• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Trying again

M

morelikewater

Hi,

My first foray onto this forum went spectacularly badly. I'm hoping to start again and be given a second chance, although a founding member has threatened to thump me!

• I'm 35
  • I've had periods of pretty severe depression, yearly for most of my life - although I've been able to manage fairly well over the last few years - i'm reasonably hypomanic
  • I'm actually hoping to build a better relationship with the forum and its members because i think its brilliant.
  • My current status is that i am the holder of the coveted title of 'most despised forum member'
  • I do work in Mental Health and really, trying to improve the lot for people with mental health problems is my life and my passion.
  • I'm not sure what i can contribute to the forum, but i'm sure i'll be able to learn from it.

Here's hoping the hatred-o-metre goes down a bit.

cheers,

A

Ainsworth

:welcome: well second time lucky eh

although a founding member has threatened to thump me!
dont think that needs to be in the post.

just my opinion, though :)

M

morelikewater

cheers

would love to meet the title holder, or maybe i wouldn't!

my re-introduction was sort of an apology, sort of . anyway its nice not to be involved in a scrap

M

mad as a hatter

what u all about then eh welcome ne way

A

Apotheosis

:welcome:To the forum. I would still like to see the films that you were involved with that had a similar story to mine - if you have links?

morelikewater said:
4 I been involved previously in making films describing the reality that apotheosis speaks of.

J

jamesdean

:welcome: to the best mh forum you will ever be proud to be a part of,I never do welcomes so consider your self honoured, good luck with your involvement here and your job JD:)

M

morelikewater

phew!!! - you lot have made me v happy this am

Thanks James,

it means alot to me. This is a terrific place and am proud to be part of it! Thanks for the second chance.

cheers:grouphug:

M

morelikewater

what am i about? + films

what u all about then eh welcome ne way
Hi Mad as a hatter,

I'm not really sure i can describe what i'm about in a forum post , but i'll do my best. I'm someone that is totally passionate about mental health. I have been for a very long time. The reason for this is that i have had my own personal experiences of depression and psychosis, from my teens onwards and so have many people i know. However, a few things in my life have happened to make me feel that life doesn't have to be bad for people with Mental health conditions and my life is now dedicated to making things better for the '1 in 4'. I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where i've been able to manage my mental health, and part of this is about having a job i love but also an employer that is surely one of the best in the country. I'm lucky.

I haven't had any meds for quite a long time but am in therapy - REBT and excercise regularly to keep fit - (mentally and physically), i find this works for me.

what about you?

Apotheosis, in regard to the other filsm the only one i could find a link to is a film called better must come. I helped out the film maker, Bavesh, on making the film and did some work with one of the people on it. The film is called 'better must come' and is on the loud minority website. are there any films that you could recommend that represent where you are coming from more accuratley?

cheers

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Welcome to the boards. If you think you are hated here you have got us all wrong. I have found people have rejected many of the ways I view the world, perhaps even finding nice labels for me to wear. Pretty much I say exactly what I think and how I feel without dressing it up nicely. You're welcome to do exactly the same. To be honest the more 'naked' your experiences and opinions, the more I think people will empathise...

:welcome:

A

Apotheosis

Apotheosis, in regard to the other filsm the only one i could find a link to is a film called better must come. I helped out the film maker, Bavesh, on making the film and did some work with one of the people on it. The film is called 'better must come' and is on the loud minority website. are there any films that you could recommend that represent where you are coming from more accuratley?

cheers
Thanks, I will try & take a look for it - did you have a direct link?

I have seen a couple of films recently that explore some of the perspectives & experiences that I have had -

Only Smarties have the answer - by Aidan Shingler

http://www.oneinahundred.co.uk/

& Take these Broken wings - by Daniel Mackler

http://www.iraresoul.com/home_page.html

Both films show the deep failings & injustice of the MH system & general public attitudes.

I am primarily concerned & interested with the subject of schizophrenia. & with the extensive research into depth psychology; from people such as Carl Jung, & John Weir Perry, among many others. & with the considerable body of evidence that people can be far better helped with non med & comprehensive means; to fully recover from even the most severe of mental illness. I am strongly opposed to the orthodox bio-medical practise of medicating everyone up, & doing little else. There are indeed I think people that are & can be helped with meds. But in a perfect world, meds would be but one avenue of treatment, & as a part of extensive & comprehensive treatment methods, as part of a system of choice.

Maybe; IF all avenues of help & assistance had been exhausted first; & had I been provided with proper support & psychological assistance - then maybe I would have still had to take meds as being beneficial to my condition; (But I doubt it). Maybe there would have been a good chance that I wouldn't have had to take them, & be made dependant on them, had I been given proper help!? The injustice is that people are rarely given such an opportunity. & even if given every method available for recovery - I had still needed meds? - my life would have been better alongside more comprehensive help & support.

I do not think that in any way these issues are about lack of money for such approaches; indeed I think that in the long run they would be cheaper - they are about public attitudes & the generally accepted paradigm of the psychiatric Bio-Medical system, & the pseudo science upon which it is based.

My understandings, perspective, & attitudes to all this; put me in a small minority at one end of the scale. But such perspectives & understandings should at least be acknowledged - instead of the norm that these ideas are denied & ignored.

This is why I got so heated in the first thread that you posted. To get labelled with 'paranoid schizophrenia' is a life sentence in this society - it is largely 'game over' after you receive that diagnosis. & 'Time for Change', & the people involved with it, have a perfect opportunity to raise awareness of these issues. Sadly I don't see that they are. But I will try to not go on about it all any more. I have to try & take a step back from all of this too, & to get acceptance around it all. I don't think that the World is ready for the Humane & best treatment of the mentally ill - especially with those most severely afflicted.

I haven't seen much in the way of mainstream films that do address any of these issues. 'The Doctor who Hears Voices' by Rufus May was good. In general I read stories into mainstream films that touch on certain issues. There was of course the classic - 'one flew over the cuckoos nest', 'awakenings' was good too. 'The fisher King' is also a favourite, '12 Monkeys' I enjoyed, 'A perfect World', 'Little Big Man', 'Blade Runner', 'Total recall' & others. But in truth - there is nothing that I have seen, nor that I am aware of; that goes into any kind of depth, realism, or complete accuracy into the type of things & life that I (& others like me) have experienced. 'A beautiful mind' was ok; but it was very much tailored for mainstream audiences; & there was a lot of inaccuracy & plain fabrication - especially in relation to the treatment John Nash received - he also opposed orthodox psychiatry - & eventually made a complete med free recovery; but we can't show that in a mainstream film, can we!!?

& we come back to the fact - that those who experience the severer forms of mental illness, are in general ignored, their experiences denied, & their lives unacknowledged.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RgMxaq_coRw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RgMxaq_coRw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

cheers
Better Must Come Video

From mental health services to employment: Black men moving on

This new video shows Black men talking openly about the problems they face in moving on to voluntary work, training, and paid employment after using mental health services, and aims to give hope to those in similar situations, by showing their determination and achievements.

It also shows how employment services can help them on their journey, and shows practitioners that they have a vital role to play if talents are not to be wasted.
http://www.scmh.org.uk/publications/better_must_come.aspx?ID=384

Sorry; not me, & not what I am that interested in hearing about.

J

jamesdean

I was thinking about you this morning apoheosis and I was thinking along the lines of how must it fee l to have the label of paranoid schizophrenia put on you because I have been called it no end of time in the street but not by the cmht.
I was then thinking about when I first became ill physically remebering that I dealt with depresssion very much up until this point by myself (has I understood it)foralmost 20 years but to say tome I had this awful disease that not anyone knew much about,was soul destroying andin the same breath n Iwill never forget those doctors saying to me "dont playon your illness" just like when Iwas @ scholl n kept being told "the world dosent owe me a living" I think were quite cruel things to say to avergae type person it just all threw me into more of a deprsession because now I was physically un well n had to deal with this also, I believe that my physical health has suffered has aresult ofmh and not only that i had every one doingmy head in because I was trying to come out guess which got judged the most harshly for me any way because I haveknown people in the catheholic faith n coming out, to have had an easier time than me having comeoutof a riduculoyusmarriage aswell which is supposed to be ahigh stress factor n yet I dealt with it aswell has all the awful things that my dad was saying n his refusalto even tslk to me in the street. It must of had an effect on my m h, and this is the only place that I've ever been able to talk about all these things ever has been here, n I was getting quite paranod abot this [email protected] earlierin the year.

Therefore I tryto understand how it must feel for you and I was thinking about this could younot getmore support like a carer for instance because I have seen people @ the resource center have carers because your managing by yourself isnt giving the mh service a clears picture because I know how thier minds work n I was once told by the cmht manager "You havent phoned the duty doctor @ any point" which meant I must be ok not tomention the way that you get treated duringpoutine apointments its the last thing you need is for ateam of [email protected] your door in this normal world if nothing else you dont know how they are going to act.

Its all only a thought
Take care JD

Q

quality factor

Hi there and :welcome: to the forum.
This is the BEST place to be for support
with Mental Health problems.
This site has helped me enormously and I have
made some good friends.

QF.

A

Apotheosis

Thanks Frank

I really try not to make an issue of the label; & I don't tell too many people in my RL.

Last year a psychiatrist said to me that I shouldn't let the label of Schizophrenia define me, become my identify, or a part of my identity, or to let the label socially exclude me in any way - I felt very angry & ill after that appointment.

After sections, forced meds, 20 years of being told that I am severely ill with schizophrenia; socially excluded & put in a social box because of it - then a psychiatrist puts it all back on me & says I shouldn't let it define me in any way - what a ******* *****:mad:

As for getting more help from the orthodox - it is very fine line - I don't trust anyone from services - & if I moan too much, or throw too many of my cards on the table - then I face increased meds/control from them. I am continually fighting, & have fought the system; that contrary to helping, is in actual fact a hindrance. The ideal is to get to such a position that I am stable enough, & in a good enough situation to cease all contact with them again. I dream of getting med free eventually, & getting totally away from psychiatry, & everything connected to MH. Maybe I can achieve that eventually; maybe I can't?

Last edited: