Trouble with Marijuana?

N

NorasDad

Hi All,

I happen to live in an American state where marijuana is now legal to purchase in licensed pot shops. I'm very proud of my state and a big believer in ending marijuana prohibition. That said, my doctor has pointed out to me that using marijuana too often causes THC to build up in the body. Apparently, this can cause a withdrawal-like syndrome as the body flushes out this old, useless THC. Anxiety can go way up.

Two questions: First, what is your experience with marijuana and anxiety?

Second, what do you think about my doctor's finding? He told me he uses cannabis himself but he counsels people to give the pipe a rest now and again. Let the body clean house.

Comments?

WhatsFriendship?

WhatsFriendship?

Hi All,

I happen to live in an American state where marijuana is now legal to purchase in licensed pot shops. I'm very proud of my state and a big believer in ending marijuana prohibition. That said, my doctor has pointed out to me that using marijuana too often causes THC to build up in the body. Apparently, this can cause a withdrawal-like syndrome as the body flushes out this old, useless THC. Anxiety can go way up.

Second, what do you think about my doctor's finding? He told me he uses cannabis himself but he counsels people to give the pipe a rest now and again. Let the body clean house.

Comments?

My opinion about marijuana isn't good. The people here in florida got marijuana legalized because they said it helps people in pain, no it doesn't it only helps the economy it brings in alot of money, in my opinion. Pot burns your brain cells imo, you eat and smoke a pack of cigarettes when your high, it makes you feel paranoid, it makes you hear voices that isn't there imo. It makes you laugh alot especially over stuff that isn't funny imo, it makes a guy super horney, he got to have alot of sex while he is under the influence of pot imo. It definately keeps the physciatrists in business imo. What mental disorders do to a person can't be undone they have to take pysco pills the rest of their life imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NorasDad

My opinion about marijuana isn't good. The people here in florida got marijuana legalized because they said it helps people in pain, no it doesn't it only helps the economy it brings in alot of money, in my opinion. Pot burns your brain cells imo, you eat and smoke a pack of cigarettes when your high, it makes you feel paranoid, it makes you hear voices that isn't there imo. It makes you laugh alot especially over stuff that isn't funny imo, it makes a guy super horney, he got to have alot of sex while he is under the influence of pot imo. It definately keeps the physciatrists in business imo. What mental disorders do to a person can't be undone they have to take pysco pills the rest of their life imo.

So we'll put you down as a "No".

Fair enough.

M3agank

M3agank

Hi All,

Comments?
I am a cannibas user myself and I find it relaxes me and allows me to eat when my body won’t let me hold down food or liquids. I have severe anxiety that can completely stop me from functioning properly. My partner and I often smoke together to resolve fights and arguing. We are both quite stubborn and have quick tempers so we stop talking till we are done smoking and can approach the situation in a calmer tone.

I think your doctor is not wrong. Cannibas, just like everything else, can possibly be harmful in large quantities. I also feel that this could vary among people. Depending on their tolerance level and severity of anxiety. I am personally seeking a doctor to help me locate the right prescription for my condition or possibly a medical card.

N

NorasDad

I am a cannibas user myself and I find it relaxes me and allows me to eat when my body won’t let me hold down food or liquids. I have severe anxiety that can completely stop me from functioning properly. My partner and I often smoke together to resolve fights and arguing. We are both quite stubborn and have quick tempers so we stop talking till we are done smoking and can approach the situation in a calmer tone.

I think your doctor is not wrong. Cannibas, just like everything else, can possibly be harmful in large quantities. I also feel that this could vary among people. Depending on their tolerance level and severity of anxiety. I am personally seeking a doctor to help me locate the right prescription for my condition or possibly a medical card.

Oh don't get me wrong, I LOVE weed. My doctor doesn't disapprove of marijuana. He's an advocate for legalization, just like me. I hope they legalize where you live.

But when they do you will find that you are like a kid in a candy store. Also, the new vape pens make it so you can have a little or a lot any time. Marijuana absolutely helps with anxiety in my opinion.

The trouble is that when it's illegal we take breaks and take the time to enjoy the weed we have. I, on the other hand, was literally getting high all day sometimes because it was so helpful with my anxiety.

Turns out that if you have anxiety and you don't give yourself a little time to process the THC in your body it can start making you anxious. Think of the THC that stays in your body as old, rotten THC rather than fresh, lovely THC.

Cutting down on weed has definitely made me feel better, although it's a little tough at first. It's like if you cut out caffeine - it makes you feel better but those first few days are not pleasant.

N

NorasDad

I've also noticed that my partner - who is not cutting down or giving her body a break - is getting more and more grouchy until she has her nightly bong hits.

WhatsFriendship?

WhatsFriendship?

M3agank
Can i have your fat cat? I love fat cats. They are adorable. I pick them up and carry them everywheres like a baby. I would also take them to sleep with me. I use to have a cat exactly like yours and she guarded my hallway from the other cats and she use to give all the other cats dirty looks then she would smack them with her paw. Her name was patches, but i called her patchy patchy. She had water around her lungs so i had to put her to sleep.

F

fightorflight

Hi All,

Comments?
I find marijuana to be one of the only things that helps with my anxiety. It allows me to calm my racing thoughts and focus on one thing, which for me is usually the TV. I don't smoke daily though because I find that being high causes me to isolate and ignore getting to the root of what triggered my anxiety in the first place. I use it for my worst days or when I have longer periods of free time that would allow my mind to wander.

I can't speak from a medical standpoint, but I think moderation is the key to most things in life. Marijuana affects my eating habits, sleep schedule, motivation, and energy level and allowing my body to get back into its natural rhythm I think is important.

N

NorasDad

I find marijuana to be one of the only things that helps with my anxiety. It allows me to calm my racing thoughts and focus on one thing, which for me is usually the TV. I don't smoke daily though because I find that being high causes me to isolate and ignore getting to the root of what triggered my anxiety in the first place. I use it for my worst days or when I have longer periods of free time that would allow my mind to wander.

I can't speak from a medical standpoint, but I think moderation is the key to most things in life. Marijuana affects my eating habits, sleep schedule, motivation, and energy level and allowing my body to get back into its natural rhythm I think is important.

That's a smart attitude.

My problem with pot is that when it works for me it's so great that I just can't resist using it more and more. These vape pens are easier on the lungs but they are a terrible temptation. I typicallly have to have one in my pocket all the time even if I don't use it - just in case.

I've been able to leave them home lately, but my moderation practices are not good.

OCD, ya know :)

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I used marijuana to escape my horrible programming from my childhood. It used to make me anxious sometimes. Sometimes I had wonderful experiences. I think it's like alcohol; it is used to cope with life and it is not so good for you. It's like a crutch.

I quit smoking it when I got pregnant because it's bad for babies. I never did it again because it's bad for children.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Like every drug, it has positive and negative effects. Nobody's experience with Cannabis should be generalized - ever. It affects different people in different ways, especially people with mental illnesses.

Different strains of Cannabis affect the mind and body differently. Different potency affects people differently. Even where it's legal Cannabis is not regulated or standardized and yet people feel comfortable recommending it because of personal experience and because it's a plant.

Dosing of Cannabis is not governed by anyone. You can buy it concentrated in edibles and have no idea how much you're taking. And I'm pretty sure most Cannabis users don't even consider what a therapeutic dose might be and hold to it. We are not good at self-regulating. So when tolerance builds up people just use more. If you can think critically about this you'll understand how all of what I've said here can be a real problem.

I took Cannabis for anxiety and depression. It was effective on certain symptoms and part of my life for decades. I think it can be very helpful but I had to stop using it to participate in an experimental program to treat my refractory depression.

Anyhow, if you take anything away from this post, I hope it will be this: The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence". How easy it is to conflate the two.

N

NorasDad

Like every drug, it has positive and negative effects. Nobody's experience with Cannabis should be generalized - ever. It affects different people in different ways, especially people with mental illnesses.

Different strains of Cannabis affect the mind and body differently. Different potency affects people differently. Even where it's legal Cannabis is not regulated or standardized and yet people feel comfortable recommending it because of personal experience and because it's a plant.

Dosing of Cannabis is not governed by anyone. You can buy it concentrated in edibles and have no idea how much you're taking. And I'm pretty sure most Cannabis users don't even consider what a therapeutic dose might be and hold to it. We are not good at self-regulating. So when tolerance builds up people just use more. If you can think critically about this you'll understand how all of what I've said here can be a real problem.

I took Cannabis for anxiety and depression. It was effective on certain symptoms and part of my life for decades. I think it can be very helpful but I had to stop using it to participate in an experimental program to treat my refractory depression.

Anyhow, if you take anything away from this post, I hope it will be this: The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence". How easy it is to conflate the two.

I don't know how California is doing, but Washington state has a labelling system that is apparently being abused a bit by growers. There has to be a sample sent to a state lab for every 5 pounds of flower sold. The analyses of those samples is very accurate, but growers who want the highest possible number on their products pick the best samples and they are not representative.

CBD products are apparently the worst. There's a huge demand and a lot of plants that just don't end up producing much and are therefore worthless - but who's going to throw all that valuable flower when you can put a high-CBD label on it?

But even what I've said is anecdote. There's just not the control in labelling that there is with alcohol, for example. I love marijuana. I think that legal marijuana is just a right of civilized adults. I think the industry is going to get a lot better but it's in its infancy.

Anecdotally, I will say that concentrate SEEMS to be more accurately labelled than flower. With liquids, it should be harder to select non-representative samples.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I'm in agreement with you @NorasDad on everything you wrote. Regarding abuse of the labeling system, I have also heard that California growers are rigging the tests so what you see isn't necessarily what you get.

I intended my rather ranting post to sound a note of caution to all of us who love cannabis - let us have a care. There are folks in our mental illness community suffering from conditions that can be made worse with the introduction of cannabis. We can't identify who they are or how likely anyone is to react badly. We want to help and we feel our personal experiences are representative.
Is recommending cannabis products - without hesitation - to all our peers really showing them compassion and care?

First, what is your experience with marijuana and anxiety?
A couple of strains of Sativa cannabis - Red Congolese and Durban Poison - have exaggerated my anxiety symptoms and paranoia resulting in panic attacks. In both cases I had smoked them so dosing was impossible to determine.

Other strains had the opposite effect. Purple Indica varieties such as GDP and Purple Urkle at certain doses seemed to calm my anxiety and facilitate sleep.

There may be substance to what your doctor advised. I quit cold turkey 5 months ago, it took 60 days to produce a THC-less sample that passed a drug screening. I didn't seem to suffer more severe anxiety symptoms during my withdrawal but my chronic insomnia was worse.

N

NorasDad

I'm in agreement with you @NorasDad on everything you wrote. Regarding abuse of the labeling system, I have also heard that California growers are rigging the tests so what you see isn't necessarily what you get.

I intended my rather ranting post to sound a note of caution to all of us who love cannabis - let us have a care. There are folks in our mental illness community suffering from conditions that can be made worse with the introduction of cannabis. We can't identify who they are or how likely anyone is to react badly. We want to help and we feel our personal experiences are representative.
Is recommending cannabis products - without hesitation - to all our peers really showing them compassion and care?

A couple of strains of Sativa cannabis - Red Congolese and Durban Poison - have exaggerated my anxiety symptoms and paranoia resulting in panic attacks. In both cases I had smoked them so dosing was impossible to determine.

Other strains had the opposite effect. Purple Indica varieties such as GDP and Purple Urkle at certain doses seemed to calm my anxiety and facilitate sleep.

There may be substance to what your doctor advised. I quit cold turkey 5 months ago, it took 60 days to produce a THC-less sample that passed a drug screening. I didn't seem to suffer more severe anxiety symptoms during my withdrawal but my chronic insomnia was worse.
Oy.

I quit for a week around the time I wrote this, but cannabis makes me feel SO GOOD!!!

I feel like I can get out of my thought loops so much more easily with cannabis. At the same time, I'm sure that the cannabis "withdrawal" (is it withdrawal? I don't know!) makes me more anxious. But how long do I have to wait to clear out the THC?

I think with legalization, people will stop being quite so deliberately naive in terms of marijuana. It's not a precise medicine. Clearly, scientists and doctors should be trying to figure out how they can create precise medicines which have the positive effects that we all feel.

Hurkatino

Hurkatino

Hi All,

Comments?
I used to use marijuanna quite frequently during the lowest of my lows and for the longest time thought if I kept up smoking that it would remove the need for my prescribed medicines. However the longer I smoked the more I personally found it to be negatively impacting my mental health. It would wreak havock on my pre-existing anxiety which would in turn build up and start to negatively impact my depression. I'm a firm believer in the medical benefits of Marijuanna. However enjoyable it was, I just found smoking it wasn't really for me. I tried a medium dose CBD oil and found it helped relieve the symptoms of anxiety and depression more than smoking would. I personally think it comes down to the individual and how their body and mind takes it.