• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Treatment-Resistant Depression, Lethargy, Sleep Apnoea

T

ThrownOutTheAsylum

Does anyone here struggle with depression alongside lethargy and sleep apnoea?

Why Do I ask?

From 18 to my mid-fifties I never seemed to have a good night's sleep and occasionally had mild depression from being over-critical of myself which I kept under control with self help. I had 2 separate successful and demanding careers where no-one had any idea of my underlying struggles.

Then, seemingly overnight, I had extreme tiredness that quickly led to depression and my effectively taking early retirement. Various antidepressants and talking cures had little or no effect and I overcame the depression with exercise and self-help/CBT. The tiredness remained and sleep studies showed that I had central sleep apnoea (where my brain stops signalling me to breathe rather than the more common throat issues) and Periodic Limb Movement Syndrome (where my legs and often my whole body twitch in my sleep); however, different treatments over 3 years all produced frustrating false dawns, leaving me with excellent sleep statistics but still struggling with feeling tired and crap.

Six weeks ago my struggles got too much and a crushing lethargy quickly led to depression. Doing anything other than sitting and vegetating is hard. I eat healthily and exercise, jogging 3-6 miles each day (not bad for someone in their sixties), so this isn't ME/CFS. Over the years I've had all sorts of blood, neurological and cardiac tests that have come to nothing. I've tried a variety of health-related pills without any success. I seem to be banging my head against a wall, figuratively and literally (yes, really; I've done it in frustration many times).

With the backlog and increased demand caused by the corona virus reaction, I can't see myself getting any help through the NHS.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It sounds like you are doing everything you can to get better.

Some people are treatment-resistant.

I don't think even the doctors know of the causes of some of these symptoms and if a tablet makes life easier, then we are lucky.

There are so many viruses going around. A friend of mine caught chickenpox late in life and was ill with all kinds of things until she died of old age. We just have to look at many who have had covid and how they are now extremely exhausted months on.

How is your memory and those sorts of things?

T

ThrownOutTheAsylum

Thanks.

My memory deteriorated and is one of the reasons I couldn't function at work in between the symptoms hitting and my giving up work. My memory would go blank, which was crucial where my job relied on knowledge that would just disappear from my head; some days I couldn't even remember my wife or boss's names. My memory has improved since I effectively retired, but I still am very absent-minded, countless times every day putting something down and forgetting where I put it or what I just did with it, and remembering people's names is beyond me.

Mind you, my current low-stress life means that I could live with the memory issues. It's the lethargy that I can't cope with.

J

JCPraha

I have had a similar problem. My mind and memory deteriorated and I had to stop working at 61, which is really too soon, but I was lethargic and my memory went bad, so I had to stop. I was involved with rather complex work involving computer programming, so i can no longer function in this capacity. I have tried many types of treatments, including medication and even ECT, nothing seems to help. I am frequently very depressed because of this. I really don't know what to do. I also have lethargy, which makes it very difficult to even do rather basic tasks at times. I don''t know how long I can survive like this. It is terrible.

J

JCPraha

It is very difficult to live with these symptoms. I really don't know what to do.