• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Treatments for cPTSD

T

theteaman

Hi Everyone

I've recently come to realise that I have cPTSD. The trauma comes from years of bullying at secondary school as well as a very critical father.

I regularly experience emotional flashbacks, crushing toxic shame, a vicious inner critic, depression and social anxiety. The fight/flight response is activated during an emotional flashback and when this happens I always freeze. If it is an intense emotional flashback then the sympathetic nervous system becomes hyperaroused which often leads to sweating and occasionally facial blushing.

The flashbacks range in intensity but are often stimulated in situations where I'm with strangers, especially white people since it was white people who traumatised me.

I'd like to know if anyone has experienced something similar and what the possible treatments are.

I've tried the following;
  1. CBT - Didn't work
  2. MDMA - It helped me to access those traumatic memories so now I'm able to talk about it openly with people without becoming too upset
  3. Meditation - It helps to ground me
Has anyone tried something else that has helped to cure them?

N

NoOne5

Welcome to the forum. I have yet to find relief from my P.T.S.D. It stays for life sadly. However support and wellness tools can help us cope with our suffering.
:hug: :hug:

Keesha

Keesha

Welcome to the forum. I have yet to find relief from my P.T.S.D. It stays for life sadly. However support and wellness tools can help us cope with our suffering.
:hug: :hug:
Ditto. I’ve got this and I don’t believe it’s curable. Of course I could be wrong.
Perhaps I should say, in MY circumstances, nothing has helped. I deal with it in my own way which is probably considered unorthodox

Y

Yakamoz

I had a mixture of body-orientated methods like somatic experiencing (Levine), tapping (Bohne), embodiment (Storch) in conjunction with trance-methods like EMDR, Brainspotting and a lot of Ego-State Work.
Found this method-mix very helpful to decouple the former sources.

Keesha

Keesha

Hi Keesha
Thanks for your reply. I'd be happy to hear your unorthodox ways :)
I’m sorry theteaman . I missed your post.
My answer was more ‘tongue in cheek.’ I haven’t been officially diagnosed with this but after much research, this seems very fitting to my symptoms and life experience. My unorthodox ways of treating it, aren’t actually treating it. I’ve just been exceptionally patient and kind with myself lately knowing I have been through trauma most people can’t and shouldn’t be able to imagine. Somehow I get the distinct feeling that people think I’m making this up. Im not sure what the advantage would be.

I’m currently reading a book called ‘complex PTSD - from surviving to thriving - by Pete Walker which is excellent. Yesterday I came to the conclusion that if I’ve survived my brutal attacks with no revenge, hatred or retaliation of any kind, then I can handle one day at a time. I’m currently looking into tapping and hoping my extended insurance will pay for it.

I ‘feel’ like I scare people. Then again, why wouldn’t they be scared if they don’t understand it. If evil people used me for their own greedy selfishness reasons, knowing they could get away with it and I’d have no memory of it, why wouldn’t others be afraid. That’s understandable. Sad but understandable.
I had a mixture of body-orientated methods like somatic experiencing (Levine), tapping (Bohne), embodiment (Storch) in conjunction with trance-methods like EMDR, Brainspotting and a lot of Ego-State Work.
Found this method-mix very helpful to decouple the former sources.
May I ask how long this took and if your insurance paid for it or if it’s something you had to pay for?
I’m not comfortable with the orthodox way of treating this so am seeking unorthodox ways like such. My dilemma is cost. It’s not something I can realistically afford.