• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

***TRIGGER WARNING *** how to support a rape victim

H

HeleneLica

Hello everyone,
So my sister was sexually assaulted during a trip she went one year ago to visit her best friend who was participating in a student exchange program at that time. Her friend was basically very busy during my sister’s stay so one of those days my sister decided to hang out with a guy she had just met there. They just went for a morning coffee and then he suggested to go to his dorm room. Unfortunately, his intentions weren’t pure and my sister was forced to experience something so horrible, so devastating in a trip she has been dreaming for months. When she told her friend what had happened she wasn’t very supportive , as if she couldn’t realize this was a sexual assault. She couldn’t understand how serious things were. She never understood and never helped my sister. So when my sister came back she was totally broken. As we live in different cities we were only talking on the phone every day at that time . She hadn’t told me what happened until six months later, when she came to stay with me for a month. I was shocked. I could tell something was torturing her those six months as she was telling me that something bad happened on that trip but it never crossed my mind. Oh my god, it was horrific. I didn’t know how to react, I just cried and cried and hugged her. I was devastated. I still am. The thing is i didn’t know what was the best way to help her. So I decided not to ever bring it up again, I didn’t want her to remember and relive those moments. I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing just pretending it never happened. I’m just scared. It’s very difficult, I think about it almost every day, what I should do or should have done because it’s been a year now. And I don’t want this to affect my relationship with my sister. I’m so afraid to ask her how she feels. I don’t know what to do. Can someone help me deal with this and advise me how to help my sister ?

J

JeanPierre

it is better to acknowledge it. It is real.
I hope your sister is finding solace and healing.
You will find your way.
Welcome here.

H

HeleneLica

it is better to acknowledge it. It is real.
I hope your sister is finding solace and healing.
You will find your way.
Welcome here.
Thank you for your response. The thing is my sister is a very strong person. She never talks about it and it seems that nothing has changed in her, she is very happy as she was before. But I’m not sure how she feels. The first six months were very difficult and she was all alone. Of course we talked every day and I tried to help her but she hadn’t told me anything about it. It was a very overwhelming period for her, emotionally, as we were in quarantine and I thought this was the cause. But when she told me, she had already recovered to a great extent. That’s what I understood so I didn’t want her to recapture those moments.

H

HeleneLica

Is your sister getting professional help to deal with the trauma? :hug:
No she hadn’t asked for professional help but I know she wants to. It’s just difficult during quarantine and we haven’t found the right one.

J

JeanPierre

Thank you for your response. The thing is my sister is a very strong person. She never talks about it and it seems that nothing has changed in her, she is very happy as she was before. But I’m not sure how she feels. The first six months were very difficult and she was all alone. Of course we talked every day and I tried to help her but she hadn’t told me anything about it. It was a very overwhelming period for her, emotionally, as we were in quarantine and I thought this was the cause. But when she told me, she had already recovered to a great extent. That’s what I understood so I didn’t want her to recapture those moments.
I understand.
I'm so sorry this happened.
Well, follow her lead.
Best luck!