Trying to come off medication

jojo94

jojo94

I'm trying to come off of my meds. I've been withdrawing for the last week and a half. I'm not really coping. No one knows about this. I'm considering telling one of my support workers but I'm scared of how they'll react. My GP and consultant have made it clear that they would be against it. I'm trying to prove that I can cope without meds. I also wanted to feel normal and felt that when I was on meds that taking them was a weakness. I know this sounds stupid. I don't know what to do anymore.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Please see your GP, your not coping and that might get worse.
It really isn't a weakness to need medication, your poorly and can't help it.
Here to listen.
Take care

jojo94

jojo94

Thank you, I appreciate that. I went to my GP a few weeks ago and said I was gonna come off meds and she lectured me then told my consultant and within 2 hours the consultant rang me and he lectured me so they've made it clear they're against it. I made out I would stay on them after all but obviously I didn't do that. Last time I came off meds I went cold turkey and it went so badly wrong. I just hope this time will be easier. I'm not seeing the consultant til the 16th July and I'm trying to think of a good excuse out of it.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Please see your consultant, it isn't a good idea to come off cold turkey. It's better to slowly stop.
Have you tried any counselling or CBT?
Take care

jojo94

jojo94

I am trying to come off slowly this time. But I'm still not feeling great. And I'm barely sleeping. My support worker is hopefully gonna come with me to the consultant appt but he doesn't know yet that I'm coming off meds. Yeah I've tried that but it doesn't seem to help really.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Sorry I don't mean to be a party pooper but I think you should keep taking your medications. You may get a lot worse if you stop taking them. Taking mental medications doesn't make you weak. No more that taking insulin makes a diabetic weak. We need our medication. I can't cope or function with out mine. I hope you decide to stay on them. :hug:

jojo94

jojo94

I think I'm gonna speak to my support workers about it and see what they say

Drooo

Drooo

What is your diagnosis and what meds are you trying to come off?

jojo94

jojo94

My diagnosis keeps changing but it's classed as a mood disorder. Mainly mood stabilisers and anxiety meds.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I heard that psychiatric diagnosis' can change all the time. I don't know why they do that? :shrug:

jojo94

jojo94

I spoke to my support worker about the fact I'm off meds. He wasn't in agreement with it...

Drooo

Drooo

I heard that psychiatric diagnosis' can change all the time. I don't know why they do that? :shrug:
They can change due to initial diagnoses being inaccurate or conservative, conditions developing and so on. For example: Cyclothymia, Bipolar II and Major Depression/Recurrent Depression can all be reclassified as Bipolar I with the appearance of one manic episode, and other conditions such as BPD and Bipolar II are often difficult to distinguish, so people often get the wrong diagnosis there as well.

I asked about your diagnosis earlier in the thread jojo as this can obviously be a big issue for certain conditions. If it's a depression-based mood disorder then the risks are obvious but maybe not so urgent, but if it's a Bipolar-type mood disorder then you're looking at potentially dangerous behaviour as a result.

I think anytime you think of coming off meds (and I've done so myself) you have to weigh up the very real pros and cons of it and ask yourself serious questions: Are the meds causing problems that are worse than your mental illness at its worst? Are you going to be better off or worse off? And so on.

Keep us updated and stay safe.

Drooo

Drooo

Oh, and I'd also add that deciding to come off your medication can also be a sign of illness in itself by way of reckless behaviour, acting impulsively, delusional thinking about your own wellness etc. So something else to consider when quitting is questioning yourself about why you want to quit: am I quitting because this is something that I have sensibly thought about or am I quitting because my illness has decided that I should quit.

jojo94

jojo94

Thanks for your reply. I guess that's sensible. I'm just not even sure that I have an illness anymore.

Drooo

Drooo

Thanks for your reply. I guess that's sensible. I'm just not even sure that I have an illness anymore.
Well in that case I guess now would be a good time to run a check on yourself by asking yourself about how you've been lately, how you've felt, what you've done and so on. That may or may not shed some light on what your true state is. I know from personal experience that I sometimes aren't the best judge of how I have been feeling or appearing, both in terms of the good and bad. Writing a mood diary is worth its weight in Gold for this by the way; it's VERY revealing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Treatments 1