• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Treatment by nurses

T

Tiddle

Don't know what to think about the treatment I have been getting lately for SH. On the last 4 occasions they have made me wait till everyone in the room has been seen even those that have come in after myself. It's not even the case that others are in more danger most are sprained ankles etc so no greater risk than I am so should be seen in order I reckon.

The worst thing though is that they have stitched me without numbing first - they say they have and they put the needle in but it wasn't numb and I was too shy to say anything so had to sit it out on the last 4 times.

Think I have over done my welcome as they were always really good with me and really respectful - time to go somewhere else may be.

Has anyone else had this happen to them ?

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm sorry you've been treated so poorly that is not on at all. I think you should complain to the hospital concerned.
:hug1: xx

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I have had a nurse not use any kind of pain relief or numbing.. it's horrible.
I once saw a really kind nurse who told me that nurses should always offer to numb the area, and if they don't, it's bad practise and you're within your right to request something.

It's really difficult to know whether they were just having a very busy day and genuinely made a mistake in not seeing you sooner, or if they may be trying to be "cruel to be kind" (in the sense that they want to put you off of doing it).
Thing is though, once you've done it, you deserve to be treated with compassion and respect.

I'm sorry you had that rubbish experience. I hope there isn't a next time, but if there is, I hope you get better treatment. :hug:

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I'm sorry you've had bad treatment tiddle, it sounds like you've had a tough time lately x I would deffo look into making a complaint to the hospital - if someone went in with something like a dislocated shoulder and they didn't administer pain relief before popping it back in you'd complain right? Well this is no different, you deserve to be treated with respect and compassion no matter how your injury came about.
Can I ask, do you always see the same person? Or are these different people not giving pain relief?
I've been lucky in the past 5 or so years and my local a and e are very good with me, but I have I the past had shocking treatment with SH including not getting the area numbed before stitches and one dr actually told me I was wasting his time when there were people with 'real' injuries that needed his attention! - I so should have complained about that!
Be kind to yourself tiddle x