• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Treatment Resistant Depression

M

Madam Butterfly

I have been suffering with depression and ADD since I was 4 years old and now I’m 47. Nothing traumatic happened to me to cause it. I just remember as a child feeling a since of sadness all the time and I did not find enjoyment in anything that most children found enjoyment in. I had a hard time in school with paying attention.. i wasn’t hyper, just easily distracted and lacked initiative. Stimulants help somewhat with the ADD but nothing helps my depression. Over 20 plus years I’ve tried every antidepressant plus ECT and Ketamine treatments. My depression is so debilitating that I receive Social Security Disability for it. I’ve been to several doctors and no one seems to be able to help. Some doctors say it’s a chemical or physiological problem or my depression is treatment resistant but if either of these are the case how do I find relief from my symptoms.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello Madam Butterfly. Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear how you are feeling. It is so hard to have depression that does not respond to treatment. Have you had therapy? I have bpd and I feel sad constantly. I get little moments of a lift through reading a cosy book or eating something nice. I am not saying for you to do that but I have accepted I will always feel this way and I try to focus on little moments. I do not know if that is of any help to you.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi. Struggling with depression for so long without relief, it sounds very tough and im sorry for all the pain you're enduring. I'm also diagnosed MDD-treatment resistant. You mentioned how the medicine interventions weren't effective, how about therapy has that helped any?

M

Madam Butterfly

Hi. Struggling with depression for so long without relief, it sounds very tough and im sorry for all the pain you're enduring. I'm also diagnosed MDD-treatment resistant. You mentioned how the medicine interventions weren't effective, how about therapy has that helped any?
Actually not really.. the thing is there is really nothing I’m depressed about except being depressed. That’s why when I tried counseling and was not that effective.. I’m trying to do what the first respondant said and that is try to ignore it and work through it but it’s hard.. thank you both for responding it helps me know I’m not a lone

M

Madam Butterfly

Hello Madam Butterfly. Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear how you are feeling. It is so hard to have depression that does not respond to treatment. Have you had therapy? I have bpd and I feel sad constantly. I get little moments of a lift through reading a cosy book or eating something nice. I am not saying for you to do that but I have accepted I will always feel this way and I try to focus on little moments. I do not know if that is of any help to you.
Thank you for responding.. it helps me not feel so alone.. I’ve been trying everything and getting frustrated but maybe you are right and acceptance may eliminate my frustration a little.. just like you said.. just kinda accept I will always feel this way.. I think I will try it for a little bit until I get up some more strength to try new medications.. I haven’t tried the MAOI antidepressants.. I thought I will do that next .. I’m just tired that’s all.. I’ve tried over twenty different medications over the years.. thanks again for your response

Taffy

Taffy

I have been suffering with depression and ADD since I was 4 years old and now I’m 47. Nothing traumatic happened to me to cause it. I just remember as a child feeling a since of sadness all the time and I did not find enjoyment in anything that most children found enjoyment in. I had a hard time in school with paying attention.. i wasn’t hyper, just easily distracted and lacked initiative. Stimulants help somewhat with the ADD but nothing helps my depression. Over 20 plus years I’ve tried every antidepressant plus ECT and Ketamine treatments. My depression is so debilitating that I receive Social Security Disability for it. I’ve been to several doctors and no one seems to be able to help. Some doctors say it’s a chemical or physiological problem or my depression is treatment resistant but if either of these are the case how do I find relief from my symptoms.
Hello! Welcome! This sounds like me I have had anxiety and depression most of my life. I have been in therapy on just about every medication out there. I'm no better maybe nothing works for some people so what do we do? I hope there is an answer I hope you and me find it.🤔

M

Madam Butterfly

Hello! Welcome! This sounds like me I have had anxiety and depression most of my life. I have been in therapy on just about every medication out there. I'm no better maybe nothing works for some people so what do we do? I hope there is an answer I hope you and me find it.🤔
Thank you for responding.. keep me up to date with your quest.. if you find something please don’t hesitate to let me know