• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Trouble with psychiatrist? Not really sure?

L

Lookingahead

Hi guys,

This is really just a long shot. It is something that has been bothering me for a while now.

About a year ago I was referred to a psychiatrist with visual hallucinations. I've been experiencing them on and off for years. (I'm 19 years old now) Before that I'd been with the child psychiatry team and had a really bad experience. I know others who have been under the same team and had similar experiences. I put it down to being a teenager. At that time it's obviously hard to tell if it's mental or just puberty.

My question is really focused on the psychiatrist I saw a year ago. When I met him he appeared very cold and detached. He didn't seem to be taking anything I told him seriously and seemed to be trying to trip me up. He asked me questions such as: why have you not spoken to your priest about this? (I'm catholic and the hallucinations were sort of religiously orientated.) he would ask me a question and then ask me the same question again, then raise his eyebrow and shake his head as he took notes.

In the end he told me nothing was wrong with me and that I simply suffered with emotional issues that could be addressed by a psychologist. I'd been diagnosed with depression and anxiety prior to that and I know without an inkling of a doubt that I suffer from anxiety - it affects my life detrimentally at the best of times.

I've been under the care of my GP and a therapist since - both whom take me seriously and after dropping out of college after what can only be termed as a breakdown (or a very bad time mentally) they have helped to integrate me into university.

Basically, my dad is diagnosed bipolar and we display similar symptoms. I'm not suggesting I'm bipolar and I really don't care about a diagnosis as I'm on a mixture of medications that have stabilised me and improved my life so much, prescribed by my GP. But since the age of 10 I've experienced mental difficulty - depression, anxiety (both of which I'm diagnosed with), but also mood-swings and hallucinations.

My prior psychiatrist just seemed to think I was lying. He treated me like I was stupid and as if I was faking my problems which really didn't help. I don't want to feel and behave the way I do when I'm not well. I just want to be normal and happy but I accept I do need help at times to keep my life on a good path. I made it through the first semester of uni and I'm so proud of myself for managing because I really thought I'd end up dropping out like before due to my problems. I have a lot of support at university, at home, from my GP and therapist.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the experience of a psychiatrist who really doesn't seem to take them seriously? I don't know why, but recently it has been really bothering me. I'm not under a psychiatrist at the moment and I heard the one that I saw has now moved to a different area. My dad saw the same psychiatrist and had a difficult time with him too.

I guess it just really upsets me that someone could think I would fake such awful things. Would would anybody do that?:low:

Any replies would be appreciated. Sorry for the ramble.

katya

katya

I've never experienced this, but I would be horrified to. It's awful that you had an experience like that when you were so long, so you probably almost normalised it and thought maybe he was right - of course, he was the professional and you were a teenger? Please DO NOT think like this. A medical professional should IN NO WAY belittle a patient about mental issues, especially when they're young. It can cause self-esteem issues and prevent that person from receiving future help - and what good mental health care professional would want or even allow this to happen on their watch?

You are doing brilliantly. You're on medication that helps you and you're still in touch with your GP, despite your terribly off-putting and demoralising experience. You're integrating into uni which is so hard for anyone with the issues you face, so you should be really proud of that.

I'm glad you're now seeing a different psychiatrist who takes you seriously, as they absolutely should. Are you any closer to a diagnosis of your other symptoms with him/her? Also, have you talked to him/her about your experience with your previous psychiatrist? It might be awkward to do, but they might the best person to reassure you of how you were poorly treated, so you can put this experience behind you.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Lookingahead and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Fortunately you sound as though you've got some really good support around you which can make the world of difference.

Also sorry to hear that the psychiatrist you were referred to was so unhelpful, dismissed you and left you feeling so bad. Although my circumstances were slightly different, I had a similar issue in that I didn't get on with a psychiatrist. I went back to my GP and explained how I felt and he referred me to a different psychiatrist, who I still see now.

I would recommend doing the same and talking it through with your GP. Hopefully you'll be referred to someone more helpful and considerate. :hug1:

N

notrealname

Hopefully, he meant that you don't meet the criteria for a more serious diagnosis, which makes your prognosis a good one, but it sounds like the guy struggles with interpersonal skills and bedside manner.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that and that you felt he thought you were lying. I have no idea why he would think that and it is incredibly unprofessional of him.

Congratulations on doing so well at uni! Sounds like you're doing great :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Services 2