• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Treatments for BPD

C

Ciarak

I was recently diagnosed with BPD although its clear I have been suffering with it since my early teens, I will have to wait another few weeks to see what treatments will be on offer, group therapy was mentioned. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced any of the treatments and have it worked for them? I don't have much patience for prolonged treatments and I am sick of feeling like this, I don't like the idea of attending therapy for years either, does it take years to recover from this or is there quicker way to cope with the symptoms, especially depressive symptoms?

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have recently just finished having MBT Mentalisation Based Treatment which was group therapy and individual therapy both once a weekfor 18 months it has helped me a little but they think I need more intensive treatment like a therapeutic community which would be months rather than years I know what you mean about patience but it isn't going to go away overnight unfortunatley I have been under mental health for the last 13 years and it has been a very slow process for me anyway but everyone is different and people get recover at different rates hope this helps somewhat
Messy x

MadEmma

MadEmma

My experience bpd therapy

I have had talking therapies about my past and things that I saw right and normal at the time which as I have grown into an adult and been diagnosed with bpd have realised were not normal and right. This helped me to let my emotions out and say how things had made me feel. That really helped.

I have been experiencing mental illness since I was 4 and didnt get properly diagnosed till a few years ago. When i mean diagnosed i mean 'given a label', as BPD and mood dosorder of possible Bi polar.

I have been on many different pills and potions for my illness and not found they have helped very much. The best therapy is education about the illness and also finding people who have similar illness like this forum and group networking on the net. I dont think you can cure BPD but learn to live with it, my major achievements with my bpd were acceptance of the past and realising that things werent my fault and to stop blaming myself. It takes years to understand yourself and why you are the way you are.

I have a occupational therapist once a month i vent to for a hr and a shrink once every 6 mths. I dont find this very helpful but there arent really any services for me in the area.

I have recently just finished having MBT Mentalisation Based Treatment which was group therapy and individual therapy both once a weekfor 18 months it has helped me a little but they think I need more intensive treatment like a therapeutic community which would be months rather than years I know what you mean about patience but it isn't going to go away overnight unfortunatley I have been under mental health for the last 13 years and it has been a very slow process for me anyway but everyone is different and people get recover at different rates hope this helps somewhat
Messy x

dib4uk

dib4uk

Regarding therapy, im waiting for psychodynamic psychotherapy.... but theres no one hard and fast therapy avaliable for personality disorders.

K

ksb

Messy x
do you mind me asking what area you live in , and how you got to hear about MBT im trying to find something of this nature for my partner but when i asked the dr he wasnt ver helpfull .

thank x

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Ksb I live in Surrey and it was a new thing they were trying out and I got put forward for it I don't know how you would go about finding out about it I know they are running it again in my area sorry if I am not much help
Messy

dib4uk

dib4uk

They have it in my area as well i live in a bourough in south london but my post code is surrey as well. If you think that this particiular ? treatment might help have a word with your cpn or any other person in your cmht they can refer you for assessment. My psychiatrist was going to refer me but my therapy for pyschodynamic starts in june about time!!!!!!!!!!!! been waiting for over a year.

J

janejuly10

They have it in my area as well i live in a bourough in south london but my post code is surrey as well. If you think that this particiular ? treatment might help have a word with your cpn or any other person in your cmht they can refer you for assessment. My psychiatrist was going to refer me but my therapy for pyschodynamic starts in june about time!!!!!!!!!!!! been waiting for over a year.
Hi dib4uk. I also live in a surrey/south london PCT area (Sutton&Merton). Do you know if MBT is available in this area? My GP practice is not enthusiastic about agreeing to referrals that impact on their budget, so I probably can't get referred unless the PCT already has a contract with whoever is offering the MBT. I understand this as there are many more severely in need of help than I am, but on the other hand I really would like to get some assistance if I can.