trying to find a new hobby, any of you have hobbies?

telekinesis

telekinesis

ive been into knifemaking for about a year and a half although i recently lost enthusiasm to make knives anymore. im wanting to get into something more artful. like flint knapping or maybe sculpture with clay.

i was thinking though that if i did get into it then i may stop doing it for a while because of my schizophrenia so that i wont be able to do it consistently enough to make some money with it. my knives dont look professional so noone wants to buy them and ive been told a few times that ineed to research more on how to make them to perfect my craft in order to make a good looking knife. ive been making knives for 1.5 years and im tired of not being able to produce pro looking knives so im pretty much already done with knifemaking.

so now im wondering if there is any other craft or hobby i can do that i would be in the professional league with and be able to sell online my artwork.

has anyone had success with their hobbies?

burt tomato

burt tomato

I was into antique british coins. I would collect old silver threepences, clean them up, polish and package them and selll them for a profit. I did sell some, but it has slowed down. I just keep a stock up on ebay, and have not bought any more since early last year.

It was my hobby for 2013/14 - I created a database on excel with some vba functionality. I had a high resolution microscope for the photos. I had two label printers to print out labels to identify them. I have had only good feedback on my sales. You get a shiny piece of nice silver in a small package for a few pounds.

I have a box of them now, but they are not shifting. I have kinda lost interest in it now.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I've known quite a few people who have started craft hobbies (jewellery, making furniture from pallets, patchwork quilting, wrought iron work, wood turning...) and none of them have been able to turn their hobby into a money-spinner but of course, some people do.

You mention flint napping and I live in Norfolk where I know there are a few 'apprenticeships' in this available but the demand for the skill is still pretty limited so I don't know whether those that take the apprenticeship go on to make a living out of it.

Whatever craft you choose to take up, you need to get training (and this will cost money which you may not be able to afford) and you need to develop a personal style which is marketable (ie. people like it and are willing to buy it) which may involve research - even if it is simply showing your products to friends - and then you need to advertise your wares on the web and generate orders - and that won't come free either. I'm not trying to put you off, just thinking through the process.

Clay sculptures, I think, would be particularly difficult to take up and make a financial success of. There are just too many 'experts' in this field already that you'd find hard to compete with, unless you developed a unique product that could be made easily and you could therefore sell quite a few of them.

I know of one man in Scotland who built his hobby, which was carving large statues from huge logs using a chain-saw (eg. he did owls, eagles) into a business but then again, I don't know how much money he made from it and I think he worked full-time for the Forestry Commission in addition to doing his 'hobby'.