• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Treatment without meds?

B

baloobas

Does anyone know of any non-med related treatments for Bipolar Disorder symptoms? I don't take meds as they ratehr diaggree with me/ don't work but I could really do witha good night's sleep sometime soon!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Didn't that famous bipolar guy do a programes about treatments and some were on alternatives, i think alternatives for schitsoprenia my illness are harder to find, maybe some will disagree

Stephen Fry i remember now, made it quite fashionable for a bit, hollywood stars were saying they had it, haven't seen one say they've got schitsoprenia

B

baloobas

yeah it does seem a bit of a 'fashion' sometimes to declare mental health problems. Mind there was a really good documentary on bipolar disorder and schitzophrenia without meds on channel 4 earlier in the year (I think it was called the doctor who hears voices). Might be worth checking out?

A

Apotheosis

Does anyone know of any non-med related treatments for Bipolar Disorder symptoms? I don't take meds as they ratehr diaggree with me/ don't work but I could really do witha good night's sleep sometime soon!
Beyond the basics - Good diet, exercise, relaxation, manage stress, & generally looking after ourselves. Support groups can be good; check the main MIND & Rethink web sites for local support services. Meditation techniques I think can be of good assistance, with practise. Certain psychological assistance is beneficial, which can mean simply good relationships & informal social support. If access to a Good counsellor, Jungian therapist, or anyone who is sympathetic & understanding to the issues involved, is possible; then this also can be of great assistance. I find herbal sleep aids beneficial, but sometimes have needed something stronger. Here are a couple of sites with some good information on "alternatives".

http://www.mindfreedom.org/

http://theicarusproject.net/

& a very good guide on the Icarus site;

http://theicarusproject.net/alterna...duction-guide-to-coming-off-psychiatric-drugs

Hope that helps.

From a lay man's perspective & within my own experience of 2 decades of dealing with stuff & being through the MH system, I fail to see any major or significant distinctions between the main umbrella terms. Of course we are all individual & should be treated as such. What I mean is that in my own life I have had many different diagnoses, I have known others to have the same changing diagnoses, & when in hospital & chatting to people, it does appear the same general symptoms are operating at the core of the "illness" whether the label be manic depression, (paranoid) &/or Schizophrenia, major depression (with psychotic features, PTSD or psychosis. I can fully identify with the symptoms of a manic depressive, & that label has been explored from time to time; it was 8 years before any definite label was applied, before then was - drug induced psychosis, psychotic depression, the resurfacing of an undiagnosed psychotic illness, then schizophrenia, then paranoid schizophrenia, different psychiatrists have questioned this diagnosis over the past 10 years, some thinking I have something more in line with schizo affective disorder; among other things. Presently; the last psychiatrist said I had recovered to a degree & didn't think I was schizophrenic. It is obviously not a complete recovery as I am dependant on meds.

Sorry to ramble off on one there, I was thinking out loud. Maybe I should start another thread exploring peoples changing diagnoses. I admire your plans to try a med free recovery, & I wish you all the best.

B

baloobas

No that's helpful and I love ramblign threads :)

I was pretty certain I was manic depressive from the off set (It runs in my family and well I'm apparently a walking text book case minus the psychosis/ hallucinations) however it did take two major nervous breakdowns and seeign a consultant psych to geta proper diagnosis (before that thery'd toyed with the utterly inappropriate borderline personaility label and the just generic depresison label) I had an eating disorder for well over 12 years (age 7 - 19) and whilst being in 'recovery' I still have some slightly ocd traits related to that.

I've been tried on various meds (however I refuse point blank to try lithium) and I'm largely happy and so on. I find being manic or depressed is not a matetr of happy and sad more a relation to how tired or not tired or how buzzing and how not buzzing I am; how emotionally vulnerable or not. I have a cack sleepign pattern no matetr what and I find sleep deprivation is always likly to exacerabte any mental health symptoms and I want to get that under contriol however sleepign meds don;t touch me (I currently just put familiar audio books/ radio plays on at night which helps) but I could do with soem good alternative non med related ideas for getting to sleep. i've found meditation just doesn't work for helping me sleep and it's more than a tad frustrating at the moment.

I work odd-ish hours at work which is suspect doesn;t help too much :)

A

Apotheosis

I have a cack sleepign pattern no matetr what and I find sleep deprivation is always likly to exacerabte any mental health symptoms and I want to get that under contriol however sleepign meds don;t touch me (I currently just put familiar audio books/ radio plays on at night which helps) but I could do with soem good alternative non med related ideas for getting to sleep. i've found meditation just doesn't work for helping me sleep and it's more than a tad frustrating at the moment.

I work odd-ish hours at work which is suspect doesn;t help too much :)
I have a poor sleep routine too. I have had a psychiatric nurse explain that what my "condition" sounds most like is in actual fact a sleep disorder. Every period of illness has coincided with severe sleep deprivation. It is something I struggle a lot with too. I am asleep around 3-4am most nights & up between 6-12am, usually around 10am I am awake, approx 6 hours on average a night, which is ok. When I am not sleeping enough at night, I try to get sleep where & when I can. I like afternoon naps when the mood takes me. When ill I don't sleep, quite literally.

lucid scream

lucid scream

funny that y'all mention it, ive thought my only real problem was lack of sleep for a long time. i havent slept more than 2 hours straight without chemical help for 15 years.

A

Apotheosis

funny that y'all mention it, ive thought my only real problem was lack of sleep for a long time. i havent slept more than 2 hours straight without chemical help for 15 years.
It's quite possible a lack of sleep was one of the real causes that predisposed you to "problems". A lot of this is chicken & egg. But surely it is more rational to say that due to certain stresses in my life & social circumstances in my individual experience; lead to a psychological & emotional reaction to what I was actually experiencing in a very real & tangible sense, & my "condition" has its roots in very objective causes. Obviously my brain chemicals went awry as a secondary result. Or is it more rational to say, as much of the orthodox has tended to; that due to an unknown genetic predisposition I awoke one morning & the chemicals in my brain were fried? I know what makes more sense to me.

D

DNA

Hello,
my brother is refusing medications. Unfortunately he also does not acknowledge his condition.
So I'm looking into alternatives to meds.(not that he would take supplements either:so strictly through diet).

The first link is to a good site that has extensive list of herbs and supplements but does not give any suggestion for bipolar or schizophrenia. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/depression-000047.htm

the next link is to a site which has good dietary guides. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

my final two links do address both bipolar and schizophrenia. I have chosen to show a page on pasiflora incarnata, because there are some studies that indicate its uses for insomnia,drug withdrawal and even for reducing psicosis but I don't know how valid these studies are.
http://www.lifewatch-eap.com/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=11872&cn=15

http://www.mhcdinfo.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=11883&cn=15

A

Apotheosis

Thanks for the links DNA. Personally I have found talking with people the best therapy, but I would consider there being multiple differing reasons for mental ill health & some do respond very well to dietary considerations.