• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Trigger warning *Alcoholism

7920NewbridgeCovina

7920NewbridgeCovina

⚠Trigger warning *Alcoholism *Abuse

Do you ever get triggered by smells?
I had a few drinks. A few very strong drinks. I’m now sweating booze. It reminds me of a guy I dated a few years ago. He was a great person when he was sober. It was pretty rare. Sadly I felt the most loved around him when he was consoling me after he hit me or cheated on me.

I started drinking because I’m feeling a little neglected in my current relationship. It kind of makes me miss being hit a little.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The good thing is that your out of that relationship and hopefully in a much better place. I was married to a violent alcoholic and it took years to recover from the emotional and physical damage done and i hate being around heavy drinkers . The smell of alcohol obviously triggers bad memories for you so try to steer clear as much as you can. Have you and your partner talked about what your problems are and why your feeling neglected he may not have even realised that your feeling like this

7920NewbridgeCovina

7920NewbridgeCovina

The good thing is that your out of that relationship and hopefully in a much better place. I was married to a violent alcoholic and it took years to recover from the emotional and physical damage done and i hate being around heavy drinkers . The smell of alcohol obviously triggers bad memories for you so try to steer clear as much as you can. Have you and your partner talked about what your problems are and why your feeling neglected he may not have even realised that your feeling like this
I’m glad you’re in a safe space as well!
The hardest part about healing from the abuse is this I still miss it sometimes. And I understand the psychology behind why I miss it.
We have talked about it a little. He is an incredibly carefree person. He doesn’t worry about anything. I’m not. I need a plan and clear direction. He can get up a go. Part of that is from being ex army. Part of that is his past relationship. She controlled everything. I know he’s still healing from that as well. I know we’re both the way we are because we still have to heal from our past. I have a lot of control issues. I’m doing my best to control my emotions and things in my day to day life because I have no control in other areas. His ex wife still has a lot of control in our house and I can’t stand it. He has teenage children with her and we have a newborn together. I don’t like how they treat him or myself. They’re disrespectful and she encourages them to act the way they do and then come home to her and “rat him out” for all the bad things he does. It could be something as simple as a tone taken with them when they don’t do what they’re told. I’m not allowed to back him up in anyway because then we’re ganging up on them and creating a “toxic environment that they don’t have to live in”. They’re creating a unhealthy environment for their half sibling. I’m exhausted by the fact that he’s given up and allowed her to control how we run our house.

Zero One

Zero One

Her sphere of control should really end at the children. If you are kind to the children you may have better results unless they have resentment towards you.

I was triggered, although I hate that word, to drink really bad yesterday. I just wanted to be gone and the delusions I was having were the sickest sort, and so strong with paranoia...still I managed not to drink.