but right now there is so much flying about while it's already such a strained situation to start with.
I hardly ever post on my profile, usually in the group with other mums. I easily get angry when it touches politics, I don't have enough patience when I think people are wrong and it's important for everyone's lives. It will never convince anyone though and I just end up feeling abandoned and hurt because I couldn't bring my point across.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It doesn't always make me angry but right now there is so much flying about while it's already such a strained situation to start with.
I hardly ever post on my profile, usually in the group with other mums. I easily get angry when it touches politics, I don't have enough patience when I think people are wrong and it's important for everyone's lives. It will never convince anyone though and I just end up feeling abandoned and hurt because I couldn't bring my point across.
People get CRAZY with politics on Facebook. I don’t miss that part of things AT ALL.

Heliosphan (formerly Greg90)

Heliosphan (formerly Greg90)

Facebook is a really negative, oppressive place, you've made a good decision! :) I cut the cord with it and deleted my account nearly ten years ago and it had such a positive effect on my anxiety, mental health and just general well-being.

Afew years ago I made a new account just to make calls abroad over the messenger app to save minutes and data. After being away from a social network for a while, the whole concept of it is weird to me and the amount of personal information people share and the amount of drama and aggro being posted is just sad. And it's a HUGE echo chamber of just nonsense and scaremongering. It's really rare I log in, maybe once every few months to keep in touch with friends overseas, and that's more than enough.

Hope you feel the benefits of being away from it all! :)

E

EuropeanScot

Thank you everyone, you all made me feel a lot less lonely and I'm so much calmer now. I really need to sleep to not be grumpy all day tomorrow 😴