• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

trichotillamania

B

boo boo

hello all
I have trichotillamania, and I really want to get rid of it

B

boo boo

talking to myself

had it for 10 years now and I'm sick of feeling like a freak.
My spouse hates it and feels like im disrespecting him when I pull out my hair.
I just dont know how to stop.
I'm o.c.d about cleaning also

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I had this as a child and ow as an adult I ve just replaced it with other stuff... are you having any sort of therepy like CBT??

D

Dollit

I discussed this with my consultant (I don't have it put he lets me plug in on his experience) earlier in the year and he said that, in certain cases, he treats this as a form of self harm.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
hello all
I have trichotillamania, and I really want to get rid of it
Hello & :welcome: to MHF :)
My OH also has this ........... thankfully it's easing a bit now.
Another member posted a link some where on here to a forum about it ......... if i find it before you i'll come back and put it in here :)

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hi and :welcome:

My brother had Trichotillamania when we were children. I remember not being understanding of his condition and the effect it had on his self esteem and confidence - luckily I grew up.

After a few years my brother did eventually find a way of managing this and no longer does it. I wish I could tell you how he tackled his condition, but I was too young to be able to remember.

I hope you find what you are looking for here and if you need anything just ask, everyone is friendly and supportive on here.

Take Care

Companion

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello & :welcome: to MHF :)
My OH also has this ........... thankfully it's easing a bit now.
Another member posted a link some where on here to a forum about it ......... if i find it before you i'll come back and put it in here :)

Here we go .........
http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/

Sandybob from here pointed it out to me, maybe she'd be able to offer you some advice too :)

S

scaredmom

my daughter is 13 and has recently been diagnosed with trichotillamania. We are all having such difficulty with this. She is getting help from a therapist who she seems to trust and like alot. But the hair pulling has gotten much worse from when it first started months ago. She has now pulled a large circle on the top of her head and has gone from pulling a hair at a time to many hairs at one time. I am soooooooo upset and need help myself dealing with this. I am constantly watching her and trying different ways to stop her. But am afraid I'm driving her crazy talking about it all the time!!! It has become my compulsion! Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!:(