• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Treatment of TBI/ABI, vs. bi-polar treatment, only.

B

bernie47

Is there treatment for TBI/ABI that is significantly and successfully different than meds and talking therapies for bi-polar, only? I have all three, but recently realized that I'm only being treated as a bi-polar . . . ONLY!

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I'm going to sound really ignorant now but what are TBI and ABI? Is it something to do with brain injury? I hope you don't mind me asking.

B

bernie47

TBI: traumatic brain injury, as from concussions and severe head injuries.
ABI: acquired brain injury, from oxygen deprivation, as from strokes, being revived from death . . .

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hmm, i'm no expert but i'd say you should be having some sort of treatment for your TBI/ABI.

Have you asked a doctor why it seems you're only being treated for bipolar?
I haven't a clue if any of your bi-polar treatment would also help in terms of the other issues, perhaps it does...
Like I say, best talk it over with a doctor, bernie.

A

aliiiqt

i have been diagnosed with bipolar-like symptoms after my TBI, i am on medication and my psychiatrist is pushing for me to go to DBT (dialectical behavior therapy) near me.. i haven't gotten in there yet but maybe you could possibly look into that? not sure if i am allowed to say that or not.. but after i get into that, i can maybe let you know how it's impacted me?