• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Treatment ideas

B

blueorange

I stopped medication 5 days ago.
Lamictal - serious side effects
Lithium - confusion, poor memory, lack of awareness, dissociation kind of things

pdoc wanted me to switch to carbamazepine this time by first decreasing the dosage of lithium. I just don't want to. I read it also has some bad side effects. I don't want to loose my mind again. Afraid of side effects. Anyway, also afraid of major depression. So what can I do, any suggestions?

I'm working, I can't risk my job anymore. I was already away for months because of major depression. Now with drugs, you know, I'm becoming stupid and dull.

In these 5 days, with no drugs, I think I'm ok, not sure. At least I'm less stupid.

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

I think you should talk to a professional before taking yourself of medication, especially something like lithium. I took myself of depakote because I thought I didn't need it and ended up with a terrible manic period.

Be well!
Davey x

V

Viktoria

I agree please discuss it with your doctor first. Take care xxx

B

blueorange

I think you should talk to a professional before taking yourself of medication, especially something like lithium. I took myself of depakote because I thought I didn't need it and ended up with a terrible manic period.

Be well!
Davey x
Thank you Davey

Do you remember when did you end up with manic period? I mean how many days later? This is 5th day and I'm still ok.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think it should ultimately be your choice to whether to take psychiatric drugs or not - Some people can manage without them. There are a lot of alternative approaches, the difficulty is accessing them, & depends what approaches you think would help.

Some see it all as illness, & other people take more sociological, psychological & spiritual perspectives.

One example here -

bipolarORwakingUP - The Spiritual Side of Bipolar Disorder

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

Thank you Davey

Do you remember when did you end up with manic period? I mean how many days later? This is 5th day and I'm still ok.
I don't, it was a while after but my manic periods come on gradually so it's hard to pinpoint. But don't just remove yourself in one go like that, see a doctor of some description and discuss first, particular a psychiatrist if you can

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

i think it should ultimately be your choice to whether to take psychiatric drugs or not - Some people can manage without them. There are a lot of alternative approaches, the difficulty is accessing them, & depends what approaches you think would help.

Some see it all as illness, & other people take more sociological, psychological & spiritual perspectives.

One example here -

bipolarORwakingUP - The Spiritual Side of Bipolar Disorder
I think this is a fair point but I'm more concerned that blueorange seems to have withdrawn in one swoop, i'm not sure if that is the way to go if you wanted to be med free. The problem with bipolar is it leads you to believe you don't need the meds anymore and meds are the proven help for it, therapy is wasted on bipolar in my opinion. I get my therapy for my BPD which when combined with a manic phase can be hugely damaging to me.

I understand will have alternative views though, I can only speak for myself that the meds (depakote and quetiapine) do help my BP

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think this is a fair point but I'm more concerned that blueorange seems to have withdrawn in one swoop, i'm not sure if that is the way to go if you wanted to be med free. The problem with bipolar is it leads you to believe you don't need the meds anymore and meds are the proven help for it, therapy is wasted on bipolar in my opinion. I get my therapy for my BPD which when combined with a manic phase can be hugely damaging to me.

I understand will have alternative views though, I can only speak for myself that the meds (depakote and quetiapine) do help my BP
It's probably not a good idea in most cases to cold turkey off meds. Many people claim they are best helped with psychiatric drugs, & that nothing else works, which is fair enough - was just pointing out some people do heal & live medication free, using alternative approaches, after apparently being labelled & medicated by the system. Blueorange doesn't sound too happy with the current drug treatments?

B

blueorange

I was taking 1200 mg lithium daily and took 600 mg 1 day and 300 mg the other day, then stopped. My pdoc did not tell me to do it like that for sure. I know, ok I'll talk to him. But still I don't want to take any drugs and also don't want to have any depression or mania.

B

blueorange

It's probably not a good idea in most cases to cold turkey off meds. Many people claim they are best helped with psychiatric drugs, & that nothing else works, which is fair enough - was just pointing out some people do heal & live medication free, using alternative approaches, after apparently being labelled & medicated by the system. Blueorange doesn't sound too happy with the current drug treatments?
I was happy at first, I mean, quetiapine was great, it really saved my life. Actually I had some side effects but at that time I was in major depression couldn't even remember what was going on in life. Then pdoc introduced lamictal. I had serious side effects to lamictal, blood cell counts decreased dramatically, fever 40C, rash, abdomen pain, liver problems etc. Then switched to lithium. Blood tests, dosage increase etc. At first it seemed good, no mood changes, easy life. Then I became dull, mental depression, it was really awful (still have some). I thought that I have some other issues, neurological or dissociative. I talked to my pdoc and he said these are possible with lithium. Some rare side effects and we better give it a try with low dosage and switch to carbamazepine if low dosage does not work.

I'm just tired.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm just tired.
i'm tired too. Have had 25 years of it all & 16 years on the last medication, that i can't see i'll ever get off. i've always tried to resist the meds & try alternatives.

This whole culture & medical system is geared to people taking pills. i do think there is a very valid place for medications, but i also think there is too much focus on it all & meds are far too over & widely prescribed. i can't argue with the entire system/society over it all. Just seems a shame that there isn't more access to other approaches. i think there can be major potential implications to long term medication use.

Parissa

Parissa

Most of us get to the point of wanting to try without the medication. It is something many need to do. It may go well, it may go badly. I wish you had tapered slowly though as it can be very dangerous to stop cold turkey. They aren't smarties, they have a huge affect on your brain.

Good luck

Love Parissa

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Most of us get to the point of wanting to try without the medication. It is something many need to do. It may go well, it may go badly. I wish you had tapered slowly though as it can be very dangerous to stop cold turkey. They aren't smarties, they have a huge affect on your brain.

Good luck

Love Parissa
Thank you parissa,mi wholeheartedly agree with this.
I stopped my medication which i have been taking on and off for 5 or 6 years.
I personally had a hard time off it, at the time.
I'm back on it and feel this is a good place at the moment.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think people should be given a fully informed choice & as much access to alternatives as possible - before being stuck on these drugs.

More i think should also be done to inform people of the safest methods of supported withdrawal.

B

blueorange

i think people should be given a fully informed choice & as much access to alternatives as possible - before being stuck on these drugs.

More i think should also be done to inform people of the safest methods of supported withdrawal.
What are the alternatives? Can you give me a link or the keywords maybe for me to search? I don't want to take your time.
I may be wrong in stopping the medication I don't know. I still do not regret this. I feel better, at least for now:/