• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

trichotillomania

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
compulsive hair pulling (or impulse control disorder)

sometimes classed under OCD umbrella but i personally wouldn't put it there..

in my case there are no consequences, real or imagined if i don't pull my hair out (apart from clogging up the hoover :eek:

sorry, sounds disgusting :scared:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
My OH pulls his hair out , but his SW doesn't seem too bothered about it !

How long have you done it for ?
Is the title of this thread the name for pulling your hair out ?

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
My OH pulls his hair out , but his SW doesn't seem too bothered about it !

How long have you done it for ?
Is the title of this thread the name for pulling your hair out ?
yes .. trichotillomania is compulsive hair pulling ...

(i'm not surprised by SW not seeming bothered ... everytime i've mentioned it to a doctor with the exception of this last time, i just get a raised eyebrow and a brush - over (urk ! non intentional hair references :p

there are support networks i have found on tinternet

i joined this one

http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/

I first started with my eyelashes aged 15, then my scalp.. it hasn't been a constant everyday thing i do .. i tend to have bouts varying in severity

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Thank's for the link , i have faved it :)

D

Dollit

So is this a sort of self-harm then? When I cut I know I'll get the effect that I need to help me cope - do you get the same when you do it with your hair? Sorry if this seems prurient but I think understanding each other helps us to understand ourselves. :tea:

Last edited:
Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
So is this a sort of self-harm then? When I cut I know I'll get the effect that I need to help me cope - do you get the same when you do it with your hair? Sorry if this seems prurient but I think understanding each other helps us to understand ourselves. :tea:
I would personally say so yes .

D

Dollit

My psych is overseeing a study on self-harm - I wonder if he includes this. If I can remember I'll mention it to him when I see him at the end of the month.

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
hmmm.... I would say it possibly can be. Although i don't physically harm myself in any other way i know others with trich do .

I think theres a debate amongst professionals about the classification... is it an obsession ? a compulsion ? a habit?
personally i have only ever come acros ONE doctor amongst more than a few who has even heard of it :rolleyes:

i have highlighted a section of info from the trich forum which might explain a bit

The pulling behaviour in Trichotillomania is triggered by an impulse rather than an obsession. Compulsive behaviour reduces the anxiety brought on by obsessive thought, which is what sustains the behaviour. An impulse on the other hand is a behaviour that produces pleasure or comfort. The person with Trichotillomania finds the pulling behaviour pleasurable and comforting, but also realises the consequences of the behaviour. ie: Baldness. Few people would choose to be bald so the individual is faced with a dilemma. One part of the person has the urge to pull while at the same time reasoning is telling them not to because of the consequences. It is a case of short term gratification versus long term consequences, or more exactly, impulse versus reason.

D

Dollit

This is interesting. When I cut it's in answer to an impulse - I know I'll get the release at the cost of the scar but I still find it hard to resist. It's not obsessive but it can be addictive. Anyone else got a point of view on this? :tea:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
I do hair pulling too- I sometimes even attack my eyebrows and eye lashes and leave holes in them

thank god for eye brow pencils I say

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
i spent alot of my teens with no eyelashes at all .. and a 2 inch wide parting :eek:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
although i dont pull my hair out, when i was younger i used to get the scissiors and cut the underneath of it so my mum wouldnt see.

As time went on this changed to cutting my arm and leg, so i spose that the hair cutting was probably the start of something

D

Dollit

Hi guys - I've just got back from the psych and I asked him about trichotillomania and whether he would regard it as self-harm (he's doing a study on self-harm so he's quite up on it) and he said that if you consider it to be self-harm then it is. I cut myself and it leaves a scar but I get enormous relief from it and it really helps, therefore the choice to define it as self-harm or not becomes mine. Therefore I am empowered. :tea:

yodel

yodel

Founding Member
Hi all :grouphug:

My husband first did this some years ago now. One morning I woke up to find he had cut off all his hair with a pair of kitchen scissors. He said that he could have continued through to his scalp :scared: (Which suggested to me it was a form of self harm). his hair was all patchy and bald in places. After that if his hair grew enough to be pulled he would tug at it and suggest I cut it for him. We bought a shaver and I use to cut it on at least a number 2 and he felt much better. :) Since then he seems to have been 'cured' because he decided to have highlights in which I paid for. When I discussed this with him much later he said when he went to pull his hair he told himself that it would upset me has I had paid for his hair doing and that would help him not pull (which then suggested it was an habit or obsession). Recently he asked me to dye his hair blue (which I did) and he has gone into a relapse of his illness (hearing voices). I spoke to him about this and I suggested that he was trying to 'camouflage' himself (which he admitted), so therefore suggesting psychosis was the trigger.

Who knows :unsure: