• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

trouble with concnetrationg spellling and college

T

triple x

well i am on the worst time to lose conecentratrion. i have a mock nab on friday and the real thing on the 27th. i cant study it takes me all my effort to sort out my house as i just got new sofas and all my books had to go into the bedroom not done yet nad i need teh toilet but still cant be bothered ha ha please help i know hat i can do as i was near crying in college and had to take the work home. this is not on so please help i need the qualifications :mad:

S

SmileyGirl

Hey,
Does anyone at college know you are struggling? Is there a way you can get extra time or do your mock on a computer so you can spell check or something? Probably silly solutions and I don't really know much about what colleges can offer, but student support is confidential :)

As far as sofa's etc, is there a rush to get your place spick and span? Can you do it in bitesize pieces, like maybe just do 5 mins houswork when you come out of the loo! Hope you've got there by now!

Take care
SG

T

triple x

concentration

i did make it to the toilet lol but now I have to study I have eaten and taken my meds so now I hope to be able to study. I think i will set up a study area, the area might help.

the next couple of hours will be interesting lol will keep you updated:p

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
Hello :)

I have a similar problem, it was worse in the past when I was doing GCSEs etc, but now I'm getting used to dealing with it.

Some strategies I have used:

• Music in the background helped me when remembering facts
  • Planning when I was going to do each little bit - after I'd done a whole topic I was always proud of myself and the spurred me on to do more :)
  • Making notes - it doesn't take long as you can always just re read them when your concentration's too low
  • Flash cards - you only have to write one of two words at a time so even if you have little concentration it's managable, and again, you can re-use them at a later date
  • Taking a walk always cleared my mind
  • Sometimes, having a clean and tidy room did help me concentrate, although it may have been the frustration I vented by cleaning that helped!
  • (This one isn't necessarily a brilliant idea) When I was studying history I really got into historic novels - they don't help on the inticate details and you have to account for creative license, but you can generally get the bare facts. This was always good for me as whenever I'm in a really bad place I can still read. So I still managed to get something in my head, even if it was just people's names. If you feel this would help you, is there something similar you could do for your subject/s?

Just as an aside, even if you use a PC for exams, you aren't allowed spell check. (Or at least my dyslexic and dyspraxic (spelling?) at school weren't allowed to).

Good luck, just do your best, no one can ask for more (there's me repeating my mother!) Even when I failed an exam once, I was happy, as I had tried so hard I was proud of myself for even getting through it.

xxx

Last edited:
S

SmileyGirl

Thanks Clucky, I'll remember that for myself incase I am in that situation. Some really good points there. You go for it!

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
No problem :) At least some good's come from my years of struggling to concentrate!!

T

triple x

thanks guys

every thing u have said will be taken in, i actulally just got stuck in and my english done. i just have to stop stressing well try anyway lol

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

well i am on the worst time to lose conecentratrion. i have a mock nab on friday and the real thing on the 27th. i cant study it takes me all my effort to sort out my house as i just got new sofas and all my books had to go into the bedroom not done yet nad i need teh toilet but still cant be bothered ha ha please help i know hat i can do as i was near crying in college and had to take the work home. this is not on so please help i need the qualifications :mad:
I feel for you I really do. I was studying law at uni a few years ago and unbeknown to me then I was suffering from Bipolar disorder. During my more "manic" phases I could do 10,000 things at once; 300 essays on the go, captain of the debating team, student rep (you get the picture) in fact I think it's what helped me achieve a first:scared:

The downside of course was the depressive days, lethargy, I could barely recite my name let alone the name of a statute.

If I knew then what I know now i'd say seek help, immedialy, from any source available. I'm sure you have a student disability advisor at your college? A counsellor? Make yourself known to them now and seek all the help you can get.

Good luck and let us know how you get on xx

T

triple x

i already have a supported learning tutor but i couldn't find her today lol she is understanding sort off but she is nice.

i ill explain on monday did u pass ur law

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

i already have a supported learning tutor but i couldn't find her today lol she is understanding sort off but she is nice.

i ill explain on monday did u pass ur law
Yes with a first. I also went on to complete a Bar Vocational course. Anything is possible, but you do need to make use of the help that is there.

Good Luck

S

SmileyGirl

Goes to show people with bipolar are excellent! We all have moments of feeling cr*p but we can also really make a difference! Well done x

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Goes to show people with bipolar are excellent! We all have moments of feeling cr*p but we can also really make a difference! Well done x
The ironic thing is that often they are very high achievers (of course every case must be judged on its individual circumstances, and no-one should ever feel that they "must be high achievers either")

Bipolar is common I believe the statistics (I hate that bloody word) are 1 in a hundred people suffer from bipolar. Us guys are the lucky ones; we know we have it, so many people suffer from it without knowing.

Sometimes though I do wonder if it's best not to know.

Anyway I digress from the subject in hand. Complete your studies and go and achieve great things, the world needs folk like you:)