• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Trichotillomania

R

Rose19602

Not sure if it's the same condition, but I know someone who does it with a different location.
She started at about the same age as sufferers of this condition and was dx'd eventually with a PD.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
Kunoichi

Kunoichi

Thank you! I'm extremely new here, and seeing this thread made me feel better. I've been suffering from this for 10 years and it feels like I'm alone. This made me hopeful.

R

Rose19602

No, not alone I'm sure.
It must be a very difficult condition to manage.....
Self harm can be hidden, but Trichotillomania - is much harder to hide.

I watched a documentary on hair loss conditions and trichologists ages ago. There were techniques to replace hair lost due to this particular condition, and of course others, so that cosmetically at least the damage was less noticeable.

I imagine it depends on whether you are in recovery or likely to cause further damage atm?

You can talk about how it affects you if you would like to Kunoichi, but be aware that your post may be edited.

Just so you know, the moderators are currently reviewing this thread, as, in my post, I mentioned specific details of the condition. This was removed as it was deemed to contain self harm specifics.

We're currently discussing how specific we can allow people to be when talking about this condition, as this condition is a bit of a "grey area". It's important though that you are heard and can discuss it openly if you want to.

Have you considered starting a journal, where you could tell us some of your story? I think it would be very useful for others who may suffer similarly.

Thank you very much for posting.
x

Last edited by a moderator:
Kunoichi

Kunoichi

I posted about it in the journal thread about my journey with it and it disappeared 10 min later...so much for that idea lol

R

Rose19602

I think it's still being debated.
I'll let you know when a decision is made.

I think that because it's seem as a form of self harm, details have to be edited.
It's a difficult one.

As long as you're not currently desperate to post...could you hang on?
Sorry about suggesting the journals....I obviously gave you the wrong advice.
Whoops!
x

Kunoichi

Kunoichi

I can wait and no problem it's all good =] Thank you