• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Trying this again cause I feel helpless

S

sunshine0908

Hey everyone! Second time giving this a try. Last time I made an account I deleted after a day because I had anxiety about the whole thought of having an account. I thought I was being sneaky and hiding something from my boyfriend by talking on the internet instead of to him. Ugh.

Anyway. After a bad day of overthinking, intrusive thoughts, and anxiety, I usually dream about these very things and than wake up having anxiety about the dream. It’s like a miserable cycle.

I woke up this morning after having a particular awful sequence of dreams. Almost like everything I’ve ever had anxiety over was included. It’s been a few hours and I still don’t feel right.

I’m 20 and I’ve always had anxiety but within the last year it became a whole different level. Several days I feel like I can’t even function. I just started lexapro maybe 3 weeks ago and I’m hoping it starts working soon. I’ve never taken medication before so if anyway can answer, does it really help and to what extent? I feel like I lost the last year of my life.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Welcome back! Glad to see you on the forums again. I have used Lexapro for depression and it worked wonders. I’m not familiar with it’s effects on anxiety but hope it will be helpful for you too.

M

Mama88

I don’t have experience with that med but I do also suffer with the dream thing. It’s miserable and when I start new meds they get worse and after a couple months it gets better. I hope the lexapro works for you.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It does feel exposing to write on here and also to have a secret, but secrets can be a good thing. You need to communicate with others who know how you feel too.

I have take Lexapro and it was a good one. I took it for depression and anxiety along with other medication, but it helped relax me and sleep better. I did sweat at night and have lots of dreams which i think is common when starting a new medication. Side effects usually fade away after a month.

All of those medications are going to help with anxiety a bit and make you a bit more relaxed, as far as i understand it. Give it months before you think of stopping because you need to give it time to really work better. After a certain amount of time you might be able to come off it slowly again. Make sure you phone your gp if you have any worries about it.

T

Trentness

Hey everyone! Second time giving this a try. Last time I made an account I deleted after a day because I had anxiety about the whole thought of having an account. I thought I was being sneaky and hiding something from my boyfriend by talking on the internet instead of to him. Ugh.

Anyway. After a bad day of overthinking, intrusive thoughts, and anxiety, I usually dream about these very things and than wake up having anxiety about the dream. It’s like a miserable cycle.

I woke up this morning after having a particular awful sequence of dreams. Almost like everything I’ve ever had anxiety over was included. It’s been a few hours and I still don’t feel right.

I’m 20 and I’ve always had anxiety but within the last year it became a whole different level. Several days I feel like I can’t even function. I just started lexapro maybe 3 weeks ago and I’m hoping it starts working soon. I’ve never taken medication before so if anyway can answer, does it really help and to what extent? I feel like I lost the last year of my life.
For the medicine, my new doctor told me about a DNA swab test I could do that would give me a list of best SSRI meds for my body. She said it was $250 without insurance but my insurance covered the total cost. I had tried 3 other meds before and I was never sure if they were working or what it would feel like if they did. In two weeks I got the test results back and every med I had been on before was on the "least likely to work list" she put me on desvenlafaxine and in two week I notice a big drop in overall depression. Didn't do much for anxiety but after I calm a little I don't notice such a weight on my chest. Alcohol does zap the meds out of my system pretty fast though so don't drink much. I highly recommend the test—it beats trying out random ones for months and months. Hope this helps :)

H

Hotmess89

Hey there I am going through the same thing. I'm taking duloxetine and xanax. I only take the xanax when NEEDED. You have to be careful with the xanax but it works wonders when you really need it. My anxiety gets so bad that in large groups of people I don't even feel like myself and just have a flight experience. That is no way to live but once on the right medication life is so much easier. Hope this helps.

C

CalmMe

For the medicine, my new doctor told me about a DNA swab test I could do that would give me a list of best SSRI meds for my body. She said it was $250 without insurance but my insurance covered the total cost. I had tried 3 other meds before and I was never sure if they were working or what it would feel like if they did. In two weeks I got the test results back and every med I had been on before was on the "least likely to work list" she put me on desvenlafaxine and in two week I notice a big drop in overall depression. Didn't do much for anxiety but after I calm a little I don't notice such a weight on my chest. Alcohol does zap the meds out of my system pretty fast though so don't drink much. I highly recommend the test—it beats trying out random ones for months and months. Hope this helps :)
I didn't know this existed. *ponders why all of her doctors have never mentioned this* I had my DNA done on 23 and Me, can they get any data from that or do they have to do a special test? I think this is a smashing idea. I'm always afraid of new SSRI's because of the side effects but if I had a great chance of it actually working that would be motivating.