• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Triggered by the news

SlowlyUnravels

SlowlyUnravels

It's happened three days on a row now, it feels like the stories about obesity are there everyday! They often picture random overweight or obese passersby (with their faces croped) walking, and there's this little voice going "imagine how humiliating it would be if you were featured there. Because you would, you look *insert mean comments here*. I'm overweight now, but most of the time I feel better about my body than I used to when I was thin, and my last big crisis was about two years ago. I think I haven't purged or restricted for more than a day in a year, which is big for me. But I keep watching these, because deep down I guess I believe I deserve the pain and should hate where I am now. I've been avoiding being at home because my mom is seriously cruel and ruthless about it under the excuse of good intent (and has been for years, but that's a long story). Point is, I withstand a lot of triggers but I feel my will crushing deep inside now. This fear of "appearing on the news" or whatever is stupid but it's been bothering me very much and it feels like it might be the last straw into relapsing again

Hello513

Hello513

It's happened three days on a row now, it feels like the stories about obesity are there everyday! They often picture random overweight or obese passersby (with their faces croped) walking, and there's this little voice going "imagine how humiliating it would be if you were featured there. Because you would, you look *insert mean comments here*. I'm overweight now, but most of the time I feel better about my body than I used to when I was thin, and my last big crisis was about two years ago. I think I haven't purged or restricted for more than a day in a year, which is big for me. But I keep watching these, because deep down I guess I believe I deserve the pain and should hate where I am now. I've been avoiding being at home because my mom is seriously cruel and ruthless about it under the excuse of good intent (and has been for years, but that's a long story). Point is, I withstand a lot of triggers but I feel my will crushing deep inside now. This fear of "appearing on the news" or whatever is stupid but it's been bothering me very much and it feels like it might be the last straw into relapsing again

I am sorry you feel this way. Body shamming is an abhorrent practice I despise.

However I will say this it is unlikely you will appear on the news given how many people are in Brazil.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I remember watching a programme were they showed a woman walking in a crowd. Her face was cropped out and she was wearing a dress I had. I was convinced it was me. The programme was about obesity. I can understand your fear.

P

Purpleplum

I don't think they're body shaming. I think they are news stories about health. Overweight and obesity is rampant today and leads to shortened lifespan--heart disease, diabetes, cancers, etc...
It interests a lot of people who want to get healthier so they put it on the news.
It's not meant to say you are bad or that you should overdo it and get too thin. Getting too thin is just as unhealthy as obesity.

E

Elisante

Taking a break
Ι always wondered how the people that were used as "bad example" in the news feel.

But on the other hand obesity is a huge problem so they can't ignore it.

P

Purpleplum

Ι always wondered how the people that were used as "bad example" in the news feel.

But on the other hand obesity is a huge problem so they can't ignore it.
But they're faces aren't in it. How do they know it's them? It's a random picture on the street usually.

E

Elisante

Taking a break
But they're faces aren't in it. How do they know it's them? It's a random picture on the street usually.
I know they blur their faces, but it's pretty easy to understand it's you. But on the other hand, if you are featured in the news as an example of obesity chances are you already know you are obese.

P

Purpleplum

I know they blur their faces, but it's pretty easy to understand it's you. But on the other hand, if you are featured in the news as an example of obesity chances are you already know you are obese.
I don't think people a paying that close attention to groups of people walking by. If they show one person throughout a story though, they've gotten their approval to do so.

SlowlyUnravels

SlowlyUnravels

I am sorry you feel this way. Body shamming is an abhorrent practice I despise.

However I will say this it is unlikely you will appear on the news given how many people are in Brazil.
Body shaming is vile for sure. I guess that this one of those irrational fears, fuel for the mean uncontrollable ed comments :p

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Hey curvy guys and girls can be attractive too, I was up to 16 stone when I was risperidone, llost it all now I'm on older anti-psychotics but I still had plenty of girlfriends. And some of them were drop dead gorgeous.