• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

triggered by others' eating disorder stories

C

cara1077

This girl I kinda know posted her entire eating disorder treatment story in a facebook group (the group is unrelated to eating disorders) and it really upset and triggered me. I'm not worried about her or anything, she has a good support team and people looking out for her now. I know eating disorders are really competitive which is probably why her posting this whole long story upset me so much. I keep thinking about it and obsessing over it. It feels like my ED (that I am just now starting to come to terms with and working towards recovery) is less valid or less important because I haven't shared so publicly that I have one. I also haven't gone inpatient or to a treatment center (I'm trying really hard to stay out of it actually) but on the flip side, I also feel really invalid because I have never gone inpatient. Those seem contradictory, probably just my disorder talking. Anyway, I just sound so selfish and disordered but I don't know how to stop obsessing over this girls story and how it invalidated my own struggles and experiences. any advice or anyone else relate or know why im feeling this way?

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
Hey, I understand you feeling invalidated because she posted her story, but you really don't have to. Just because you haven't been as open yet and are still in the acceptance stage doesn't mean that your plight is any less important than hers.

I am a male who had an eating disorder. I was afraid of choking and dropped to a very low weight. Now I am a bit overweight actually but I feel healthier mostly. So you can beat it and it won't always control you.

K

katwomyn3

You have the right to distance yourself from such things, right now you are not in the right place to be around people who trigger you. You will probably develop fortitude to such things. But, it is your eating disorder feeding into you that you are not committing enough to it. It is not right. You need to learn to find a way to disassociate yourself from this voice who is telling you that this person's story is not as bad as yours. You are right there is a competitiveness to eating disorders, since there has been a culture glorifying it for long. Regardless, of what has happened to this person you described, your ED is happening to YOU. It is affecting YOU and YOUR LIFE, it is marring your quality of the life you deserve to have. You deserve so many other things in your life that isn't affected by your food intake and your weight. Maybe instead of finding a competitive relationship to this girls story, try finding something you can identify with so you dont feel so alone with your ED. Because that it was your ED wants, to isolate you and make you completely dependent on it. Try to find the strength of your identity and just strength overall to say fuck you no! It's good to be angry, just don't be angry at yourself.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Feeling extremely triggered Eating Disorders Forum 2
SlowlyUnravels Triggered by the news Eating Disorders Forum 9
2 Getting triggered by my sister :( Eating Disorders Forum 4
tonysawicki Binge eating triggered by sexual harassment Eating Disorders Forum 3
A Feeling triggered by a family member Eating Disorders Forum 30
S Not Sure How to Tell Others Eating Disorders Forum 8
M Eating right before bed Eating Disorders Forum 1
D Not eating Eating Disorders Forum 11
E I don’t know if I have an eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 2
B Apps for Healthy Eating Eating Disorders Forum 3
B Fast food and eating disorder recovery Eating Disorders Forum 1
midnightphoenix Eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 3
E Periods and eating disorder recovery Eating Disorders Forum 2
D Diabeties and Eating Eating Disorders Forum 5
Prettyroses99 I stopped eating food yesterday Eating Disorders Forum 15
M So scared of eating today Eating Disorders Forum 12
A Binge eating struggles/ experience~ in need of support im tired of this Eating Disorders Forum 3
M CBT for eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 4
sakana A rant + have trouble eating after illness Eating Disorders Forum 2
E Overweight and hate myself (TW: Eating Disorder Specifics) Eating Disorders Forum 4
I my binge eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 5
D Bpd and compulsive eating *TW* Eating Disorders Forum 6
Lookyourbest Conquered my bad eating habits but another issue has me baffled Eating Disorders Forum 1
S Health concerns due to Eating Disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 1
dabearwiffdasammich Just broke my binge/emotional eating streak and I feel angry and sad with myself. Eating Disorders Forum 16
E Eating in a healthy way during recovery Eating Disorders Forum 1
gay cotard My eating disorder is tied to my psychosis Eating Disorders Forum 3
L I need help for my girlfriend with an eating disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 3
T Does your eating disorder feel like an imaginary friend? Eating Disorders Forum 16
A Starting to suspect an eating disorder- advice needed Eating Disorders Forum 2
K Maybe dealing with an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 5
sweetnicotine I might have an eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 5
indigoroad Do i have an eating disorder or am i picky? Eating Disorders Forum 5
M Is this a an eating disorder?? Eating Disorders Forum 6
F Do i have an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 5
L Binge eating and bulimia help Eating Disorders Forum 7
C Mentally exhausted and feel like I’m drowning in my eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 12
Q Binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 1
M I don't know if I am actually suffering from an eating disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 6
L Friend has admitted to me that she purges after eating any food Eating Disorders Forum 5
S Binge Eating disorder and gastric band Eating Disorders Forum 11
izzybizzy struggling with a potential binge-eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 7
jajingna Is eating more than five times a day a disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 13
Y Eating disorder recovery Eating Disorders Forum 3
L Does this sound like an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 17
F Comfort Eating... Eating Disorders Forum 5
F Binge eating/emotional eating Eating Disorders Forum 27
A Do I have an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 7
F Comfort/Binge eating... Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Selective eating Eating Disorders Forum 2